Dan Gravell

Default Levelling for a wine rack in a cellar

Hi peeps,

I've got this pre assembled wine rack - actually a couple of them, as
they are modular. I've been living with one of them for a while but
since my wine collection has grown I now need to add this second rack,
clip them together, and install them on the floor of my cellar.

The trouble is, the cellar floor is uneven, so try as I might wherever I
site the rack I can't get it level.

Furthermore I need to fasten it to the plywood lined walls using those
clips or, if the wall is near enough, a long screw. The wall has a
cheapo skirting effect at the bottom, so it's hard to get the rack near
the wall.

So basically I'm looking for some idea as to how to build a levelling
for the rack, and perhaps raise it above the skirting somehow (probably
a good idea to have it off the ground anyway, as it has been known to
flood).

Thank you for any ideas,

Dan
Dan Gravell

simon beer wrote:

you don't say what sort of size this thing is but I imagine it not huge. For
speed you could buy some kitchen cabinet feet from Screwfix or B&Q screw
them to a piece of ply large enough to accommodate your rack and then
position against wall. These would have the advantages of keeping the rack
up off the ground and as they plastic they will not rot, also they very easy
to level. If you don't like the look of the feet you could hide them with
some more ply, cut to the right height after levelling, fixed to the front
and sides as the feet also come with plinth clips.
HTH.

Sounds like an idea! Don't care about the look at all. I've got some
spare wood/ply/mdf lying around, could use that.

Thanks very much,

Dan
Lurch

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:22:43 +0000, Dan Gravell
strung together this:

Furthermore I need to fasten it to the plywood lined walls using those
clips or, if the wall is near enough, a long screw. The wall has a
cheapo skirting effect at the bottom, so it's hard to get the rack near
the wall.

Fix a batten to the wall to fix into, this will then hold the top of
the rack away from the wall the same distance as the skirting.

So basically I'm looking for some idea as to how to build a levelling
for the rack, and perhaps raise it above the skirting somehow (probably
a good idea to have it off the ground anyway, as it has been known to
flood).

Anything you can find that's suitable, bits of ply, bricks,
concrete..... Depends how permanant, water resistant and tidy you want
it
--

SJW
Weatherlawyer

Fix a batten to the wall to fix into, this will then hold the top of
the rack away from the wall the same distance as the skirting.

You may need to pack the batten out to get the rack plumb.

If you don't have a spirit level you can drop a line (from the height
you want to fix this batten at) to the skirting using a string with a
biro tied to it. (Put the string through the top of the biro. This will
allow it to drop straight.)

Anything you can find that's suitable, bits of ply, bricks, concrete.

Put a row of bricks on edge to get 4 inches off the ground and a slab
of slate or garden tile or paving to raise it a little more. Pack it
level with sand and cement (4 to 1 & a fairly dry mix) to get it level.

You will need a level for that. A cheap one from the local car boot
will do. Don't buy a plastic one. (For some reason best known to
themselves Tesco are flogging some real shidte like that for sickmess.)

How to check a level:

You need a firm flat surface. Take some loose change with you. Lay it
on the surface and pack up one side until the bubble sits in the
middle. Turn the level end for end and if the bubble is still in the
middle, buy it.

Dan Gravell

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Put a row of bricks on edge to get 4 inches off the ground and a slab
of slate or garden tile or paving to raise it a little more. Pack it
level with sand and cement (4 to 1 & a fairly dry mix) to get it level.

You mean pack the level mix on top of the tile/slab? Or inside the
hollow formed by the bricks and tile? This will require many tiles...

Dan

Lurch

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:17:04 +0000, Dan Gravell
strung together this:

You mean pack the level mix on top of the tile/slab? Or inside the
hollow formed by the bricks and tile? This will require many tiles...

No, on top of or below the bricks.
--

SJW
Dan Gravell

Lurch wrote:

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:17:04 +0000, Dan Gravell
strung together this:

You mean pack the level mix on top of the tile/slab? Or inside the
hollow formed by the bricks and tile? This will require many tiles...

No, on top of or below the bricks.

Ok, sorry for being slow but I don't see where the tile comes in... so
far I have:

[RACK HERE]
----------
Bricks: | | |
----------
Sand: **********

Where does the tile go? Is it to place the rack on?

Dan
Lurch

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:14:24 +0000, Dan Gravell
strung together this:

Ok, sorry for being slow but I don't see where the tile comes in... so
far I have:

[RACK HERE]
----------
Bricks: | | |

Where does the tile go? Is it to place the rack on?

Yes, set the tile on the bricks so you have a sturdy level surface to
place the rack on. You basically want to build a doorstep.
--

SJW

Want to make a wine rack.. what saw/tools? Keith Woodworking 8 October 23rd 04 04:08 AM
Wine Rack Fats Woodworking 9 August 30th 03 04:35 AM
Building wine racking for my cellar Igor Woodworking 4 August 12th 03 01:28 PM