Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Otter

Default Febreze Laundry Solution, R.I.P. ?

First off, I'd like to ask your forbearance for having crossposted this to
three groups. Mea culpa magna. I do believe that the best answer would
probably benefit Febreze users on all three groups though. The situation is
this: My wife and I use Febreze laundry additive on a regular basis to
remove pet and other odors from laundry. Unfortunately, our local
Albertson's here in Northern California seems to have stopped selling the
product, and none of the other big chains in the area have it either. There
are OTHER Febreze products, but not the laundry additive. My wife believes
that P & G have stopped making it, and that leads us to wonder how we're
going to find a substitute that works just as well as the Febreze did. She
has written a letter to P & G asking why the product appears to have been
cancelled, but hasn't received a response yet. So I suppose that this
plaintive cry from the wilderness is to ask three questions:

1. Does any know of a substitute for Febreze Laundry additive that works
just as well ?
2. If you know of a place that still sells and ships it, would you please
share the phone number and/or web page ?
3. Failing the above two, does anyone have a home-grown recipe for something
that would be just as effective ? I've heard of a 1/4-Downy to 3/4-Water
combo, but I don't know if that's for real or not.

Eddie

Nicole H

baking soda in the wash water?
maybe a little more detergent
make sure to soak clothes that are heavily soiled...
i put fabric softener in my laundry and that makes the clothes smell good
"Otter" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Chloe

"Otter" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

snip

I hate when stuff like this happens. I think P&G has been doing major
repositioning on Febreeze and I suspect they've discontinued the product.
Their web page specifically suggests the following--don't know if this is
where you wrote or not:

"For questions about Febreze Laundry Odor Eliminator, please contact
Changing Paradigms LLC. Here's how you can reach them:

Changing Paradigms LLC
7786 Service Center Dr.
West Chester OH 45069
1-888-334-4890
"

Gary Heston

In article ,
Otter wrote:
First off, I'd like to ask your forbearance for having crossposted this to
three groups. Mea culpa magna. I do believe that the best answer would
probably benefit Febreze users on all three groups though. The situation is
this: My wife and I use Febreze laundry additive on a regular basis to
remove pet and other odors from laundry. Unfortunately, our local
Albertson's here in Northern California seems to have stopped selling the
product, and none of the other big chains in the area have it either.

[ ... ]

What was special about the laundry additive? I.e., could you simply
unscrew the top of a spray bottle and pour in some of it's contents?

For pet odor removal, Natures' Miracle or Simple Solution work well;
perhaps adding an ounce or two to a load would work. Alternatively,
you could spray the clothes when putting them in the hamper.

Gary

--
Gary Heston

"Sept. 11, 2001, already a day of immeasurable tragedy, cannot be
the day liberty perished in this country." Judge Gerald Tjoflat
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"Chloe" wrote:

"For questions about Febreze Laundry Odor Eliminator, please contact
Changing Paradigms LLC. Here's how you can reach them:

Changing Paradigms LLC
7786 Service Center Dr.
West Chester OH 45069
1-888-334-4890
"

This reads to me that they have sold off the prodict to someone else. P&G likes
to concentrate on brand leaders. If the product doesn't meet sales targets, they
spin it off to a management team or some other company.

Bill Seurer

Otter wrote:

1. Does any know of a substitute for Febreze Laundry additive that works
just as well ?

Normal laundry detergent. If you have to add stuff to get smells out
then you are doing something wrong in washing. Are you overloading the
washer? Using hard water? Is your washer about to die? What detergent
are you using?
--

-Bill
Nan

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:24:51 -0600, Bill Seurer
scribbled:

Otter wrote:

1. Does any know of a substitute for Febreze Laundry additive that works
just as well ?

Normal laundry detergent. If you have to add stuff to get smells out
then you are doing something wrong in washing. Are you overloading the
washer? Using hard water? Is your washer about to die? What detergent
are you using?

Incorrect. My dh and ds both have had horribly dirty and smelly work
clothing that regular laundry detergent doesn't clean completely. No
matter what I've done. I have found that adding a cup of ammonia to
the wash water helps immensely.

Nan

ing

Otter wrote:

1. Does any know of a substitute for Febreze Laundry additive that works
just as well ?

Normal laundry detergent. If you have to add stuff to get smells out
then you are doing something wrong in washing. Are you overloading the
washer? Using hard water? Is your washer about to die? What detergent
are you using?

Incorrect. My dh and ds both have had horribly dirty and smelly work
clothing that regular laundry detergent doesn't clean completely. No
matter what I've done. I have found that adding a cup of ammonia to
the wash water helps immensely.

You're right, Nan. Ammonia is terrific for
eliminating odours from clothes that laundry
detergent doesn't get out. Specially pet smells. I
know, I have two dogs and a cat. Plus, ammonia is
almost as cheap as water, so it's frugal as the
dickens. One thing to remember though is, DON'T
EVER use ammonia and bleach together in the same
wash. Ammonia jug has a big warning on the side
about that.

ing

Chloe

"Gary Heston" wrote in message
In article ,
Otter wrote:
First off, I'd like to ask your forbearance for having crossposted this to
three groups. Mea culpa magna. I do believe that the best answer would
probably benefit Febreze users on all three groups though. The situation
is
this: My wife and I use Febreze laundry additive on a regular basis to
remove pet and other odors from laundry. Unfortunately, our local
Albertson's here in Northern California seems to have stopped selling the
product, and none of the other big chains in the area have it either.

[ ... ]

What was special about the laundry additive? I.e., could you simply
unscrew the top of a spray bottle and pour in some of it's contents?

snip

No. Febreeze is designed to work on dry fabric.

Chloe

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote in message
"Chloe" wrote:

"For questions about Febreze Laundry Odor Eliminator, please contact
Changing Paradigms LLC. Here's how you can reach them:

Changing Paradigms LLC
7786 Service Center Dr.
West Chester OH 45069
1-888-334-4890
"

This reads to me that they have sold off the prodict to someone else. P&G
likes
to concentrate on brand leaders. If the product doesn't meet sales
targets, they
spin it off to a management team or some other company.

Maybe. It also reads to me like they may have an outside company handling
consumer questions, complaints, etc. for a product they simply discontinued.
From doing consumer testing for them I have some knowledge of the subject at
hand, but wouldn't want to breach my confidentiality agreement, even if they
couldn't figure out who I am g.

SoCalMike

Chloe wrote:
Maybe. It also reads to me like they may have an outside company handling
consumer questions, complaints, etc. for a product they simply discontinued.

febrese?

i always thought it was a stupid idea.
Chloe

"SoCalMike" wrote in message
Chloe wrote:
Maybe. It also reads to me like they may have an outside company handling
consumer questions, complaints, etc. for a product they simply
discontinued.

febrese?

i always thought it was a stupid idea.

I don't know anything about the product that's the subject of this thread.
The spray-on stuff for use on dry fabrics is excellent when it comes to
getting odors out of things like upholstery that can't be easily cleaned
otherwise.

SoCalMike

Chloe wrote:

I don't know anything about the product that's the subject of this thread.
The spray-on stuff for use on dry fabrics is excellent when it comes to
getting odors out of things like upholstery that can't be easily cleaned
otherwise.

does febrese actually eliminate the odor, or just mask it?
Serendipity

SoCalMike wrote:

febrese?

i always thought it was a stupid idea.

It's good for freshening and removing odours from vertical blinds made
from heavy fabric. That's about the only thing I use it for. I find
the smell of febreze a little strong myself.
Viviane

This has me baffled too. What's wrong with the detergent you use? Is the
machine not effective. I also find that drying the clothes in fresh air and
with sunlight helps, but that is probably something most yanks would have
difficulty understanding since you tend to overuse your clothes driers. Why
stuff up the environment to dry your clothes when it can be done naturally.

"Bill Seurer" wrote in message
Otter wrote:

1. Does any know of a substitute for Febreze Laundry additive that works
just as well ?

Normal laundry detergent. If you have to add stuff to get smells out then
you are doing something wrong in washing. Are you overloading the washer?
Using hard water? Is your washer about to die? What detergent are you
using?
--

-Bill

Serendipity

Viviane wrote:

This has me baffled too. What's wrong with the detergent you use? Is the
machine not effective. I also find that drying the clothes in fresh air and
with sunlight helps, but that is probably something most yanks would have
difficulty understanding since you tend to overuse your clothes driers. Why
stuff up the environment to dry your clothes when it can be done naturally.

If I'm not mistaking, the OP has pets that creates odours on certain
washable items that they need an odour eliminator. I've never used the
product in question so can't really comment on it. With respect to
using clothes dryers, those with allergies, asthma, or other respiratory
disorders are well advised to use a clothes dryer rather than hanging
clothes on the line outdoors. Outdoor allergens such a moulds and
pollens create a real problem. While a clothes line is frugal, not
everyone can use one. Aside of the health issues, certain rental units
prohibit outdoor clothes lines as does some new subdivisions and condo
units. Another problem is weather. We had a very wet and cool summer
and autumn, not very conducive to drying clothes outdoors. It has been
wet or damp with heavily cloudy skies here for the past two weeks, again
not very conducive to drying clothes outdoors. Few of us can go two or
three weeks without doing laundry. Wet and damp conditions are perfect
breeding gounds for moulds and mildews that are not only potententially
dangerous allergens but also destroy perfectly good clothes! In the
winter, clothes freeze on the lines without actually getting dry and if
you are really lucky an ice storm with blow up to freeze them again. DH
isn't too fond of putting on frozen skivies Better yet is when the
birds leave their calling card and you have to start all over again.

Oh, and I'm not a yank either. I dry my clothes in a clothes dryer
though because that is what is dictated by my situation. Please don't
judge everyone here with one paint brush!

Otter wrote:

1. Does any know of a substitute for Febreze Laundry additive that works
just as well ?

Normal laundry detergent. If you have to add stuff to get smells out then
you are doing something wrong in washing. Are you overloading the washer?
Using hard water? Is your washer about to die? What detergent are you
using?
--

-Bill

Chloe

"Serendipity" wrote in message
SoCalMike wrote:

febrese?

i always thought it was a stupid idea.

It's good for freshening and removing odours from vertical blinds made
from heavy fabric. That's about the only thing I use it for. I find the
smell of febreze a little strong myself.

I think the original scent was a problem for many consumers. I don't know
about in Canada, but in the US they now sell it in several new scents, most
of which I find less objectionable. IIRC allergies were a problem for you.
There's a version they claim reduces allergens. I don't use it, but one of
my friends swears it works.

Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Bill

We use OdorOut and like it better than Fabreze!

Rather than using it in the wash, we keep a tattered washrag in the
dryer that is lightly dampened with the Odor Out between each load.

In a few closets, we have 'spent' air freshener modules (the plastic
flat cylinder with the 'ink blotter' ring inside) that we rewet the
ink blotter with OdorOut about once a month.

TTUL
Gary

Nan

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:04:40 +1100, "Viviane"
scribbled:

This has me baffled too. What's wrong with the detergent you use? Is the
machine not effective. I also find that drying the clothes in fresh air and
with sunlight helps, but that is probably something most yanks would have
difficulty understanding since you tend to overuse your clothes driers. Why
stuff up the environment to dry your clothes when it can be done naturally.

"most yanks". Hmmmmm.
At any rate, drying clothing outdoor is not recommended for people who
suffer outdoor allergies.
Where we live, outdoor lines aren't allowed by management, but I do
get away with putting it up and taking it down each time I use it.
People living in apartments, condos and the like also cannot line dry.
Try to understand not everyone is trying to stuff up the environment!

Nan

Nan

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:50:44 -0500, Joel M. Eichen
scribbled:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:57:21 -0500, Nan wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:04:40 +1100, "Viviane"
scribbled:

This has me baffled too. What's wrong with the detergent you use? Is the
machine not effective. I also find that drying the clothes in fresh air and
with sunlight helps, but that is probably something most yanks would have
difficulty understanding since you tend to overuse your clothes driers. Why
stuff up the environment to dry your clothes when it can be done naturally.

"most yanks". Hmmmmm.
At any rate, drying clothing outdoor is not recommended for people who
suffer outdoor allergies.

Or people living in the 'hood!

Aren't we all just environment stuffing heathens that carry guns
around?

Nan
Sweep

"Viviane" wrote in message
u...
This has me baffled too. What's wrong with the detergent you use? Is the
machine not effective. I also find that drying the clothes in fresh air

and
with sunlight helps, but that is probably something most yanks would have
difficulty understanding since you tend to overuse your clothes driers.

Why
stuff up the environment to dry your clothes when it can be done

naturally.

Bit of a generalisation and it's not just yanks . Church Housing supply
washers and driers, no lines allowed. Plenty of maisonettes + flats here -
Britain - that have no lines. there again I know plenty of people that can't
be arsed to stick it on the line due to laziness.

Otter wrote:

1. Does any know of a substitute for Febreze Laundry additive that

works
just as well ?

Normal laundry detergent. If you have to add stuff to get smells out

then
you are doing something wrong in washing. Are you overloading the

washer?
Using hard water? Is your washer about to die? What detergent are you
using?
--

-Bill

Joel M. Eichen

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:48:20 -0500, Nan wrote:

[...]

Nah, my RPG gets tied up inside the bedsheets ......

Jane Sitton

Nan wrote:
[...]

I used to line dry when I was a stay at home mom. Now I work, and hubby
is disabled. He has limited range of motion in his arms, neck, and
back, so line drying is out. It is all he can do just to get a load to
the dryer. My son is too short to hang things to dry, but I guess my
daughter could. However, we now have a dog who goes nuts when he hears
sheets snapping in the breeze, and rips them off the line in an attempt
to kill them, I guess.

--Jane

Jane Sitton

Nan wrote:

[...]

When I lived in Denton, TX, near UNT, but in a bad side of town, I had
clothes stolen off the line a couple of times. The last straw was when
my autographed REM t-shirt went missing. After that, I always went to
the laundrymat to dry, since my apartment didn't have a hookup for a dryer.

--Jane

Joel M. Eichen

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:27:17 GMT, Jane Sitton
wrote:

Nan wrote:

[...]

Worse!

Around here people are accosted and the clothes are stolen off their
body!

Joel

The last straw was when
my autographed REM t-shirt went missing. After that, I always went to
the laundrymat to dry, since my apartment didn't have a hookup for a dryer.

--Jane

Nan

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:27:17 GMT, Jane Sitton
scribbled:

When I lived in Denton, TX, near UNT, but in a bad side of town, I had
clothes stolen off the line a couple of times. The last straw was when
my autographed REM t-shirt went missing. After that, I always went to
the laundrymat to dry, since my apartment didn't have a hookup for a dryer.

I don't blame you! I haven't had anything go missing from our
clothesline, but I doubt anyone really wants hubby's torn up work
jeans ;-)

Nan
Nan

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:07:09 GMT, Dawn scribbled:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:33:03 -0500, Nan wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:27:17 GMT, Jane Sitton
scribbled:

When I lived in Denton, TX, near UNT, but in a bad side of town, I had
clothes stolen off the line a couple of times. The last straw was when
my autographed REM t-shirt went missing. After that, I always went to
the laundrymat to dry, since my apartment didn't have a hookup for a dryer.

I don't blame you! I haven't had anything go missing from our
clothesline, but I doubt anyone really wants hubby's torn up work
jeans ;-)

My neighbour is a painter and decorator. He's had his paint-splattered
overalls and jeans nicked more than once.
OTOH When a line is full people around here will use a neighbour's
line. I came home to find a line full of washing that I subsequently
took in and folded when rain threatened. It wasn't claimed for three
days and then by someone living a few streets away!

Wow! That would be very out of the ordinary here.

Nan

Otter

"Otter" wrote in message
. com...
First off, I'd like to ask your forbearance for having crossposted this to
three groups. Mea culpa magna. I do believe that the best answer would
probably benefit Febreze users on all three groups though.

....snip...

And so I do it for the second, and final, time... Thank you to the many
respondants to my questions, both those who answered and those who
commented. The issue appears to have been resolved to my wife's and my
satisfaction by the PR department of Procter & Gamble. They replied to her
email to indicate that the product was still available at certain merchants
including Albertson's where we shop and that they had not discontinued it.
We'll have to order it special, but other than that everything's fine. All
that notwithstanding, there were some questions raised in the reply posts
that I would like to address before I wander off.

1. SoCalMike: "i always thought it was a stupid idea.". In all fairness, so
did I until my wife proved to me that it didn't just mask the smell of cat
urine, it eliminated it and all without destroying or changing the color of
the fabric. Give it a shot some time when you're trying to get out smoke or
pet or other smells.

2. Gary Heston: The spray products with the Febreze name all serve different
purposes and may be used for spots, but not for total garment treatment...
unless you want to spray every square inch of course, but nonetheless they
are different. We do use Nature's Miracle for other stuff. Thanks for
bringing that point up as there may be other people who have not heard of it
and may benefit.

3. Bill Seurer: "Normal laundry detergent" with a "normal washer" is good
for normal dirt in normal clothes. Anything out of the ordinary requires
non-ordinary measures.

4. Viviane Question 1: "What's wrong with the detergent you use?" - Nothing.
It is the most popular commercial laundry detergent sold in North America
and very effective on a wide range of soils.
4. Viviane Question 2: "Is the machine not effective." - It is indeed and it
is less than two years old and used twice a week on average.
4. Viviane Question 3: "I also find that drying the clothes in fresh air and
with sunlight helps, but that is probably something most yanks would have
difficulty understanding since you tend to overuse your clothes driers." -
Ah, yes. I think I see the problem here... You're assuming that we in the
northern colonies still wash our clothes by beating them against rocks down
by the river. No... not any more. We have something new here now called
"electricity", and indoor plumbing. Together they allow us to do our
laundry indoors without fear of being attacked by Indians, mountain lions or
wolves.

5. Serendipity: Thank you. Thank you again. FWIW: I'm a Canadian, but my
wife is a citizen of the U.S. I think we have enough problems here at the
moment without being insulted to boot.

6. Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr: Thank you Gary. I've never heard of OdorOut,
but I am looking it up as we speak... er... type. Thanks again.

Eddie

The Data Rat

I put a small amount of liquid fabric softener in my my wash right along
with laundry soap. The clothes still have a fresh smell like the softener,
but not as heavy. My teenaged son works at a fast food place and we have
found this to be the ONLY way to remove those gross greasy odors that hang
on. So, maybe whoever told you 1/4 downey to 3/4 cup of water was correct.
\\

. com...