orangetrader

The optimum position would be for the rack to center over one of the studs,
so from there, 12" each way I cannot reach two studs. I can only screw into
one stud so the horizontal pieces will not be too secured. Not sure if I am
making sense.

"mwlogs" wrote in message
I was with you until you screwed the vertical pieces to the horizontal

ones.
What are these for? Just screw the two horizontal pieces across two

studs,
then mount your rack to them. I assume your rack has two holes at the top
and two at the bottom? Space your horizontal pieces so they are as far
apart as the holes and you should be set.

At 24" wide your pieces may not be centered over the studs, but you'll

still
get screws into two studs if they the studs are 16 o.c.

"orangetrader" wrote in message
I have a metal rack that is 24" wide and 48" tall, it is a metal modular
rack with various attachments - hooks, shelves, knobs etc...and has four
attachment holes on the vertical edges of the frame. Ideally I would

like
to attach drill four screws through the holes into the wall studs. But

of
course the studs are 16" apart, and I can't even position it such that

one
side of the frame will match up with the frame because I like to center

it
and align it with a door adjacent to it such that when the door is fully
opened it will cover up the rack on the wall.

I can use toggle bolts but I don't think the drywall will have enough
strength. I thought about cutting two pieces of wood and mount it
horizontally into the studs above and below, and then screw two vertical
pieces to them to form a frame, but this will not be symmetrical.

Any idea?