Ajit Joshi

Default HELP: partition wall frames for basement

Hello all,
I am trying to build partition wall frames with 2x4 wood studs (I am
using the green ones on the bottom). When I try to put a screw, the
bottom one (bottom studs) goes through fine but for the top studs (I
believe I am using stimsun studs from home depot), it is becoming
extremely difficult to put the screws on. It just doesn't go in even
with lot of force; the screws seem to be getting jammed midway
through. I am using a craftsman 9.6 volt driver (I am planning on
buying a 14.4v on soon). Is there certain type of stud that I should
be avoiding, the studs I am using now seem to be very dry and brittle
too and feel very fibery because I hear that screeching sound. I am
getting very frustrated with this. Thank you very much for all the
help.

-ajit
UnFriendly Fire

Default partition wall frames for basement

"Ajit Joshi" wrote in message
m...
Hello all,
I am trying to build partition wall frames with 2x4 wood studs (I am
using the green ones on the bottom). When I try to put a screw, the
bottom one (bottom studs) goes through fine but for the top studs (I
believe I am using stimsun studs from home depot), it is becoming
extremely difficult to put the screws on. It just doesn't go in even
with lot of force; the screws seem to be getting jammed midway
through.

Take a bar of soap and scrape the screw on it to cover the screw threads
with soap. Works wonders

Randd01

Forget the cordless use a 120 volt drill and you wont have any trouble. The
best way to build partition walls is to make them up on the floor that way you
eliminate most toe nailing or screwing which is weak. Take a few measurments
for height at various places and subtract and inch and a half from that
measurement. Make your walls up lying on the floor. When done stand them up
slide them in place and fasten the toe plate to the floor, then place a second
2X4 on the top and fasten to the ceiling joists when level.
This is the quickest and easist way unless you floor is way out of whack. In
that case you have no choice but to do it in place and toenail it. For this a
120Volt drill will work fine. I nail gun is even better.