Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Cost of water filter & softner system

My wife and I just built a house in the Orlando, FL area. We have a
well (that we never had before) and the water has a rotten-egg smell.

We had an independant water guy come out and he said for a chlorinator,
tank, charchole filter, water softner, and under-sink reverse-osmosis
filter we'd need to pay $3,500. Does this seem right?

Thanks

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"tryz" wrote:

My wife and I just built a house in the Orlando, FL area. We have a
well (that we never had before) and the water has a rotten-egg smell.

We had an independant water guy come out and he said for a chlorinator,
tank, charchole filter, water softner, and under-sink reverse-osmosis
filter we'd need to pay $3,500. Does this seem right?

You need to know what the problem is before you solve it. It sounds like your
"water guy" suggested everything he sells.

Chlorinators are used when the water has high bacteria. They shouldn't be needed
for a new well that was installed properly.

The rotten egg odor is hydrogen sulfide and would be cleared up by a charcoal
filter. You could buy a whole house one of these for less than $100 at Home
Depot or Lowes.

When your well was installed, you should have received a well report that will
show both of the above and more. If not ask your builder or the county for a
copy.

Water softners take care of high mineral (calcium or magnesium) content.
Hardness test are free or very low cost and will tell you if you need a
softener. Installed should be less than $1000 for a decent mid grade unit. Don't
get sucked up into getting magic magnets, super kinetic boxes or anything other
than a standard resin tank softner.

Reverse osmosis systems at the kitchen sink take care of all of the above
problems for small quantities of water. Keep in mind that they remove *all*
minerals which is not a good thing as far as taste is concerned. Look at the
contents of AquaFina or any other bottled water...
Posted to misc.consumers.house

tryz wrote:
My wife and I just built a house in the Orlando, FL area. We have a
well (that we never had before) and the water has a rotten-egg smell.

We had an independant water guy come out and he said for a chlorinator,
tank, charchole filter, water softner, and under-sink reverse-osmosis
filter we'd need to pay $3,500. Does this seem right?

Thanks

That's quite high for a local dealer and way high compared to an
internet dealer.

There are a number of types of equipment to remove H2S, but most will
not disinfect the water if there is bacteria in the water. Bacteria
like IRB/SRB or MRB can cause your odor and can not be identified with
a Coliform bacteria test.

I don't like using a solution feeder and retention tank for H2S due to
the ongoing baby sitting they require but they do oxidize and
disinfect. I use an erosion pellet chlorinator and special mixing tank
that is much smaller than a normal retention tank. The chlorinator and
mixing tank has no moving parts. Then I use a special carbon in a
backwashed filter. That removes H2S iron, manganese and any odor or
taste in the water.

I see no reason for the RO. I suggest you wait until after you
experience the water after getting rid of the odor, hardness and any
iron and/or bacteria etc..

Disposable cartridge type "whole house" filters are not the right
choice for your problem. H2S is very common in well water, especially
in FL, so there is nothing wrong with your well.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Be sure and check out all your options. I don't have well water but
the water here in FL is very hard and has lots of calcium and other
minerals that causes water spots and shortens the life of appliances
that use water.

We have a water softener that we bought at Home Depot. I don't know
what the initial cost of installing one of these is because there was
already one here when we bought the house. We replaced it recently and
my husband was able to do that himself. The water softener cost a
little under one thousand. It won't solve the rotten egg smell problem
,caused I've been told, by sulfur. Our neighbors with wells for lawn
irrigation also get rust problems .... it's in the water, too, It
causes rusty looking spots on the concrete sidewalks.

We have been mostly buying drinking water since moving to FL. Softened
water is fine for showers and laundry.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Thanks Gary (and everyone else).

I've noticed your posts around and you always seem quite knowledgable.
I head to your site.

Do you think that installing a pellet chlorinator & water softner is
something a mere mortal can do? I'm fairly handy and wouldn't mind
saving a grand.

Thanks.

Gary Slusser wrote:
tryz wrote:
[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house

tryz wrote:
Thanks Gary (and everyone else).

I've noticed your posts around and you always seem quite knowledgable.
I head to your site.

Do you think that installing a pellet chlorinator & water softner is
something a mere mortal can do? I'm fairly handy and wouldn't mind
saving a grand.

Thanks.

Absolutely. About 90-95% of all my sales are to DIY customers that
install the equipment themselves. I've sold many of the pellet
chlorinator systems (13 this year alone) and so far, all were installed
by the homeowner. It's regular/normal water line plumbing with 5-10' of
total tubing. With both a softener and chlorinator system, you'll save
more than a grand....

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bob Bob is offline

In article .com,
says...

[...]

When I first moved to Florida, we lived in an apartment. We also had an
aquarium. Testing the water showed it to be extremely hard. It was also
very cloudy. I never could clear that up and switched to bottled water
for the aquarium. We continued to use a Brita water filter for our
drinking water as it was a lot cheaper than bottled water. A co-worker
lived less than a quarter mile away and had hard, but clear tap water
and he had no trouble with it in his aquarium. I couldn't figure why
things were so different between our two locations. As it turns out,
there was a canal between us and his subdivision was served by a
different water source than we were. When we bought a house several
miles to the south, we were on the opposite side of the canal from the
apartment and I was able to switch to tap water for the aquarium.

My point is simply that you and your neighbor can very easily have
different water problems.

Bob
Posted to misc.consumers.house

How do you choose a water filter? What does the filter actually reduce
or remove? And finally what does it cost? These answers are found by
doing a little research or home work will call it. Doing such will save
you a lot of money and provide you with pure "healthy" drinking
water. The bottom line is you must get a Data Performance Sheet by the
NSF national sanitation foundation to compare filters. These "proof
of performance" sheets show exactly what the filter does and for how
many gallons. If you can't get one from the manufacturer or from who
ever is trying to sell you one, simply say no thanks!

NSF International, The Public Health and Safety Company™, a
not-for-profit, non-governmental organization, is the world leader in
standards development, product certification, education, and
risk-management for public health and safety. For more than 59 years,
NSF has been committed to public health, safety, and protection of the
environment. While focusing on food, water, indoor air, and the
environment, NSF develops national standards, provides learning
opportunities through its Center for Public Health Education, and
provides third-party conformity assessment services while representing
the interests of all stakeholders. The primary stakeholder groups
include industry, the regulatory community, and the public at large.

Do your home work! Make a good choice for your drinking water needs.
Visit NSF below:
http://www.nsf.org/consumer/drinking...ogram=WaterTre

The Importance of Certification
In the last decade, interest in home water treatment products has grown
tremendously. Unfortunately, it isn't always easy for consumers to know
whether or not a particular product will actually be as safe and
effective as the manufacturer claims at reducing various contaminants
from your water supply.
NSF has a long history of developing and running independent product
testing programs. In fact, we are the leading independent tester of
home water treatment products on the market today. With our
state-of-the-art laboratories and highly skilled staff, we have the
knowledge and expertise to effectively evaluate water treatment
products, including:
Adsorption filters (i.e. carbon, charcoal, KDF, ceramic)
Reverse osmosis systems
Water softeners
Distillation systems
Ultraviolet disinfection products.
As an added assurance for consumers, NSF requires that all products
meet annual re-certification requirements. Unannounced plant
inspections and periodic retesting of all certified products are
required of all NSF-listed companies. This unique requirement allows us
to ensure that the products we certify continue to meet all stated
requirements year after year.

Note: NSF has tested & certified over 4000 different filters. It's
important to understand we have 400 plus manufacturers of water filters
alone world wide. Having said this "why" would you purchase a water
filter that is NOT tested & certified by NSF. It all comes down to
this: Talk is cheap and facts are hard to find in the drinking water
filtration industry! NSF is were you will get the facts.

Ultimately it comes down to this: What does the filter do & how much
does it cost?

NSF Data performance sheets is were to find "what it does".
Price: For a $1.00 a week you can have pure healthy drinking water. If
you are spending "more" it's costing you too much.

Sincerely,
Chris

Posted to misc.consumers.house

The Fact is NSF is for the consumer. Since 1944, NSF International, an
independent, not-for-profit organization, has been committed to making
the world a safer place for consumers. Explore the consumer website to
learn more about NSF, our programs and services, and the many ways we
help consumers Live safer® every day.
http://www.nsf.org/Certified/DWTU/

NSF walks a fine line as there are over 500 manufacturers of water
filters, that do not like each other! NSF has to tell the truth or they
would be sued for loss of business and misrepresentaion to the
consumers.

You mention the Government has some role in all of this. Well they do.
The EPA does not set protocol for driniking water systems. In fact
(they) refer consumers to the NSF.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote:
The Fact is NSF is for the consumer. Since 1944, NSF International, an
independent, not-for-profit organization, has been committed to making
the world a safer place for consumers. Explore the consumer website to
learn more about NSF, our programs and services, and the many ways we
help consumers Live safer® every day.
http://www.nsf.org/Certified/DWTU/

NSF walks a fine line as there are over 500 manufacturers of water
filters, that do not like each other! NSF has to tell the truth or they
would be sued for loss of business and misrepresentaion to the
consumers.

You mention the Government has some role in all of this. Well they do.
The EPA does not set protocol for driniking water systems. In fact
(they) refer consumers to the NSF.

This has little to nothing to do with living safer. In this instance
the NSF is selling a service, like any other company. It is aimed at
consumers but ultimately at getting more water filter companies to buy
the NSF certification process whether there is a need for it or not.

The fact is that most people don't know that 99% of all 'filters' are
not "certified" due to the high prices the NSF charges for
certification BUT, those non-certified filters use the same components
as the certified 'filter'. And usually work just as well, kinda like
generic drugs.

NSF certification is a bit like the BBB, or Consumer Reports. People
rely on their 'service' without knowing that the vast majority of
companies and products are never included.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Gary Slusser wrote:

The fact is that most people don't know that 99% of all 'filters' are
not "certified" due to the high prices the NSF charges for
certification BUT, those non-certified filters use the same components
as the certified 'filter'. And usually work just as well, kinda like
generic drugs.

NSF certification is a bit like the BBB, or Consumer Reports. People
rely on their 'service' without knowing that the vast majority of
companies and products are never included.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

"And usually work just as well, kinda like generic drugs".

Generic drugs undergo stringent certification and must adhere to rigid
parameters before being certified for sale to the public ... unlike
"plain wrapper" filters made by who knows who in who knows where that
may or may not do what the sellers would have you believe they do.

Seems like you still do get what you pay for and a dollar's worth for a
dollar is still the best deal around.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

subeluvr wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:

[...]

It seems like you may know something about generic drugs. It also seems
that your knowledge doesn't extend to knowing much about water
treatment equipment, the manufacturers of it or the quality of that
equipment; including the government regulations on both. It also seems
you've fallen prey to the anti business scare tactics of consumer
groups and their supporters, but I may be wrong so if possible, show
some proof of your position.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Gary Slusser wrote:
subeluvr wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:

[...]

The reality of testing a product, ANY product, to certify that it does
what it is portrayed, designed, and sold to do is not restricted to any
industry. It isn't limited to generic or patented drugs and applies
universally to ANYTHING. Sure, an untested product may do it's job as
well as the tested product but how do we know without testing?

Without testing and certfication the buying public is left to the spiel
of the salesperson.

How about you show some proof that generic plain wrapper water
treatment products that are not tested or certified in any way do
anything that they are portrayed to do by whomever is printing whatever
they like on a label in some third world country and shipping them to
the US to be sold by "water treatement experts" with no credentials and
no certifications themselves.

That a filter says "5 micron" on it only matters if someone has tested
it to do so and then certifies those testing results. That you say the
generic filter does so is your unsubstantiated opinion UNLESS you have
untaken testing these filters and can provide the results of those
tests by an independent testing facility or failing that ... NSF
cetification, but that gets us back to the meat of the thread.

While you may accept less than expected performance from generic
filters and generic drugs I prefer them to do as advertised ...
especially my generic drugs.

There isn't anything in the marketplace that someone won't sell you a
similar product cheaper and that's OK as long as it does the same job
as the more expensive tested and certified competing product OR you are
aware that it doesn't. That YOU say it does the same job without hard
data or testing to back your opinion up is well ... just the spiel of a
salesperson..

Posted to misc.consumers.house

subeluvr wrote:

[...]

Five micron.... I seriously doubt that any cartridge filter
manufacturer has any sediment cartridge filter certified by the NSF or
any other test center; there are 2-3 others.

So we aren't talking about sediment filters, we are talking about THMs,
arsenic, lead, copper, MTBE etc., IOWs, health related contaminates. So
I suggest that the best certification test is done at a local lab by
the owner/user/consumer for whatever the filter is supposed to
remove/reduce from their drinking water.

That's a novel idea and yet many independent thinking people do just
that. Doing so will cost them next to nothing and that certification
will be done in real time on their water and they will spend much less
money on the filter if they don't buy the much more expensive NSF or
other certified filter which is tested on spiked water in a pristine
lab setting but... you seem to skip over the government regulations all
filters and their manufacturers must meet. That is a certification done
by the NSF and it is called Standard 61 which applies to all products
that come in contact with "potable" water. It is not a serviceability
certification but it does prevent someone selling junk as you allude
to. And if you think about it, no one selling or manufacturing a health
related filter could survive the liability if the filter didn't do as
'advertised'.

So, how about you showing where any non-certified filter anywhere in
the US has been shown to not do as advertised. I pay specific attention
to these things and for may years have received daily email on any
mention of anything to do with drinking water issues and the water
treatment industry, and I've never heard of what you are afraid of ever
having happened. And I doubt that you have you either, so in effect, we
are talking about a test facility selling/marketing their services that
end up costing the consumer much more money than they would have to
spend while having a very limited number of certified products to
choose from.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Gary Slusser wrote:
subeluvr wrote:

[...]

So, it is up to the consumer to pay for testing to sustain that the
product does as it is advertised to do?

Not for this consumer. Consumers in the US have the right to expect
that the product, any product, does the job or meets the purpose for
which it is intended and offered for sale by a manufacturer or retailer
AND it is not the responsibility of the consumer to do or pay for
testing the product to see that it does.

Now you, selling uncertified and untested product, may get away with
telling that to your customers and they may believe you, but I will
continue to buy product(s) that are certified and tested by independent
organizations or government agencies where applicable rather than
blindly believe the self-serving statements of salespeople.

Thank you for your opinion.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

subeluvr wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:
subeluvr wrote:

[...]

Anyone relying on a water filter to remediate health related
contaminates in their water that then does not test the water
(periodically) to ensure proper removal or adequate reduction of those
contaminates, is a fool. So are those people that tell them that
testing is not needed due to the filter being "certified".

As to me being a self serving salesman... I've helped untold thousands
of people in these newsgroups for many years with my free no obligation
advice, which happens to be accurate, and logical.

IMO, you (while being an anonymous poster) sound like an anti
saleperson anti business, agenda driven supporter of testing facilities
that SELL water testing services and the government agencies that make
many people dumber, dependent and unable to think for themselves.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Instant Hot Water: Installing a Re-circulating System [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 3rd 06 09:53 AM
Hot Water Recirculator Comfort Valve Inefficiencies Cost More Then An Outlet Install [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 21st 06 12:13 AM
The #1 rated home water filter in America Aquasana AQ-4000 nitin Home Repair 0 December 13th 05 06:04 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Kitchen Aid Side-by-side - Water Dispenser/Filter Problem Paula Home Repair 6 October 28th 03 04:03 AM