Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Experiences with, opinions on "Shark Bite" pipe fittings?

wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 08:23:28 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Nov 28, 10:32 am, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 11/25/2010 7:50 AM, brassplyer wrote:

I needed to replace an outside spigot, was hoping for find one that
used a compression fitting, the guy at Home Depot was trying to sell
me on these Shark Bite pipe fittings.

I may be the only one who has had a shark bite fail. It was on a copper
line that had a slight curve in it and it was not quite round. Leaked
immediately. Not a lot, but enough.

Jeff

"I may be the only one who has had a shark bite fail"

I don't think it's really fair to say that the "Shark Bite failed".

I know it could be considered semantics, but to say that the "Shark
Bite failed" tends to point blame at the Shark Bite when, by your own
implied admission, you didn't follow the installation instructions.

You can't blame the Shark Bite for that.

It would be safe and accurate to say the "sharkbite installation
failed"

Or, it would be safe and accurate to say that "Sharkbites may not work on
applications where tubing is crushed, bent, curved, out of round, corroded,
punctured, folded, mutilated, split, expanded past its original diameter, or
otherwise junk."

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

I'm remembering an old jingle from years ago, "do not fold, bent,
spindle, or mutilate".

My general sense with Sharkbite, is that a couple years from now the
shark teeth will corrode. And a lot of fittings will be popping off.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

Or, it would be safe and accurate to say that "Sharkbites may not work
on
applications where tubing is crushed, bent, curved, out of round,
corroded,
punctured, folded, mutilated, split, expanded past its original
diameter, or
otherwise junk."

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
On 11/25/2010 7:50 AM, brassplyer wrote:
I needed to replace an outside spigot, was hoping for find one that
used a compression fitting, the guy at Home Depot was trying to sell
me on these Shark Bite pipe fittings.

I may be the only one who has had a shark bite fail. It was on a copper
line that had a slight curve in it and it was not quite round. Leaked
immediately. Not a lot, but enough.

Jeff

Most copper connectors would have failed on tubing with a slight curve and
not quite round.

Steve

100% agreement from me. I have experienced problems with standard
compression fittings in that same case.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Nov 28, 4:47*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'm remembering an old jingle from years ago, "do not fold, bent,
spindle, or mutilate".

My general sense with Sharkbite, is that a couple years from now the
shark teeth will corrode. And a lot of fittings will be popping off.

Fluoride in the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote:

On Nov 28, 10:32 am, Jeff wrote:
[...]

I cut the line back to where it was relatively straight, perhaps a
radius of 6'. Not obviously visually out of round, but I don't doubt
that it was. It installed easily and is impossible to take apart, but it
did leak. Remarkable devises, but not "fool" proof, but what is?

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

The Daring Dufas wrote:

I could have sworn that I read or saw a documentary showing that there
is an original Roman fountain that is still flowing without
interruption in the same location it was built centuries ago but I
couldn't find a reference with a quick search. I did find that some
have been moved and or restored. I do think that their high tech lead
pipes, dinnerware and lead containing food and drink may have caused
their slow decline.

It wasn't lead that did 'em in. It was iron.

In the hands of the Vandals.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:47:08 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'm remembering an old jingle from years ago, "do not fold, bent,
spindle, or mutilate".

My general sense with Sharkbite, is that a couple years from now the
shark teeth will corrode. And a lot of fittings will be popping off.

Stainless steel stands up to an awfull lot
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 14:05:44 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

On Nov 28, 4:47Â*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'm remembering an old jingle from years ago, "do not fold, bent,
spindle, or mutilate".

My general sense with Sharkbite, is that a couple years from now the
shark teeth will corrode. And a lot of fittings will be popping off.

Fluoride in the water.

As long as the fitting doesn't leak, non of the flouride will ever
see any parts that will corrode - assuming you still have flouridated
water. In Waterloo region the last municipal election, which had a
turnout of some 40%, had a plebecite on flouridation and by a 1%
margin of that low turnout, flouride was shut off.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:50:49 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
On 11/25/2010 7:50 AM, brassplyer wrote:
I needed to replace an outside spigot, was hoping for find one that
used a compression fitting, the guy at Home Depot was trying to sell
me on these Shark Bite pipe fittings.

I may be the only one who has had a shark bite fail. It was on a copper
line that had a slight curve in it and it was not quite round. Leaked
immediately. Not a lot, but enough.

Jeff

Most copper connectors would have failed on tubing with a slight curve and
not quite round.

Steve

100% agreement from me. I have experienced problems with standard
compression fittings in that same case.

Colbyt

I've experienced failures of standard compression joints when the
tubing was round and straight.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Nov 28, 5:43*pm, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 11/28/2010 4:08 PM, Steve B wrote:

.. .
*wrote:

On Nov 28, 10:32 am, Jeff *wrote:
[...]

Impossible to take apart due to your faulty installation or impossible
to take apart because you don't know how to take them apart?

They come apart just about as easily as they go together by simply
pressing in on the plastic ring. You can do it with any number of
tools/items you have lying around the house or you can buy either one
of the removal tools shown he

http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbi..._fit_tools.php

The Removal Clip was about $3 at HD last time I looked.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote:
I'm remembering an old jingle from years ago, "do not fold, bent,
spindle, or mutilate".

My general sense with Sharkbite, is that a couple years from now the
shark teeth will corrode. And a lot of fittings will be popping off.

Fluoride in the water.

*As long as the fitting doesn't leak, non of the flouride will ever
see any parts that will corrode - assuming you still have flouridated
water. In Waterloo region the last municipal election, which had a
turnout of some 40%, had a plebecite on flouridation and by a 1%
margin of that low turnout, flouride was shut off.

It was a son-of-a-dentist joke. Corroding teeth in the Sharkbite...?
Fluoride in the water? Sigh. Nevemind.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
On 11/25/2010 7:50 AM, brassplyer wrote:
I needed to replace an outside spigot, was hoping for find one that
used a compression fitting, the guy at Home Depot was trying to sell
me on these Shark Bite pipe fittings.

I may be the only one who has had a shark bite fail. It was on a copper
line that had a slight curve in it and it was not quite round. Leaked
immediately. Not a lot, but enough.

Jeff

Most copper connectors would have failed on tubing with a slight curve
and
not quite round.

Steve

100% agreement from me. I have experienced problems with standard
compression fittings in that same case.

Colbyt

I've experienced failures of standard compression joints when the
tubing was round and straight.

In those cases, you "expect" it to work. In cases of miscut or bent tubing,
it's just a Hail Mary pass. I think actually that a lot of failures come
from the cutting process, and that is crushing or malformation of the tube
that comes from trying to cut it too fast.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Does fluoride work on sharkbite teeth? Might..... I know dentists have
been all for fluoride, for as long as I can remember.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
I'm remembering an old jingle from years ago, "do not fold, bent,
spindle, or mutilate".

My general sense with Sharkbite, is that a couple years from now the
shark teeth will corrode. And a lot of fittings will be popping off.

Fluoride in the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Clare Should have opened wider, the oxygen to the brain might have
allowed Clare to get the joke.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RicodJour"
wrote in message

On Nov 28, 9:17 pm, wrote:

As long as the fitting doesn't leak, non of the flouride will ever
see any parts that will corrode - assuming you still have
flouridated
water. In Waterloo region the last municipal election, which had a
turnout of some 40%, had a plebecite on flouridation and by a 1%
margin of that low turnout, flouride was shut off.

It was a son-of-a-dentist joke. Corroding teeth in the Sharkbite...?
Fluoride in the water? Sigh. Nevemind.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Nov 29, 7:47*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Clare Should have opened wider, the oxygen to the brain might have
allowed Clare to get the joke.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"RicodJour"
wrote in ...

On Nov 28, 9:17 pm, wrote:

As long as the fitting doesn't leak, non of the flouride will ever
see any parts that will corrode - assuming you still have
flouridated
water. In Waterloo region the last municipal election, which had a
turnout of some 40%, had a plebecite on flouridation and by a 1%
margin of that low turnout, flouride was shut off.

It was a son-of-a-dentist joke. *Corroding teeth in the Sharkbite...?
Fluoride in the water? *Sigh. *Nevemind. *

They are pretty handy for joining different types of plumbing. I used
a couple to connect cpvc to pex. I don't see any advantage to them
for cpvc or pvc as both are easily glued. I'm guessing the big sale
point is for people with copper pipe that can't solder. Or just get
tired of trying to get all the water out so they can solder.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Nov 28, 9:17 pm, wrote:

As long as the fitting doesn't leak, non of the flouride will ever
see any parts that will corrode - assuming you still have
flouridated
water. In Waterloo region the last municipal election, which had a
turnout of some 40%, had a plebecite on flouridation and by a 1%
margin of that low turnout, flouride was shut off.

It was a son-of-a-dentist joke. *Corroding teeth in the Sharkbite...?
Fluoride in the water? *Sigh. *Nevemind. *

They are pretty handy for joining different types of plumbing. *I used
a couple to connect cpvc to pex. *I don't see any advantage to them
for cpvc or pvc as both are easily glued. *I'm guessing the big sale
point is for people with copper pipe that can't solder. *Or just get
tired of trying to get all the water out so they can solder.- Hide quoted text -

....or need to work in very tight spaces like a joist bay-rim joist
area. BTDT

....or need to work near combustible materials.

....or are just in a hurry. BTDT

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote:

On Nov 28, 10:32 am, Jeff wrote:
[...]

Nothing. Especially an item that was built to work on straight tubing that
is used on "relatively" straight tubing. You would have done better with a
compression fitting that crushes the "relative" out of there.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Impossible to take apart due to your faulty installation or impossible
to take apart because you don't know how to take them apart?

They come apart just about as easily as they go together by simply
pressing in on the plastic ring. You can do it with any number of
tools/items you have lying around the house or you can buy either one
of the removal tools shown he

http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbi..._fit_tools.php

The Removal Clip was about $3 at HD last time I looked.

reply: If one cannot remove a SharkBite fitting, they need to turn in their
tool apron.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Nov 28, 9:17 pm, wrote:

[...]

reply: That was my situation when I went to HD and was buying "stuff" to
fix a burst pipe. The SB changed a three hour job into a fifteen minute
one.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Nov 28, 9:17 pm, wrote:

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

"The SB changed a three hour job into a fifteen minute one."

I turned off the water, cut a pipe, installed a Shark Bite cap and
turned the water back on - all before the TV commercial was over.

Cleanup was pretty easy too: I dropped my pipe cutter back into the
drawer and threw the little plastic bag away.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On 11/28/2010 5:59 PM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I could have sworn that I read or saw a documentary showing that there
is an original Roman fountain that is still flowing without
interruption in the same location it was built centuries ago but I
couldn't find a reference with a quick search. I did find that some
have been moved and or restored. I do think that their high tech lead
pipes, dinnerware and lead containing food and drink may have caused
their slow decline.

It wasn't lead that did 'em in. It was iron.

In the hands of the Vandals.

I was under the impression that lead poisoning had a lot to do with
scrambling the brains of the leadership. If the leadership has gone full
goose bozo, how could they lead the army? 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"brassplyer" wrote in message
I needed to replace an outside spigot, was hoping for find one that
used a compression fitting, the guy at Home Depot was trying to sell
me on these Shark Bite pipe fittings.

Seeing that the crucial interface pieces appeared to be some kind of
PVC and an O-ring I was leery, wondering what the long term
dependability of it would be compared to time-tested compression
fittings or soldered joints. "Quick and easy" doesn't inspire trust.
Okay, it works for now, but how's it going to hold up 5, 10, 15 years
from now? You obviously don't want it degrading and springing a leak
inside a wall, perhaps undetected for an extended period while it
causes water damage.

Any experiences or opinions?

I came home from installing 5 of them for the first time ever the day this
thread started. Due to the fact they were in the middle of CPVC project
they were not ready for a pressure test until Saturday. I was too lazy to
work over the weekend. Today, Monday, 11-29, I pressurized the system no
leaks in any of my glue joints or the sharkbites.

I used them to connect to the short runs of iron pipe inside the walls to
the CPVC and to connect a frost free wall spigot so all of mine are IPS
threads on one side and sharkbites on the other. They are also in the crawl
space so minor leak will create minimal problems. No matter how bad they
may turn out to be over time, I am utterly convinced they are a better
choice then a cpvc/ips adaptor. Time will determine that.

I must admit that I have some minor concerns about the length of time they
will last, but after extensive reading both here and via Google links I am
not overly concerned. We have one failure mentioned in this thread. That
was installed on a slightly curved pipe. Most of the problems mentioned
other places involved PVC, poly, or another pipe. Sharkbites are not
certified for use on any of those, so if you use them there you might
expect a failure. They are certified for CPVC, copper and PEX only.

One last point. They are somewhat new in the US but I read somewhere that
the actual system has close to 15 years of service behind it before its US
introduction.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

DGDevin wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Of course the flip side is when you luck upon a person who actually
knows what he's talking about.

Good story. When I run into employees like that I try to find a
manager on the way out of the store and tell them how helpful and
knowledgeable [Carl, Leroy, Stella] was. It shouldn't be necessary
to do that, employees should be helpful and knowledgeable, but these
days you need to point out the good ones to make sure they're still
there next time.

Then the guy will get fired for saving a customer all that money.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

"The SB changed a three hour job into a fifteen minute one."

I turned off the water, cut a pipe, installed a Shark Bite cap and
turned the water back on - all before the TV commercial was over.

I see no contradiction, there.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Scratching the O-ring during installation is probably the biggest
concern - or scratching the pipe badly enough to compromise the O-ring
seal. Cash Acme wants to sell you their nifty little deburring tool.

The really, really neat thing about O-rings is that small scratches just
don't seem to make any difference. If there is an excessive gap under
higher pressures the o-ring might be extruded into the gap.

But, yeah, a cut (not a scratch) in the o-ring may well make it leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:28:41 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

DGDevin wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Of course the flip side is when you luck upon a person who actually
knows what he's talking about.

Good story. When I run into employees like that I try to find a
manager on the way out of the store and tell them how helpful and
knowledgeable [Carl, Leroy, Stella] was. It shouldn't be necessary
to do that, employees should be helpful and knowledgeable, but these
days you need to point out the good ones to make sure they're still
there next time.

Then the guy will get fired for saving a customer all that money.

I'm sure there's some with useful info, but most of these guys don't
know much about how things are actually done.
I just expect them to know the names of what they're selling and where
it's located in the store.
I was in the local HD a few months ago getting some stuff and found
all I was looking for' except one thing, a faucet handle puller.
Asked the first guy in "plumbing" if they had faucet handle pullers.
Had to describe what it looked like - a little gear or wheel puller.
Don't think he knew what those were.
He said let me call the plumber. Five minutes later I went through
the same routine with the "plumber."
He said he knew what they were and they didn't carry them.
Told me what stores to go to to find one. Far away stores.
Real good info - maybe. Never went to the far away stores.
About 40 feet away on my way to the registers I passed a display rack
and something caught my eye. A faucet handle puller.
I took it back to show the "plumber," but he was gone, so I told the
other guy where to find the faucet handle pullers in his store.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Vic Smith wrote in
:

wrote:

DGDevin wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

m...

[...]

I have a couple of friends that work in HD. One (who is a real corker)
was in Kitchens & Baths for a long time. They needed someone in plumbing
permanently and moved them there. Friends choice is do it or quit I
guess.

I was in there getting some plumbing stuff once and was BSing with the
friend. Customer comes and friend moves to them while I stand on the
sidelines. Customer asks some stuff. They yak. More customer Q's. Friend
finally says I don't know. I'm no plumber. Just Google it. I almost had a
personal plumbing leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:56:30 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

I have a couple of friends that work in HD. One (who is a real corker)
was in Kitchens & Baths for a long time. They needed someone in plumbing
permanently and moved them there. Friends choice is do it or quit I
guess.

I was in there getting some plumbing stuff once and was BSing with the
friend. Customer comes and friend moves to them while I stand on the
sidelines. Customer asks some stuff. They yak. More customer Q's. Friend
finally says I don't know. I'm no plumber. Just Google it. I almost had a
personal plumbing leak.

I like your pal.
My favorite local HD person is the old gal doing the "welcoming" at
the entrance.
She says "Hi."
I say "Hi, where can I find poly varnish?"
She say "That's in aisle 18," and points the way.
Maybe 6 times I've asked her where to find different things.
Every time she steers me right. Hardly hesitates.
Saves me a lot of walking.
I love her.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Vic Smith wrote in
:

[...]

That's harassment. I'm ofeeeeeended!
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote:

[...]

From Reader's Digest's "13 Things Your Salesclerk Won't Tell You"

1. The greeters who welcome you to our store aren’t really there to
greet you. If we look you in the eye as you’re coming and going,
you’re less likely to shoplift.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

I'm all aquiver to hear the other 12. I'm sure they are all spot on.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

"My favorite local HD person is the old gal doing the "welcoming"
at the entrance."

From Reader's Digest's "13 Things Your Salesclerk Won't Tell You"