Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Installing a Storm Door

My house does not have a storm door and I want to put one in. I bought a Larson Signature Door
series for about $225 with the hardware (which they sell seperately). I am fairly handy and want to
try to do this myself, but my friend, who is in a carpenter's union in NYC keeps telling me not to
even attempt it. What can go wrong? I keep hearing that if the door frame is not "PLUM" I will have
lots of problems. THen I read the instructions and they want a hacksaw and all of these
instructions, that I think my friend may be right.

Is this really that difficult to do? Do you guys have any tips for me (other than to hire someone).?

Tony
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Tony wrote:
Is this really that difficult to do? Do you guys have any tips for me (other
than to hire someone).?

If you have any skills, this is easy enough. I recently replaced mine, which
the box plainly said was a job for two people. Bull****. I did mine by myself
and had no trouble. Just remove the glass first to lighten the load, if your's
will allow that.

Your buddy in the carpenter's union? Why do you suppose he said what he did?

It just isn't that tough. Read the instructions. If they scare you, hire
somebody.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Hanging a real, heavy wood door in a non-plumb doorway is, as your
friend indicates, a challenge. I did one once and it took me hours to
get it right. In your case I'd say go for it though, it's just a
screen door and even if it does take 6 hours it's an interesting
learning experience. The pride of DIY and getting it right will offset
the time spent doing it.

Not sure why you need a hacksaw to hang a door. What's that about ?

Tony wrote:
My house does not have a storm door and I want to put one in. I bought a Larson Signature Door
series for about $225 with the hardware (which they sell seperately). I am fairly handy and want to
try to do this myself, but my friend, who is in a carpenter's union in NYC keeps telling me not to
even attempt it. What can go wrong? I keep hearing that if the door frame is not "PLUM" I will have
lots of problems. THen I read the instructions and they want a hacksaw and all of these
instructions, that I think my friend may be right.

Is this really that difficult to do? Do you guys have any tips for me (other than to hire someone).?

Tony

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Hacksaw is to cut the vertical frame members to exact height. This is
an easy job. Read directions and take your time.Not worth $$$$ to
install

John~

wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

Hanging a real, heavy wood door in a non-plumb doorway is, as your
friend indicates, a challenge. I did one once and it took me hours to
get it right. In your case I'd say go for it though, it's just a
screen door and even if it does take 6 hours it's an interesting
learning experience. The pride of DIY and getting it right will offset
the time spent doing it.

Not sure why you need a hacksaw to hang a door. What's that about ?

It's a storm door, not a prime door. Most have side jambs that are 82"
so they can sell them as "one-size-fits-all". Your opening might be 81"
or 80 1/2" or even 79 1/2"(ugh). Step one in installing a storm door
is to measure the height of the opening and cut the hinge side jamb to
fit.

I only have average DIY skills but I have installed lots of storm
doors. They all come with instructions; carefully open the package,
read the instructions, and decide if you can do it.

No guts, no gloryg

John

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Tony" wrote in message
My house does not have a storm door and I want to put one in. I bought a
Larson Signature Door
series for about $225 with the hardware (which they sell seperately). I am
fairly handy and want to
try to do this myself, but my friend, who is in a carpenter's union in NYC
keeps telling me not to
even attempt it. What can go wrong? I keep hearing that if the door frame
is not "PLUM" I will have
lots of problems. THen I read the instructions and they want a hacksaw and
all of these
instructions, that I think my friend may be right.

Is this really that difficult to do? Do you guys have any tips for me
(other than to hire someone).?

Tony

Hi Tony,
Just look at the instructions one step at a time and do not be overwhelmed.
If a step seems daunting, then walk away and have a Coke, then come back
with a fresh look at that one step again. These storm doors are not so bad
to install. Be not afraid of that hacksaw either, it is just to shorten the
vertical pieces and the cuts are at the bottoms so even if you are a little
ragged, no one will ever see it unless they are laying on the ground looking
for it.
Good luck with this and tell us how it worked out for you.
Tomes

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Tony" wrote...
My house does not have a storm door and I want to put one in. I bought a
Larson Signature Door
series for about $225 with the hardware (which they sell seperately). I am
fairly handy and want to
try to do this myself, but my friend, who is in a carpenter's union in NYC
keeps telling me not to
even attempt it. What can go wrong? I keep hearing that if the door frame
is not "PLUM" I will have
lots of problems. THen I read the instructions and they want a hacksaw and
all of these
instructions, that I think my friend may be right.

Is this really that difficult to do? Do you guys have any tips for me
(other than to hire someone).?

I've done a couple. It takes some time and careful work, but it is not all
that difficult. Follow the installation instructions. The frames are
usually designed to compensate for out-of-plumb or mis-sized house framing.

It helps a lot to have a helper for at least part of the installation
process.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Tony wrote:
Is this really that difficult to do? Do you guys have any tips for me (other
than to hire someone).?

If you have any skills, this is easy enough. I recently replaced mine, which
the box plainly said was a job for two people. Bull****. I did mine by myself
and had no trouble. Just remove the glass first to lighten the load, if your's
will allow that.

I did this job recently and agree, it's not that difficult.
One note on removing the glass - I finished the whole thing and put the
glass in and found that the latching mechanism was no longer lined up
correctly. I think the door wasn't quite square until the glass was
in. So do the latch last.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
z z is offline

Tony wrote:
My house does not have a storm door and I want to put one in. I bought a Larson Signature Door
series for about $225 with the hardware (which they sell seperately). I am fairly handy and want to
try to do this myself, but my friend, who is in a carpenter's union in NYC keeps telling me not to
even attempt it. What can go wrong? I keep hearing that if the door frame is not "PLUM" I will have
lots of problems. THen I read the instructions and they want a hacksaw and all of these
instructions, that I think my friend may be right.

Is this really that difficult to do? Do you guys have any tips for me (other than to hire someone).?

Tony

Last storm door I bought (from sears), I paid for installation, because
I couldn't carry it in the Civic and they wouldn't deliver without
installation. The guy managed to put the latch handle at the wrong
distance in from the edge of the door (it comes with a template,
fercrissakes!!) so he built up the latch on the jamb side by
sandwiching pieces of wood which he snapped off the molding. Snapped,
not cut. After a lot of back and forth with Sears, they gave me the
money for the installation back. So I'm where I would have been had I
installed it myself in the first place, had I been stinking drunk in
the middle of the night in a power failure.

custom storm door Boothbay Home Repair 3 January 15th 06 03:44 PM
Wayne Dalton Torquemaster and iDrive self-Install (Long) Scott Home Repair 3 March 2nd 05 03:34 AM
Notching Bottom Of Front Door Weather Stripping ??? Michael Roback Home Ownership 1 February 1st 05 05:27 PM
Front Door Threshold Stripping Question Michael Roback Home Repair 1 February 1st 05 01:15 AM
Replacing a window with a door? HerHusband Home Repair 19 January 29th 05 03:55 PM