Posted to misc.consumers.house
John Weiss John Weiss is offline

Default Installing a Storm Door

"Tony" wrote...
My house does not have a storm door and I want to put one in. I bought a
Larson Signature Door
series for about $225 with the hardware (which they sell seperately). I am
fairly handy and want to
try to do this myself, but my friend, who is in a carpenter's union in NYC
keeps telling me not to
even attempt it. What can go wrong? I keep hearing that if the door frame
is not "PLUM" I will have
lots of problems. THen I read the instructions and they want a hacksaw and
all of these
instructions, that I think my friend may be right.

Is this really that difficult to do? Do you guys have any tips for me
(other than to hire someone).?

I've done a couple. It takes some time and careful work, but it is not all
that difficult. Follow the installation instructions. The frames are
usually designed to compensate for out-of-plumb or mis-sized house framing.

It helps a lot to have a helper for at least part of the installation
process.