Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

Default Wasps and hornets

[f'ups to misc.consumers.house, where I should have posted
originally]

For the m.c.h folks, here's my original article:

I usually use Raid's black can, the one with the tight long-distance
spray. It works great, when I can get a straight level shot at the
next. But when the can is tilted even a little, instead of a long
stream I get useless short-distance fog.

My problem is that my porch railing, about waist high, is a bunch of
vertical 2x2s all capped by the actual railing, which is U-shaped so
that the 2x2s fit tightly into the underside of the U. Of course
this is an ideal place for wasps and hornets to build their nests,
and they do. So I can't get a straight shot at the nest. Instead I
have to bend down and spray upward about 45° at the nest, which of
course doesn't work with my Raid spray.

Is there another brand of wasp and hornet killer that works well but
allows the can to be tilted substantially while spraying?

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:40:26 -0500, tommy wrote:

1. go to WalMart or Home Depot to get this stuff [ or anyhardware store ]
2. Bengal is my fav, self contained is most convenient
3. Home Garden Sprayer can be used for many more purposes and will last forever if
you de-pressurize it after each use. Ask someone at the store what concentrate to use
4. If they're not endangering anybody, I wouldn't kill them . They eat garden and
tree worms.

Thanks for the suggestion, but they're endangering me and anyone who
visits. I've been stung once already.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:28:30 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

[...]

A thought: there are household steam cleaners available, an electric
boiler with a hose with a long nozzle. They're quite portable. Maybe
they cost $100 +- $80 :-)

That might work, but it might also be dangerous - the hornets might be
able to get a few stings in before dying.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

On 21/07/2011 6:28 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
I usually use Raid's black can, the one with the tight long-distance
spray. It works great, when I can get a straight level shot at the
next. But when the can is tilted even a little, instead of a long
stream I get useless short-distance fog.

My problem is that my porch railing, about waist high, is a bunch of
vertical 2x2s all capped by the actual railing, which is U-shaped so
that the 2x2s fit tightly into the underside of the U. Of course
this is an ideal place for wasps and hornets to build their nests,
and they do. So I can't get a straight shot at the nest. Instead I
have to bend down and spray upward about 45° at the nest, which of
course doesn't work with my Raid spray.

$$$$$
$ oOo $
$ oO@Oo $
oOo
-*-
/|\
_ |
_) |/
^--------/|`
# /|||
#

Any questions?
Posted to news.software.readers,misc.consumers.house

On 22/07/2011 2:11 AM, wurm wrote:
And here again is my solution which works AND covers
all bases, yer ****ing trolling tosspot!

What does your unsubstantiated claim have to do with houses or
newsreaders, from-forger?

Spray+flying sting-enabled insect = stung human.

What would you know about humans, from-forger? Certainly you lack
first-hand experience at being one.

solution is in your bin/trash, every day.

[SAFETY ADVICE]
This fix can be carried out naked.
However you should use light footwear.

[proceeds to recommend hazardous-sounding intervention involving holding
an ignited flammable object in a bare hand]

You work for a major American hospital, from-forger? Safety advice like
yours seems like an excellent way to drum up business for the burn ward
during a slow economy, from-forger.

You WILL NOT get burnt.
You WILL NOT get stung.
You WILL NOT start a fire.

What do your unsubstantiated and implausible claims have to do with
houses or newsreaders, from-forger?

the nest is dead, larvae cooked.

Editors Note:
Whilst I myself personally believe you should
leave the lil suckers well alone I would be
abhorred to see nimbys _spraying_ the poor
****ers. So I offer this humane effective "kill".

Further evidence that you know little about humans, from-forger; you
consider roasting things alive to be a "humane kill". Obviously they do
things differently on your planet.

Perhaps you hail from Venus, where temperatures like that are not
considered horrible or even abnormal, from-forger? Though under at least
two of your many other handles you've claimed to be from Australia, it
now seems likely that that is not your birth land, from-forger. (And by
the way your from-forgery and bogus west-coast timezone don't fool
anyone -- your foul stench is recognizable after reading a single
paragraph of your nocturnal Usenet emissions, from-forger.)

Please get your silicon-based arse -- presuming that members of your
species have arses -- back to whence you came and return to farming
volcanos or whatever it is your kind do to get by up there, from-forger.
(Absent an arse, substitute any other appropriate anatomical region,
from-forger.)
Posted to news.software.readers,misc.consumers.house

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 06:06:55 -0400, Greg Sandoval wrote:

[...]

Wow! A real Usenet flame. That really brings back memories, of a time
when men were men, women were women, and Usenet flamewars were carried
out by erudite academics and tech geniuses rather than preteen AOLers
whose sum total capability in the insult-slinging arena boils down to
typing "FAG" in all caps or using assorted four-letter words.

Bravo!

Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

Gene E. Bloch writes and having writ moves on.
On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:28:30 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but they're endangering me and anyone who
visits. I'v

A thought: there are household steam cleaners available, an electric
boiler with a hose with a long nozzle. They're quite portable. Maybe
they cost $100 +- $80 :-)

That might work, but it might also be dangerous - the hornets might be
able to get a few stings in before dying.

Get a small soup can (sauerkraut will do) and screw it through the
bottom to the flat side of a 1x3 about four to six feet long.
Put a small amount of newspaper in the bottom and light it. Then
add some dried moss or semi dried grass to the can. Since there
won't be much air circulating you should get quite a bit of
smoke. This will drive the wasps away from the nest without
provoking an all out attack.

I did this once to rid our shed of several hundred wasps.

Mike "all their nest are belong to you" Yetto
In practice they are not.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

From: "Mike Yetto"

[...]

That's why I use a water jet.
It doesn't kill them (well, maybe a few), it drives them away and because "flood" is a
natural occurence, it isn't flagged as a an intruder attack and put them on defense and
cause them to seek an attacker.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

David H. Lipman writes and having writ moves on.
From: "Mike Yetto"

[...]

In keeping with the natural disaster theme you can always shake
the nest while yelling EARTHQUAKE.

Let someone else try it first.

Mike "throw rocks and yell ASTEROID" Yetto
In practice they are not.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

From: "Mike Yetto"

David H. Lipman writes and having writ moves on.
From: "Mike Yetto"

[...]

Didn't Charelton Heston already do that one ? ;-)

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

From: "Mike Yetto"

[...]

Laughing at 6.5 on the Richter scale...

Gene "or is it the rictus scale?" Bloch

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Posted to news.software.readers,misc.consumers.house

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:32:46 +0000 (UTC), Type Hint wrote:

[...]

Which brings up another idea: use a propane torch to kill the vespids.

Be sure to call the fire department first.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

From: "Mike Yetto"

[...]

Are you trying to release a flood of bad puns?

Mike "wash that smile right off your face" Yetto
In practice they are not.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

From: "Mike Yetto"

[...]

Me? Seems unlikely :-)

Just trying to crack you up...

Mike "wash that smile right off your face" Yetto

VBG

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
Stan Brown wrote:
[f'ups to misc.consumers.house, where I should have posted
originally]

For the m.c.h folks, here's my original article:

I usually use Raid's black can, the one with the tight long-distance
spray. It works great, when I can get a straight level shot at the
next. But when the can is tilted even a little, instead of a long
stream I get useless short-distance fog.

My problem is that my porch railing, about waist high, is a bunch of
vertical 2x2s all capped by the actual railing, which is U-shaped so
that the 2x2s fit tightly into the underside of the U. Of course
this is an ideal place for wasps and hornets to build their nests,
and they do. So I can't get a straight shot at the nest. Instead I
have to bend down and spray upward about 45° at the nest, which of
course doesn't work with my Raid spray.

[ ... ]

Use a shop-vac with a long rigid extension to collect the flying wasps
around the nest; plug the hose and set the vac in the sun for a few
hours to kill them. Then, get some pressure-treated 1x2 and use it to
fill in the underside of the railing. That should eliminate the problem.

Gary

Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:03:22 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

That's why I use a water jet.
It doesn't kill them (well, maybe a few), it drives them away and because "flood" is a
natural occurence, it isn't flagged as a an intruder attack and put them on defense and
cause them to seek an attacker.

I agree that the water jet seems safe to the user. But, as you say,
it doesn't kill them. Turn off the water and they come back to the
nest or just build another one, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but
wasps aren't like bees or ants: they don't need a queen to survive.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 19:08:40 -0500, Gary Heston wrote:
Then, get some pressure-treated 1x2 and use it to
fill in the underside of the railing. That should eliminate the problem.

This actually seems like a good long-term solution, and I'm surprised
I didn't think of it. It'll take a lot of measuring, though, because
there are several dozen vertical posts, meaning several dozen pieces
of 1x2 to fill in the undersides.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

In article ,
Mike Yetto writes
[snip]
Mike "all their nest are belong to you" Yetto

Should that not be "all your math are belong to Basti"? :-)
--
Misha
Free on-line, off-site backups?
Posted to news.software.readers,misc.consumers.house

In article , Gene E. Bloch not-
lid writes
[snip]
Be sure to call the fire department first.

Did you ever read, or see, "Fahrenheit 451"?
--
Misha
Free on-line, off-site backups?
https://mozy.com/?ref=UK45Y5
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

From: "Stan Brown"

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:03:22 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

That's why I use a water jet.
It doesn't kill them (well, maybe a few), it drives them away and because "flood" is a
natural occurence, it isn't flagged as a an intruder attack and put them on defense and
cause them to seek an attacker.

I agree that the water jet seems safe to the user. But, as you say,
it doesn't kill them. Turn off the water and they come back to the
nest or just build another one, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but
wasps aren't like bees or ants: they don't need a queen to survive.

Instinct would tell them that this wasn't a good place for their nest because of the flood
event and they would find another, in a different location.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Posted to news.software.readers,misc.consumers.house

From: "vg4cysss7001" ]

In article , Gene E. Bloch not-
lid writes
[snip]
Be sure to call the fire department first.

Did you ever read, or see, "Fahrenheit 451"?

Why ?
Are they paper wasps ?

--
Dave
Multi-AV Scanning Tool -

Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

Stan Brown wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:03:22 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

That's why I use a water jet.
It doesn't kill them (well, maybe a few), it drives them away and because "flood" is a
natural occurence, it isn't flagged as a an intruder attack and put them on defense and
cause them to seek an attacker.

I agree that the water jet seems safe to the user. But, as you say,
it doesn't kill them. Turn off the water and they come back to the
nest or just build another one, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but
wasps aren't like bees or ants: they don't need a queen to survive.

I've been reading this thread and it has confirmed my suspicions
that if there is a really dramatic flash bang way of doing
something simple, you yanks will chose that way.

For a simple no nonsense method Google "ant powder"+wasps, or
ignore that and just use a really big water cannon or a really big
flame thrower.

Sheesh.
Posted to news.software.readers,misc.consumers.house

On 2011-07-23, David H. Lipman wrote:

Why ?
Are they paper wasps ?

Wasps that feed on bookworms?

nb
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

Steve writes and having writ moves on.
Stan Brown wrote:

[...]

How is a hose or a simple smoker and less simple than ant powder
and an, as yet, undisclosed method to use it?

Mike "some people just like to criticise Americans" Yetto
In practice they are not.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

vg4cysss7001 ] writes and having writ moves on.
In article ,
Mike Yetto writes
[snip]
Mike "all their nest are belong to you" Yetto

Should that not be "all your math are belong to Basti"? :-)

No.

Mike "unless you want to count the wasps" Yetto
In practice they are not.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

Stan Brown wrote:

[...]

Undisclosed?
MID om
"Puff ant powder into entrance hole at night when they are not
flying". Virtually zero chance of getting stung and far simpler
than smoking or soaking them out.

Mike "some people just like to criticise Americans" Yetto

I don't go out of my way to criticise Americans. Sometimes,
though, they just make such big targets.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

Steve writes and having writ moves on.
Undisclosed?
MID om
"Puff ant powder into entrance hole at night when they are not
flying". Virtually zero chance of getting stung and far simpler
than smoking or soaking them out.

I see the problem. You're assuming that everyone reads all of
your posts.

Mike "no, that isn't what happens" Yetto
In practice they are not.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

Mike "the blinkered ****" Yetto wrote:

How is a hose or a simple smoker and less simple than ant
powder and an, as yet, undisclosed method to use it?

Undisclosed?
MID om
"Puff ant powder into entrance hole at night when they are not
flying". Virtually zero chance of getting stung and far simpler
than smoking or soaking them out.

I see the problem. You're assuming that everyone reads all of
your posts.

Mike "no, that isn't what happens" Yetto

Yeah, I can see how a blinkered **** would have a problem reading a
thread before opening his big uninformed gob.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 01:18:53 +0100, Steve wrote:

Mike "the blinkered ****" Yetto wrote:

How is a hose or a simple smoker and less simple than ant
powder and an, as yet, undisclosed method to use it?

Undisclosed?
MID om
"Puff ant powder into entrance hole at night when they are not
flying". Virtually zero chance of getting stung and far simpler
than smoking or soaking them out.

I see the problem. You're assuming that everyone reads all of
your posts.

Mike "no, that isn't what happens" Yetto

Yeah, I can see how a blinkered **** would have a problem reading a
thread before opening his big uninformed gob.

newsgroup where the post in question was posted.

Gene "how can Mike dare to forsake telepathy!" Bloch

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:48:03 -0700, Gene E. Bloch wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 01:18:53 +0100, Steve wrote:

Mike "the blinkered ****" Yetto wrote:

How is a hose or a simple smoker and less simple than ant
powder and an, as yet, undisclosed method to use it?

Undisclosed?
MID om
"Puff ant powder into entrance hole at night when they are not
flying". Virtually zero chance of getting stung and far simpler
than smoking or soaking them out.

I see the problem. You're assuming that everyone reads all of
your posts.

Mike "no, that isn't what happens" Yetto

Yeah, I can see how a blinkered **** would have a problem reading a
thread before opening his big uninformed gob.

newsgroup where the post in question was posted.

Gene "how can Mike dare to forsake telepathy!" Bloch

I screwed up, but that does happen from time to time.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Posted to news.software.readers,misc.consumers.house

In article , David H. Lipman
writes
From: "vg4cysss7001" ]

In article , Gene E. Bloch not-
lid writes
[snip]
Be sure to call the fire department first.

Did you ever read, or see, "Fahrenheit 451"?

Why ?
Are they paper wasps ?

No, but they have a special way with fire.
--
Misha
Free on-line, off-site backups?
https://mozy.com/?ref=UK45Y5
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

On 25 Jul 2011 00:25:52 GMT,
Just Me , in
wrote:
vg4cysss7001 wrote:

In article , Gene E. Bloch
writes
I screwed up, but that does happen from time to time.

So you're not an alien, then?

Still could be. After all look how bad they screwed up at Roswell.

At Roswell, they forgot to convert the calculations to metric units...

isn't looking good, either.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

Mike Yetto wrote:

Steve writes and having writ moves on.
Mike "the blinkered ****" Yetto wrote:

How is a hose or a simple smoker and less simple than ant
powder and an, as yet, undisclosed method to use it?

Undisclosed?
MID om
"Puff ant powder into entrance hole at night when they are not
flying". Virtually zero chance of getting stung and far simpler
than smoking or soaking them out.

I see the problem. You're assuming that everyone reads all of
your posts.

Mike "no, that isn't what happens" Yetto

Yeah, I can see how a blinkered **** would have a problem reading a
thread before opening his big uninformed gob.

Then why do you do it.

Ner, ner. How old are you, four?
I didn't say I hadn't read the whole thread, you did.

BTW, for some reason I don't see your posts unless I pull the
parent post to a response.

Yeah, right. Now you see me, now you don't. How convenient.

Mike "slrn's scoring is better then I thought" Yetto

********.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,news.software.readers

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:52:21 +0100, vg4cysss7001 wrote:

In article , Gene E. Bloch
writes
I screwed up, but that does happen from time to time.

So you're not an alien, then?

Not sure. For one thing, my surname might be related to various European
words for alien :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Posted to news.software.readers,misc.consumers.house

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:57:36 +0100, vg4cysss7001 wrote:

Gee, Gene, which newsgroup are you in? :-)

I a m i n a l l o f t h e m !

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

How to kill hornets - special situation [email protected] Home Repair 39 June 26th 09 01:38 AM
Hornets Jim Home Repair 17 August 21st 05 07:49 PM
How to remove multiple hornets/wasps nests from attic... Ken Moiarty Home Repair 15 June 5th 05 01:47 PM
Preventing wasps & hornets from behind shutters Alan Sung Home Ownership 1 May 19th 05 07:28 PM