Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

SnowSky

Default Sell House: Should I start to worry?

Hi,
This is the 8th day that our townhouse is on the market. So far, we
have 4 first showings, 1 second showing, and an open house. According
to my realtor, there are 3 parties dropped by during the 2-hour open
house. One of them loves our house immediately but they have credit
problem right now. Yesterday (Monday) we have no showing. My realtor
said that the 2nd showing didn't go well because the carpet needs to
be replaced pretty soon.

What makes me nervous is that we only have 2 "formal" showings
during the weekend. I expected to have at least 4, because that is
the traffic we saw 2 months ago.

Here is some details about my house:
1. I believe we mark our price right (we decide our price according to
the comparable houses sold in the past 3 months).
2. We have a private big yard overlook some woods. You will not see
any neighbors from the informal dining room and master bedroom.
3. The only problem of the house itself is the carpet. It is 7 years
old. But definitely no stain, no odor and clean.
4. We remove all the clutters and the house is clean.

My question is:
1. Is July generally slower?
2. Is it normal to have only 4 formal showings the first week on the
market?
3. Do you think I should change the carpet?

I know 8 days are denitely not long. However, only 4 showings
definitely make me worry. All of our neighbors sold their home in 2-3
weeks. I really hope I am one of them!

Well.....I think I am a little bit panic at this point. Can't imagine
somebody sell their house for couple months.... It definitely not
fun!

First time home seller.
FC

It is too short a time for you to be worry. It also depends on the overall local
market condition. If your house is sitting there for 3 weeks in a hot market
then maybe there is pricing correction needs to be made. On the other hand if
your house got a couple of offer on the very first day then there is an
indication that it may be priced too low. BTW, now is a bit late but not too
late, because school schedule a lot a real estate transaction happened in
Jun/July so moving can be arranged in July/August time frame and the market
where I lived usually start to taper off in late July early August.

FC

On 7/22/2003 7:32 AM, SnowSky wrote:
Hi,
This is the 8th day that our townhouse is on the market. So far, we
have 4 first showings, 1 second showing, and an open house. According
to my realtor, there are 3 parties dropped by during the 2-hour open

(snip)

My question is:
1. Is July generally slower?
2. Is it normal to have only 4 formal showings the first week on the
market?
3. Do you think I should change the carpet?

I know 8 days are denitely not long. However, only 4 showings
definitely make me worry. All of our neighbors sold their home in 2-3
weeks. I really hope I am one of them!

Well.....I think I am a little bit panic at this point. Can't imagine
somebody sell their house for couple months.... It definitely not
fun!

First time home seller.

GoldLexus

Don't panic. At about 3 weeks consider lowering the price a bit. If a buyer
loves the house carpet is a negotiable item to them. A carpet allowance
could be offered or something.
We sold our home in April after 8 months of it sitting on the market. Our
home was in the starter home price range and priced slightly below other
homes in the area. The market in our area is neutral neither a strong
sellers or strong buyers market. The house was in perfect shape. Our
realtor, friends and family were stumped as to why it wasn't selling. We had
on average 5 showings a week the entire time including at Christmas. Than
FINALLY we had an offer and sold the house $3,000 more than the listing
price! Go figure. Our only reasoning behind why it didn't sell is because
the house was on a flag lot. Our realtor would follow up on most everyone
who came thru and that was the main issue. Not much we could do about the
lot the house was on.
Go the www.realtytimes.com click on Local market conditions find your State
and City there you will see what the Realtors in your area are experiencing
for market conditions.
"SnowSky" wrote in message
om...
[...]

---

JD

If the carpet is as you say it is, replacing it is the worst thing you can
do. Someone just used it as an excuse or they have a stupid agent who didn't
know how to deal with it. If you get more stories like this from your agent,
I'd start to get suspicious about their motives.

8 days is not the time to panic.... relax.

"SnowSky" wrote in message
[...]

Michael Cunningham

My question is:
1. Is July generally slower?
2. Is it normal to have only 4 formal showings the first week on the
market?
3. Do you think I should change the carpet?

Relax... 8 days is nothing.
Dont change anything yet. 4 showings is great IMHO.

You will find a buyer thats right for your home.. nothing is
instant. You hear about people selling their homes in 2-3 weeks
but in reality those are the exceptions. The market is
slowing down IMHO. I wouldnt be suprised if it takes you a
month or two. No need to even consider changing anything until
you are at least a 2 months into it.