Posted to alt.home.repair
Boothbay

Default custom storm door

My home came with a custom made storm door. It needs replacement and
all i get is high prices for such a door. The door that is there now
measures 32 x 82 inches. Why can't I get a similiar size, so the
addition that was added to fit that door, could stay put and bring the
high cost of a custom door down? Home Depot and Lowes say that the door
has to come prehung, which of course they have to rip out the existing
jambs. Obviously that would make the cost even higher. Does anyone know
how and where I can get such a door made and added to the existing
opening? I'm getting quotes of $341 for the door itself and $159 or
more depending on the size of the opening. This is a simple screen,
storm door, not an entry door. I 'm even getting the same 'line' from
local stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Boothbay" wrote in message
oups.com...
My home came with a custom made storm door. It needs replacement and
all i get is high prices for such a door. The door that is there now
measures 32 x 82 inches. Why can't I get a similiar size, so the
addition that was added to fit that door, could stay put and bring the
high cost of a custom door down? Home Depot and Lowes say that the door
has to come prehung, which of course they have to rip out the existing
jambs. Obviously that would make the cost even higher. Does anyone know
how and where I can get such a door made and added to the existing
opening? I'm getting quotes of $341 for the door itself and $159 or
more depending on the size of the opening. This is a simple screen,
storm door, not an entry door. I 'm even getting the same 'line' from
local stores.

Been there and dealt with that a few times. The width is standard. It is
the height that is killing you.

Why don't you simply reduce the height of the opening by adding a strip of
wood across the top of the opening between the side trim on the outside of
the opening. For clarity a strip of wood 32" wide by 1 1/2" tall and the
thickness determined by whether the exterior trim is brick molding or 1x
stock.

Once caulked and painted to match the existing trim no one but you will ever
notice it.

Then you just buy and install a ready made 32" wide storm, or screen door.

Post back if I did not explain this well enough.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Boothbay

Hi, thanks for your input. i made an error in the measurement of the
door's width...its 32 and 1/2". Whoever installed this door did add a
2" metal up at the top and did a great job. i can't see how i can add
another 2" to it for a total of 4"...not that handy...sorry. How about
them adding a weather shim at the bottom? Some say it automatically
comes with a door. Is this true? Also, like I said, where am I going to
get a door that size without being prehunged? So far those that i
approached said that they all come prehunged.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Boothbay" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, thanks for your input. i made an error in the measurement of the
door's width...its 32 and 1/2". Whoever installed this door did add a
2" metal up at the top and did a great job. i can't see how i can add
another 2" to it for a total of 4"...not that handy...sorry. How about
them adding a weather shim at the bottom? Some say it automatically
comes with a door. Is this true? Also, like I said, where am I going to
get a door that size without being prehunged? So far those that i
approached said that they all come prehunged.

You can use a 32" door in a 32.5" opening. You just install a 1/4" filler
strip on each side. Our Lowes sells a 1" wide x 1/4" thick lattice strip in
the moldings section. The are the perfect filler if you have brick mold.
The have to be trimmed if your trim is 3/4" stock. About the max that could
be added would be 3/8" to each side.

About the height, I have added as much as 6" to the top of a door before.
Using a 1x6 board I simply drilled three 1/4" holes into the edge of the
board creating a pocket that I could drive 3" DW screws into the framing.

The weather stripping at the bottom of a storm door can usually be adjusted
from about 80.25" and 81.5" though I think it best not to exceed 81". I have
never bought a door without it.

In recent years I have never bought a pre-hung storm door. The sell them in
kit form now so that the hinges can be on the left or the right. This cut
the stores inventory in half. The door is assembled by the installer. Just
as note to you this includes drilling the door for the lockset.

If you can't do the work yourself your best bet is to find a local
handy-person who can do it for you. Locally here a normal storm door
install cost about a $100 for labor. Shimming out your opening could easily
add another $100 for labor and materials. A decent storm door is about
$120.

So your estimate of three something for a custom door installed wasn't that
far out of line.

Colbyt