Posted to misc.consumers.house
z z is offline

Default Installing a Storm Door

Tony wrote:
My house does not have a storm door and I want to put one in. I bought a Larson Signature Door
series for about $225 with the hardware (which they sell seperately). I am fairly handy and want to
try to do this myself, but my friend, who is in a carpenter's union in NYC keeps telling me not to
even attempt it. What can go wrong? I keep hearing that if the door frame is not "PLUM" I will have
lots of problems. THen I read the instructions and they want a hacksaw and all of these
instructions, that I think my friend may be right.

Is this really that difficult to do? Do you guys have any tips for me (other than to hire someone).?

Tony

Last storm door I bought (from sears), I paid for installation, because
I couldn't carry it in the Civic and they wouldn't deliver without
installation. The guy managed to put the latch handle at the wrong
distance in from the edge of the door (it comes with a template,
fercrissakes!!) so he built up the latch on the jamb side by
sandwiching pieces of wood which he snapped off the molding. Snapped,
not cut. After a lot of back and forth with Sears, they gave me the
money for the installation back. So I'm where I would have been had I
installed it myself in the first place, had I been stinking drunk in
the middle of the night in a power failure.