Posted to misc.consumers.house
krw[_5_] krw[_5_] is offline

Default Fridge filters?

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:00:57 +0000 (UTC), (Rich
Greenberg) wrote:

In article ,
Stan Brown wrote:

It gripes my cookies that the "helpful" red-yellow-green light is
time based and has nothing to do with the actual condition of the
filter. I'm a one-person household, so I know it's prompting me to
replace the filter too soon, but I have no idea by how much.

My fridge doesn't have such a light (that I know of). My system for the
filters is that if the flow slows enough that I notice it, I replace the
filter. The flow I am looking at is the ice water spigot in the door,
which I usually use a few times a week. If you are only looking at the
ice cubes, not sure how you would tell. If the icemaker fill is by
volume, you will hear it filling for a longer time. If the fill is
timer based, the cubes will be smaller.

I had the refrigerator in my last house for three years without
replacing the filter. The water was excellent, however. The ice in
this (after a year) one is starting to taste a little strange so I'll
likely replace the filter. I've never noticed the flow change though.
Isn't there a bypass?