Igor

Default Building wine racking for my cellar

On 11 Aug 2003 12:08:27 -0700, (MikeQ) wrote:

I am in the process of constructing a wine cellar in my basement and I
am running into a few problems. I am unable to find any plans that
show the construction of custom individual bottle wine racks (see
example:
http://www.wineenthusiast.com/shoppi...9-11C96240FEC6).
I have found many plans for smaller racks or for "low cost" options
(PVC pipes, ceramic drain pipes, all plywood construction, etc.). I
am interested in making my racks from redwood to hold from 800-1000
bottles. I will be making diamond racks, standard shelf style racks
and individual bottle racks. I can handle the first 2 on my own but I
would like to find some plans for the individual bottle racks.

Believe me I have searched (I even read "How and why to build a wine
cellar") but the only actual plans I have found that come close is a
show on cellar construction on DIY. I was hoping to find something
with some detail, measurements, etc (The DIY show has the hosts' rough
sketches). Does anyone know where these plans can be found? I have
no problem paying for them (Free plans are great however).

Thanks for your help in advance,

Mike

I suppose we all like free stuff, but one might find some humor in a person
building his own wine rack for 800-100 bottles even mentioning finding a
free plan. But I digress. I learned here in the NG recently about the
power of the google images search engine. A search there for "wine rack
plan" turned up only 6 links. Here is one result:
http://www.gcwoodworks.com/wine_rack...rking_plan.htm. _Full scale_
plans for $12 (maybe plus S&H). BTW, I have seen a number of major wine
cellars and for individual bottle storage some of that is driven by
aesthetics -- i.e., there are numerous choices. That being said, the link
provides an answer based on what you posted. Good luck.
Peter Bogiatzidis

MikeQ,

You might want to take a look at the following Hometime link:

http://www.hometime.com/TV/pastshow/...llr.htm#sketch

There is also a sketch there that you can download that Dean Johnson drew up
for that particular project. Keep in mind that it's a sketch. It does
provide some dimensions as well. At the very least, it could give you some
idea of how to build your wine rack(s). Don't worry about the fact that it's
an .exe file. It's just a self-extracting .pdf file. Hope this helps.

Peter.

"MikeQ" wrote in message
om...
[...]

---

Edwin Pawlowski

"MikeQ" wrote in message
I am unable to find any plans that
show the construction of custom individual bottle wine racks

If you made the same one, it would no longer be custom and individual.

Ed
Who uses an old entertainment center with separators. and wine cases turned
on their side. Very individualized and custom made!

MikeQ

Thanks for your help thus far. Perhaps I should clear some things up:

I have no problem paying for plans.

Thanks for the hometime link, I had seen that already and I was hoping
for something more detailed (I incorrectly referenced it as a DIY plan
in my original post).

The wine rack plan link looks great but I was looking for something
much larger. I am worried about the weight of all the bottles and
want to make sure I am building something that will hold the weight
with no problem.

I am still looking for plans. When I say custom, I only mean that I
would alter the length to fit my space.

Thanks again,
Mike