Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Fridge filters?

Anybody know a good source? I hate to pay Whirlpool's direct-from-
the-manufacturer prices.

Or is this one of those situations where you really do have to buy
from the manufacturer because no third-party equivalent is available?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Install a regular filter before the refrigerator on the water line going to
the refrigerator. When buying this filter, look at the prices of the
replacement filters before buying. Then get the type with a lower cost
replacement filter.

Then install that and also get a new high priced replacement filter for your
refrigerator.

From then on, you will only need to replace the lower cost filter as this
will catch all the particles before the refrigerator filter. I did this with
my refrigerator and the refrigerator filter still looks brand new after 4
years!

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
Anybody know a good source? I hate to pay Whirlpool's direct-from-
the-manufacturer prices.

Or is this one of those situations where you really do have to buy
from the manufacturer because no third-party equivalent is available?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
Stan Brown wrote:
Anybody know a good source? I hate to pay Whirlpool's direct-from-
the-manufacturer prices.

Or is this one of those situations where you really do have to buy
from the manufacturer because no third-party equivalent is available?

Last time I needed one, I got it at Home Depot. Never got a price from
Whirlpool, so can't compare them.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Posted to misc.consumers.house
LDC LDC is offline

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 07:10:56 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
Anybody know a good source? I hate to pay Whirlpool's direct-from-
the-manufacturer prices.

Or is this one of those situations where you really do have to buy
from the manufacturer because no third-party equivalent is available?

Install a regular filter before the refrigerator on the water line going to
the refrigerator. When buying this filter, look at the prices of the
replacement filters before buying. Then get the type with a lower cost
replacement filter.

Then install that and also get a new high priced replacement filter for your
refrigerator.

From then on, you will only need to replace the lower cost filter as this
will catch all the particles before the refrigerator filter.

An excellent suggestion though it may invovle moving the fridge to
install or replace to the inline filter. Some fridge makers provide
a bypass or cap to use when an internal filter is not in place. If
not, it *might* be possible to cut a used filter to accomplish the
same thing depending on the design of the filter.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:14:26 +0000 (UTC) from Rich Greenberg
:

In article ,
Stan Brown wrote:
Anybody know a good source? I hate to pay Whirlpool's direct-from-
the-manufacturer prices.

Or is this one of those situations where you really do have to buy
from the manufacturer because no third-party equivalent is available?

Last time I needed one, I got it at Home Depot. Never got a price from
Whirlpool, so can't compare them.

I'll check -- thanks.

It gripes my cookies that the "helpful" red-yellow-green light is
time based and has nothing to do with the actual condition of the
filter. I'm a one-person household, so I know it's prompting me to
replace the filter too soon, but I have no idea by how much.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
Stan Brown wrote:

It gripes my cookies that the "helpful" red-yellow-green light is
time based and has nothing to do with the actual condition of the
filter. I'm a one-person household, so I know it's prompting me to
replace the filter too soon, but I have no idea by how much.

My fridge doesn't have such a light (that I know of). My system for the
filters is that if the flow slows enough that I notice it, I replace the
filter. The flow I am looking at is the ice water spigot in the door,
which I usually use a few times a week. If you are only looking at the
ice cubes, not sure how you would tell. If the icemaker fill is by
volume, you will hear it filling for a longer time. If the fill is
timer based, the cubes will be smaller.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Retired at the beach Asst Owner:Sibernet-L
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:00:57 +0000 (UTC) from Rich Greenberg
:
If the icemaker fill is by
volume, you will hear it filling for a longer time.

It's not. It's a 9-second fill, and if the tray doesn't fill in that
time the icemaker burns out. No, I'm not kidding -- that's what the
Whirlpool repairman told me when I called him, a few days before the
end of the warranty.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Posted to misc.consumers.house

It's not. It's a 9-second fill, and if the tray doesn't fill in that
time the icemaker burns out. No, I'm not kidding -- that's what the
Whirlpool repairman told me when I called him, a few days before the
end of the warranty.

That sounds like nonsense to me!

Ice makers are quite simple in design. All they have is an electric water
valve, the tray, a rotating device to push the ice out, a timer, and a
switch to tell if the ice compartment is full.

The water valve is turned on via a timer. Just on/off. It would not matter
if water was in the valve or not.

As to the rotating portion which pushes out the cubes, this is just powered
by an electric motor. It would actually have less work to do if there was no
water/ice in the trays.

I see no reason whatsoever how anything could possibly "burn out" if there
was little water or no water????

I do see a reason for a repairman to tell you this. Especially if your
warranty was about to expire and you did not have an extended warranty. And
that repairman made a commission on all extended warranties which he sold.
And the repairman needed the extra money due to problems with his personal
finances. THAT would be a reason for it to "burn out"!

Basically it used to be service departments were their own separate
department and all they did was fix things. All the greed and money making
was concentrated in the sales departments (all consumer products, not
appliances per se.)

Then the greedy sales manager types decided they could make more money by
infiltrating the ranks of the service people. So they started putting repair
people on commission (the more you charge, the more you get). Or holding
contests where the service person who racked up the most charges in a month
would get a prize or bonus. Etc.

So the service departments became a source of additional revenue. And this
would be with large corporation service departments. The small mom and pop
businesses don't do this because they give old fashioned service, want to
keep their customers happy, realize if they rob their customers, it might
look good for this "quarter" on the profit statement, but there will be no
customers left next year.

BTW when they first started pulling this crap, the repair people were quite
disgusted. But these days with the "me" generation, I suppose the younger
service people would be eating it up?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 08:31:19 -0700 from Bill
:
I do see a reason for a repairman to tell you this. Especially if your
warranty was about to expire and you did not have an extended warranty. And
that repairman made a commission on all extended warranties which he sold.

He didn't even mention extended warranty.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...