Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Experiences with, opinions on "Shark Bite" pipe fittings?

wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:50:49 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
On 11/25/2010 7:50 AM, brassplyer wrote:
I needed to replace an outside spigot, was hoping for find one that
used a compression fitting, the guy at Home Depot was trying to sell
me on these Shark Bite pipe fittings.

I may be the only one who has had a shark bite fail. It was on a copper
line that had a slight curve in it and it was not quite round. Leaked
immediately. Not a lot, but enough.

Jeff

Most copper connectors would have failed on tubing with a slight curve
and
not quite round.

Steve

100% agreement from me. I have experienced problems with standard
compression fittings in that same case.

Colbyt

I've experienced failures of standard compression joints when the
tubing was round and straight.

In those cases, you "expect" it to work. In cases of miscut or bent tubing,
it's just a Hail Mary pass. I think actually that a lot of failures come
from the cutting process, and that is crushing or malformation of the tube
that comes from trying to cut it too fast.

Steve