Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default House won't Sell - Need Advice

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 23:28:56 GMT, "H H" wrote:

Hi. I've lurked in this group awhile and I am in need of some advice

We've had our home on the market over 90 days. We have had only 1 offer in
that time,
and the deal fell through. We, along with our agent, have no idea what the
issues are.
The house is clean, and in overall good condition. Our house is not a "money
pit",
even though the "pits" here have sold.

I've seen allot of advice that says the reason for us still on the market is
may be price, which we
have lowered 3 times. I am beginning to think that we were never priced
right from the
beginning. Now, given that the summer is almost over, it's too late.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

I'm sure more thoughts will follow but briefly my random thoughts are
(bear in mind these are generic and not intended to put your house
down) :

a) items that weren't in good condition may have been a sticking
point???

b) location

c) floor plan

d) colors (I think this shouldn't be that big of a deal but who
knows)

e) financing terms

f) selling price (some price ranges sell faster than others)

g) how well you are cooperating with your realtor, ie: to make the
house available for showings, etc...

Perhaps ask your realtor to ask the other realtors who have shown your
home what input they are getting from their clients.

I'm sure I've overlooked some but the other replies will cover them.

Be patient !!!

** remove .invalid from my email address to reply by email **

Una

H H wrote:
We, along with our agent, have no idea what the issues are.

It sounds like your agent is the problem.

Una

GoldLexus

When we had our house up for sale, our Realtor always called the buyers
realtors to get input. BUT it was not helpful. Either my Realtor would never
get ahold of the other realtor or if my Realtor was able to get a realtors
input the input we would get wasn't helpful. We would always here that it is
a 'very nice house' and 'it showed very well' 'it's priced well'. Never got
many reasons why the buyers that have been there didn't want to make an
offer. If it was a very nice house that showed well then why did it take 8
months to sell??? The price was right (according to all the buyers realtors
input). Never really knew why it took so long. We got full asking price with
no conditions other than an inspection which passed with no problem.
Realtor inputs as far as I can see is worthless. They don't tell you
anything.

wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 23:28:56 GMT, "H H" wrote:

Perhaps ask your realtor to ask the other realtors who have shown your
home what input they are getting from their clients.

Be patient !!!

** remove .invalid from my email address to reply by email **

---

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 06:36:00 GMT, "GoldLexus" wrote:

When we had our house up for sale, our Realtor always called the buyers
realtors to get input. BUT it was not helpful. Either my Realtor would never
get ahold of the other realtor or if my Realtor was able to get a realtors
input the input we would get wasn't helpful. We would always here that it is
a 'very nice house' and 'it showed very well' 'it's priced well'. Never got
many reasons why the buyers that have been there didn't want to make an
offer. If it was a very nice house that showed well then why did it take 8
months to sell??? The price was right (according to all the buyers realtors
input). Never really knew why it took so long. We got full asking price with
no conditions other than an inspection which passed with no problem.
Realtor inputs as far as I can see is worthless. They don't tell you
anything.

wrote in message
.. .

Each case varies but what harm does it do to ask????

** remove .invalid from my email address to reply by email **

H H

Our agent does the same thing. She tells us she contacts "all" of the other
agents. Our agent tells us no one has ever said anything negative about
the house. Our price is "right" also based on the reasons you list.
We are actually at the lower end of the range of houses that are
available in this subdivision. Based on my experience so far,
I would have to agree that Realtor inputs are worthless.

ink.net...

wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 23:28:56 GMT, "H H" wrote:

Perhaps ask your realtor to ask the other realtors who have shown your
home what input they are getting from their clients.

Be patient !!!

** remove .invalid from my email address to reply by email **

---

H H

House in this subdivision "normally" sell in 90 days or less.

"Gary" wrote in message
om...
90 days in the down economy? Took almost a year to sell our home.

"H H" wrote in message

gy.com...
Hi. I've lurked in this group awhile and I am in need of some advice

We've had our home on the market over 90 days. We have had only 1 offer

in
that time,

H H

Thanks for responding. I really appreciate it.

Here is a quick rundown of answers to your points.

a) What items? No one has ever indicated(our agent included)
that we need to do this or that to fix things.

b) We are an end unit townhouse with no association. We are
walking distance to an elementary school and 10 minutes to the mall.

c) We are not the largest floor plan in our subdivision, but not the
smallest.

d) Bedrooms/bathrooms are neutral colors. Most of rest of house
is a light tan color.

e) No conditions/pre-conditions listed.

f) We are "middle of the pack" for this.

g) In the 50+ showings(no typo) we have only said the house wouldn't
be available 6 or 7 times.

It has gotten to the point where I think about taking the house off the
market, painting it Antique White throughout,
getting rid of or storing some of our larger furniture pieces. I think my
furnace may be a sticking point, but it is in
well-maintained condition. At this point, the house we wanted we lost. Also,
the financing program we were
approved for has expired. So, at this point, we have no other house to go to
and our new mortgage isn't as "good"
as the last one.

wrote in message
[...]

Dr. Doctor

I am on the market for a new place and the nicer places we looked but did
not make offers on had some of these issues come up (these may or may not
apply to your situation.(these are only with the nicer places I looked and
would consider buying)

1. Not enough parking (only room for 1 vehicle)

2. loud neighborhood (music blaring from down the street)

3. house was stale inside (owner were away and windows were closed)

4. floor plan

5. useable part of yard was a northern exposure

I guess sometimes the things that are making your place not sell as fast as
you would like can be out of your control and cant be corrected.

tip for selling I use are
1. get rid of any clutter
2. pack away anything you may not need, (rooms appear larger)
3. no brainier here keep place clean and tidy inside and out, weed
flowerbed, weedtrim around fence, vacuum, no dirt dishes, closets tidy up
out ect.
4. fix those small things that are not issues and don't bother you.
5. Currently my neighbor has a larger dog that barks at his own shadow I
asked my neighbor they could have dog inside when place shows she agreed
6. have all curtain / blinds open get inside as bright as possible when
showing,
7. open windows up in all room weather permitting
8. have fresh cut flowers in vase in house ( if possible I don't have this
all the time but will buy flowers every week or so if the place is showing
frequently)
9. have any info available in house when showing (sales flyer)
10. when listing the house I check out the market see what prices other
places in neighborhood are selling at , your realtor should be able to find
what prices they sold for to come up with a good price. In the area I am
moving from places that are not sold within the 1st 30 days are usually
overpriced.

Hope that helps

GoldLexus

Interests have gone from 40 year lows to 30 year lows. Still a good deal.

"Chuckles" wrote in message
"H H" wrote in
y.com:

However, you are too late for low interest rates. Interest rates have
really shot up and this affects what buyers are willing to pay. In our
area 'bargain' houses are selling but higher-priced houses are not.

---

Sunday4

Change the realtor. We had a house down the street sell after 5
months (Washington DC suburb) once they changed realtors and made some
changes the new one recommended - paint, cleaup, etc. The second
realtor outfit was also a smaller company.

Also, your house sits on the MRIS system (Realtor information system)
with information on how long it has been on the market. The longer it
sits, the less attractive it becomes. Potential buyers begin to think
it has problems. You may be able to change this and list the house as
a new listing by taking it off the market for a month or so (not sure
how long - talk to a realtor).

Talk to a different realtor before you go about spending any money on
paint, remodel, etc.

Good luck!
"Dr. Doctor" wrote in message ...
[...]

Al Bundy

"Chuckles" wrote in message
"H H" wrote in
y.com:

However, you are too late for low interest rates. Interest rates have
really shot up and this affects what buyers are willing to pay. In our
area 'bargain' houses are selling but higher-priced houses are not.

---

Many real estate agents are merely order takers. They get paid all
that commission money for handling the paperwork and never really
"sell" anything.
Marc VanHeyningen

Thus said "Dr. Doctor" :
3. house was stale inside (owner were away and windows were closed)

Or, worse, the house reeks of cigarette smoke. Some people may also be
turned off by the smells of pets.

Sailfish

Yours is a good question that applies to many people.. If I were your new agent
right now, I would tell you this. (Some may differ, and if they do, I bet they
will let us know in short order.) I hope you accept it as good news.

There are many good suggestions so far on what may be wrong and what you might
do to do to make your home more attractive to a given buyer. When you boil it
all down, there is only one basic problem. Your Price is too high for the home
you are offering to the potential buyers that are aware of its availability!
What leads to that conclusion?

If someone is specifically LOOKING for a home in your area, and it has been in
the multiple list and on a yard sign for 90 days, they have most likely seen
it. Fact: All who have become aware of it by whatever means have turned it
down at the asking price. The factors that cause rejection are varied and hard
to pin down. You can't change all the internal factors, and none of the
external factors locked in by your location itself, but you can change the price
to compensate for ALL of them.

Without seeing it, a real estate broker knows that at some price there is a
buyer for any home, no matter what the problems are. For example there are
those who only buy environmentally challenged properties. There are others who
buy to tear down and build new. Your home is unique from all others, if only in
location. There is a buyer for it at the right price FOR THAT BUYER!

You can keep offering your home at your current asking price and make that price
more attractive by removing any identified problems over which you have some
control or by adding competitive features. Both will cost you time or money. Or,
you can lower the price and change nothing. Think of it as a reverse auction.
You started higher than anyone will pay and you are going down until sold. As
long as prospects know it is available and what the price is, at some point, a
buyer will jump in.. So it's been on the market "too long" and the price has
been lowered several times, that is not fatal. You are in no hurry and are
simply taking your time in getting to the right price. When you started, you
did not know what the right price was. Now, you have all the evidence you need
to know that it was too high to start, and still is. In the meantime, you have
missed some buyers who have bought elsewhere, but there is still a buyer
waiting for it. It may not sell for the price you would like, but it is salable.

Another key point in your question is that of availability to the interested
prospects. You get a "C" at best for that effort so far. One of those people
you denied a visit may have been viable at or near your price. If you are
serious about selling, make up your mind to go out of your way to make it
available for inspection to everyone who wants to see it, and at a time
convenient to THEM. Your convenience and your agent's convenience is secondary.
Your home has been on the market for 3 months. Saturday morning at 7:30 and I
have to bring my 3 year old? FINE! Get up and get out. Wednesday night in the
middle of your normal dinner hour when you have a guest for dinner is the only
time they have available to come? Come on over! The real estate agent is going
to handle it, you are out of the picture. Go out for dinner, or keep eating but
make sure your dinner is aromatic. Realize that while locals may look at their
leisure for years with the thought of a first home or upgrade when they spot a
bargain in the right place at the right time, many ready, willing and able
buyers are on tight schedules when they go to a new city to find a home. They
look at a handful and buy one. That can happen any time of the year in many
locations.

You are talking about repainting to a different color. If we bought your
townhome, my wife would change the colors no matter how carefully you selected
them. Probably change the carpet also. However, if we knew there had EVER been
a cat in it, we and many others would never look at it at any price because of
allergies among the relative who would visit. Others would not mind.. Every
buyer is different so you cannot please them all no matter what you change.

Last item, the Real Estate Salesperson working with you and the Broker they work
for. When all else fails, it is easy to blame them! There are any number of
things they may be doing wrong or not doing at all. But remember, if your town
is typical, the agent that listed your property is not likely to be the one who
will sell it unless it is a very hot market and it sells before it gets to the
multiple list. That happens. It is not happening for you, but you have the
advantage of the combined resources of every agent in town being aware of your
property so that they may show it to their clients. They want to make a sale.
They eat better when they do. Every one of them would like to sell your home for
you.

You say with the Summer over it is too late to sell? Out of curiosity , where
is your home that it can only be sold in the Summer? Do all the real estate
offices close down in September and the sales people leave town until next
Spring? If so, that sounds like an opportunity for someone to open an office
year round and cater to the skiers and ice fishermen, as well as those
transferring in who did not know Summer was the only time to buy. Is there
really such a place?

Good luck.

H H wrote:

Hi. I've lurked in this group awhile and I am in need of some advice

We've had our home on the market over 90 days. We have had only 1 offer in
that time,
and the deal fell through. We, along with our agent, have no idea what the
issues are.
The house is clean, and in overall good condition. Our house is not a "money
pit",
even though the "pits" here have sold.

I've seen allot of advice that says the reason for us still on the market is
may be price, which we
have lowered 3 times. I am beginning to think that we were never priced
right from the
beginning. Now, given that the summer is almost over, it's too late.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Dorot29701

I live in FL - in the past whenever homes in my neighborhood came on the market
they sold in just days. Now, there are homes on the market - close but not
"in" this subdivision - and the signs have been out for several months. I
believe the market is slowing down and if you have a house for sale you must be
very careful not to over price it and do whatever you can to make it
attractive.

You also may want to go out and buy one of those small St. Joseph statues
(about $1) and bury it upside down in the backyard. It has a reputation for
working miracles - worked for me!

Dorothy
SailFish

I was just doing some research for homes in Atlanta for my daughter , and out
of curiosity, I looked at what is going on in Chicago.. You may be encouraged
to learn that in the Chicago area, 44000 condo/townhomes were sold in 2002. The
prices are up now over last year. Meanwhile, as an indicator of the times,
sales that took 45 days avg last year are now taking 108. The median price is
172K. On the market at the moment, according to realtor.com are over 10,000
townhouses/condos. That is only a 3 month supply based on last year numbers.
As with everything on that site, the numbers will not be accurate as much of
what is going on in a given area is NOT shown on realtor .com. Some homes shown
for sale will have been sold, some listings will not be there, and much will be
incorrect. You can get some ideas there however.

Generally, most people do not know that they can go to their county website and
in many counties find the tax database. In our area, you can find what everyone
in town paid for their house, when, and what the taxes are. You can learn the
house and lot size, number of rooms, and other info that helps you compare with
your own. You can even see an aerial view in many counties, print a plat of the
property, read the actual deed, as well as maps showing all the nearby
amenities, schools, zoning, road plans, etc. A treasure house of info.. It has
always been public info at the courthouse, just available now easier on the
net. It is an easy way to create a list of your neighbors and to find out what
homes around you have sold for recently.. You are primarily interested in recent
sales, but sales up to a year old can help if sales are sparse in your area.
Also, if you look at such a database, ignore the tax assessment value. It
generally is not a reliable indicator of actual market value. Unfortunately,
not every county has all this info yet, but the odds are that Chicago and
vicinity will have a lot of data for you.

Don't be misled by stories of how long it took or what a house sold for similar
to yours somewhere else. Remember the three most important rules in real estate
are still the same after all these years: Location, Location, and Location. Even
in a row of townhouses, no two have the same location. Yours is unique. It has
a different view, gets the sun differently, is closer or further from amenities
or problems, has more heat loss than a central unit, but more privacy. Your
street may have a greatly different price range than one a block away. The
school zones may even be different. Maybe your zip code has more appeal. .And
along those lines, there are some things a real estate agent cannot tell a
prospect that you can. For example, they may not be allowed to advise what
school district the house is in. In that case, if yours is a great school, put a
bumper sticker on your car and your refrigerator with that school name on it.
The buyer with kids will notice it. The rules of the game in some locations
require the buyer to do their own due diligence. The diligent buyer may find out
adverse things about the neighborhood that even you do not know, and the agent
cannot tell them. Ask your agent if there is information known to them about the
area that they feel might influence a buyer pro or con but that they as an
agent are forbidden by law to mention to a buyer. Then you research from there
to know more yourself.

It would be interesting to hear your report when you make your sale.( I was a
little long winded because I love this subject.)

SailFish

H H wrote:

Thanks for all the responses. The point that is coming through to me loud
and clear is that
we were priced wrong from the start and we probably are still priced too
high. But here
is a question. Why keep lowering the price if, perhaps, any offer I get is
not going to be
the asking price? It seems I am just negotiating for someone. Of course, an
answer
could be that I've had no offers, so as long as I am not losing money, what
difference
does a a few thousand dollars make?

We've done all the "tricks". Clear the clutter, keep a clean house, etc.. We
have been very
accomodating for showings as well. You can't be 100% at everything, but we
have
gone out of our way with showings. Yes, we've said "no" to a few, but those
have been
few(very few) and far between.

We are in a Chicago suburb, and we have been told by more than 1 agent that
the
best months to sell/buy around here is June and July. You start to limit the
people
who may be looking. For example, families with kids.

Our plan is now to take the house off the market a few days, come back as a
"New"
listing(we are on MLS), and see what happens. We also plan to have a lower
price.
It's time to not hold back, pull out all the stops.