Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

david

Default Lighting

hi
My Master Bathroom single switch controls nine light one overhead and 8
on the vanity. Is it possible to put the overhead light and the vanity
lights on two separate switches.

thanks

Rich Greenberg

In article . com,
david wrote:
hi
My Master Bathroom single switch controls nine light one overhead and 8
on the vanity. Is it possible to put the overhead light and the vanity
lights on two separate switches.

Yes. How easy it will be depends on how the original wireing was done.

If you are not comfortable working with electrical circuts, STOP here
and call an electrician.

Otherwise, open up the switch and pull the switch out from the box. How
many wires are attached to it? If 2, and neither of them is spliced to
2 others in the box, you probably want to call an electrician.

If there are 3 wires coming into the box and 2 are connected to one side
of the switch, turn the switch to off and using a test light determine
which side of the switch is hot. If its the side with 2 wires, you
probably want to call an electrician.

Otherwise, split the 2 wires apart. CAREFULLY touch one then the other
to the hot side of the switch. If one lites the overhead and the other
lights the vanity, jackpot. Otherwise put things back and you
probably want to call an electrician.

Turn the power off. Get a duplex switch. Its 2 switches that mount in
the space of one. It will require a different switch plate. The duplex
switch will have 4 screws, 2 on each side. Connect the hot to one of
them and add a jumper to the other screw on the same side. (Some duplex
switches will have this jumper internally and have 2 screws on one side
and one on the other. The one is the hot connection.) Connect the wire
to the overhead to one of the other screws and the vanity to the other.

Put back into the box, put the plate on and apply power. If you have
done everything right, the house won't burn down and the lights will be
controlled seperately.

Good luck.

david

hi
I have a total of three wires coming into the box. Two black come to
the right side of the switch and the white wire (this goes to the
electric box) is in a red capping to join electric cables.

Would a duplex switch work with me spiltting the black cable assuming
one black wire goies to the vanity and the other to the overhead light
thanks

Rich Greenberg wrote:

--
Rich Greenberg Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770

321 6507
Eastern time. N6LRT I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er

since CP-67
Canines:Val, Red & Shasta (RIP),Red, husky

Owner:Chinook-L
Atlanta Siberian Husky Rescue. www.panix.com/~richgr/ Asst

Owner:Sibernet-L

On 31 Mar 2005 16:13:02 -0800, someone wrote:

Would a duplex switch work with me spiltting the black cable assuming
one black wire goies to the vanity and the other to the overhead light
thanks

CALL AN ELECTRICAN, YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR HOW THIS
WORKS.

Rich Greenberg

In article . com,
david wrote:
hi
I have a total of three wires coming into the box. Two black come to
the right side of the switch and the white wire (this goes to the
electric box) is in a red capping to join electric cables.

Would a duplex switch work with me spiltting the black cable assuming
one black wire goies to the vanity and the other to the overhead light
thanks

Do the tests that I described to verify that the white is the hot (hot
wires should not be white) and that the 2 blacks go to the vanity &
overhead. It everything checks out, then yes you can use a duplex
switch.

Its just as likely (and the colors match) that the 2 blacks go to the
supply and feed another switch/outlet, and the white joins the vanity
and overhead in the "red capping" which I am guessing is a red wire nut.
You can still use a duplex outlet here, but you must properly identify
the supply and load wires.

IMPORTANT: If you are not comfortable making these tests, CALL AN
ELECTRICIAN.

Rich Greenberg wrote:
In article . com,
david wrote:
[...]

Doug Miller

In article , (Rich Greenberg) wrote:
In article . com,
david wrote:
hi
I have a total of three wires coming into the box. Two black come to
the right side of the switch and the white wire (this goes to the
electric box) is in a red capping to join electric cables.

Would a duplex switch work with me spiltting the black cable assuming
one black wire goies to the vanity and the other to the overhead light
thanks

Do the tests that I described to verify that the white is the hot (hot
wires should not be white) and that the 2 blacks go to the vanity &
overhead. It everything checks out, then yes you can use a duplex
switch.

Bad advice. Didn't you read what he wrote? "I have a total of three wires
coming into the box... two black ... [one] white".

That's _very_ unlikely to be true. There's probably a fourth wire there
somewhere. If there really are only three, it's probably black, white, and
red, not two blacks and a white.

It's clear enough from what he wrote that the white wire does _not_ connect to
the switch, and therefore it is impossible that it is the hot wire.

Furthermore, his description of how the black wires are connected is
ambiguous: "to the right side of the switch". Does that mean they both connect
to a single terminal on the right and something else connects to a terminal on
the left, or does it mean that both of the switch terminals are on the right
side, and one black wire connects to each one?

You're acting as though it's the former - in which case there *must* be a
fourth wire, and therefore the OP's description is incorrect and should not be
relied on as the basis for giving *any* advice.

And if it's the latter - then what you suggest *can't*possibly* work.

Before giving any further advice to the OP, it's important to find out exactly
where those black wires connect, and exactly how many wires are in the box.
I'm betting that:

a) the switch has two terminals, with one black wire connected to each
terminal, and

b) there are *two* white wires, not one, wire-nutted together, and the OP
simply didn't look carefully before deciding there was only one.

--
Regards,

david

thanks
Be assured that i will call an electrician however i would like to
understand it myself.

There are two wires that come into the box lets call them A & B

A - has a white wire(neutral), a ground and a black wire (hot)
B- - has a white wire (neutral), a ground and a black wire (hot)

Both the blacks are connected to the right side of the switch. I see
nothing on the left side of the switch. the two white seemed to be
connect via the wing nut

thanks again for your time and replies

Doug Miller

In article .com, "david" wrote:
thanks
Be assured that i will call an electrician however i would like to
understand it myself.

There are two wires that come into the box lets call them A & B

Let's start by using the proper terminology: you have two *cables* coming into
the box. Each cable has a black, a white, and a bare *wire*.

A - has a white wire(neutral), a ground and a black wire (hot)
B- - has a white wire (neutral), a ground and a black wire (hot)

Correct so far...

Both the blacks are connected to the right side of the switch.

What do you mean, "connected to the right side of the switch"? What,
*specifically*, on the right side of the switch are they connected to?

I see nothing on the left side of the switch.

OK, from this I'll assume that the "right side of the switch" has two screw
terminals, with one black wire connected to each terminal.

the two white seemed to be
connect via the wing nut

All right. Here's what's going on, then: one cable brings power into the
swtich box, and the other cable takes it to the lights - *both* lights. The
white wires are neutral in and neutral out, and the black wires are unswitched
(always on) power in, and switched power out.

It is *not* possible to do what you wanted (install a duplex switch to control
the two sets of lights independently) without re-wiring.

And I'm not going to tell you how to do that. This is a _very_basic_ switch
installation, and - no offense intended - the fact that you had to ask how it
works demonstrates that you don't have nearly the knowledge needed to do the
job safely. I'm glad to hear that you plan to call an electrician. Having said
that... this stuff isn't rocket science. Anyone of normal intelligence can
learn how to do it; there are numerous good books available at most libraries
and bookstores, or at any Home Depot or Lowes store. You *can* learn how to do
this. But you're not there yet.

--
Regards,

david

thanks

Doug Miller

In article .com, "david" wrote:
thanks

Thanks for what? How about quoting some of the post you're replying to? What
are you talking about?

--
Regards,

david

Go to hell.. And this is directed to you Doug

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com,

"david" wrote:
thanks

Thanks for what? How about quoting some of the post you're replying

to? What
are you talking about?

--
Regards,

Nobody ever left footprints in the sands of time by sitting on his

butt.

Doug Miller

In article .com, "david" wrote:
Go to hell.. And this is directed to you Doug

Well, at least you figured out how to post properly. No need to get so ****y
about it... you've been asked several times....

Good luck getting advice in the future. You'll need it, with that charming
attitude.

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com,

"david" wrote:
thanks

Thanks for what? How about quoting some of the post you're replying

to? What
are you talking about?

--
Regards,

Nobody ever left footprints in the sands of time by sitting on his

butt.

Regards,

david

Look who's talking about getting too ****y.. Anyway the "thanks" was
directed to you for your time you spent writing me a reply. And it
probably does not take a genius to figure out who i replied to.

And shove your advice up your ass. Stop talking about my attitude.
Read your replies and decipher who has the attitude problem.

On 1 Apr 2005 11:03:21 -0800, someone wrote:

you must be one. Although i am not stupid and know my limitations.

I wired my first "house" which was a 3 story apartment building.

Legal in that city at that time as I was the owner and had applied for
the permit. An unlicensed person could not do work FOR HIRE but could
do his own work with permit & inspection.

Never said you were stupid but apparently you DON'T know your
limitations. As this is somewhat a matter of opinion, go ahead, its
your house.

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 11:57:52 GMT, someone wrote:

And I'm not going to tell you how to do that. This is a _very_basic_ switch
installation, and - no offense intended - the fact that you had to ask how it
works demonstrates that you don't have nearly the knowledge needed to do the
job safely.

When I tried to tell him that, he got all huffy on me.

I repeat, he has NO IDEA what is going on. To assume or even hope
that the two black wires go to two different fixtures (yet there is
nothing else connected to the switch) shows that he doesn't get the
CONCEPT. And all this stuff about the right side - so what.

Doug Miller

In article .com, "david" wrote:
Look who's talking about getting too ****y.. Anyway the "thanks" was
directed to you for your time you spent writing me a reply. And it
probably does not take a genius to figure out who i replied to.

And shove your advice up your ass. Stop talking about my attitude.
Read your replies and decipher who has the attitude problem.

It wasn't me who wrote "Go to hell" or "Shove it up your ass".

Looks like the one with the attitude problem is .... you .

--
Regards,

david

Never said you were stupid but apparently you DON'T know your
limitations. As this is somewhat a matter of opinion, go ahead, its
your house.

As a matter of fact i know my limitations proved in the fact that i
asked the question.

david

Wipe your tears cry baby

david

I did not get huffy with you. All i wanted were answer to my questions.
I don't get the concepts so i posted for help.

Doug Miller

In article , (v) wrote:
On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 11:57:52 GMT, someone wrote:

And I'm not going to tell you how to do that. This is a _very_basic_ switch
installation, and - no offense intended - the fact that you had to ask how it
works demonstrates that you don't have nearly the knowledge needed to do the
job safely.

When I tried to tell him that, he got all huffy on me.

Yeah, well, look how he's taking my suggestions that he should quote a little
bit of the posts he's replying to. If there was ever someone who needed more
fiber in his diet, it's him.

I repeat, he has NO IDEA what is going on.

I know that. I was *hoping* that the detailed explanation I gave him would
help him to understand that.

To assume or even hope
that the two black wires go to two different fixtures (yet there is
nothing else connected to the switch) shows that he doesn't get the
CONCEPT.

Yep.

And all this stuff about the right side - so what.

Yep. Even after I explicitly pointed out the ambiguity of his terminology, and
requested that he clarify exactly *what* those wire attach to, he still didn't
catch on. I hope he doesn't burn his house down, or, if he does, I hope he's
the only person who lives there. Hate to see someone else's life endangered by
his lack of understanding.

--
Regards,

david

Actually Doug your explaination did help alot that why i thanked you.
whole new level with your comments.

Doug Miller

In article .com, "david" wrote:
Actually Doug your explaination did help alot that why i thanked you.
whole new level with your comments.

You need more fiber in your diet, David.

--
Regards,

david

You've got your head so far up your ass you can chew your food twice.

Doug Miller

In article .com, "david" wrote:
You've got your head so far up your ass you can chew your food twice.

Oatmeal is high in fiber, David.

--
Regards,

david

Most repair manuals are far more interesting than you, and far less
turgid to read. Do yourself and everyone else a favor: take a fatal
overdose of your medication.

In closing, I offer these heartfelt words: Go suck on a frozen pineapple