Rich Greenberg

In article . com,
david wrote:
hi
My Master Bathroom single switch controls nine light one overhead and 8
on the vanity. Is it possible to put the overhead light and the vanity
lights on two separate switches.

Yes. How easy it will be depends on how the original wireing was done.

If you are not comfortable working with electrical circuts, STOP here
and call an electrician.

Otherwise, open up the switch and pull the switch out from the box. How
many wires are attached to it? If 2, and neither of them is spliced to
2 others in the box, you probably want to call an electrician.

If there are 3 wires coming into the box and 2 are connected to one side
of the switch, turn the switch to off and using a test light determine
which side of the switch is hot. If its the side with 2 wires, you
probably want to call an electrician.

Otherwise, split the 2 wires apart. CAREFULLY touch one then the other
to the hot side of the switch. If one lites the overhead and the other
lights the vanity, jackpot. Otherwise put things back and you
probably want to call an electrician.

Turn the power off. Get a duplex switch. Its 2 switches that mount in
the space of one. It will require a different switch plate. The duplex
switch will have 4 screws, 2 on each side. Connect the hot to one of
them and add a jumper to the other screw on the same side. (Some duplex
switches will have this jumper internally and have 2 screws on one side
and one on the other. The one is the hot connection.) Connect the wire
to the overhead to one of the other screws and the vanity to the other.

Put back into the box, put the plate on and apply power. If you have
done everything right, the house won't burn down and the lights will be
controlled seperately.

Good luck.