Posted to misc.consumers.house
Gary Slusser Gary Slusser is offline

Default Cost of water filter & softner system

subeluvr wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:
subeluvr wrote:

The reality of testing a product, ANY product, to certify that it does
what it is portrayed, designed, and sold to do is not restricted to any
industry. It isn't limited to generic or patented drugs and applies
universally to ANYTHING. Sure, an untested product may do it's job as
well as the tested product but how do we know without testing?

Without testing and certfication the buying public is left to the spiel
of the salesperson.

How about you show some proof that generic plain wrapper water
treatment products that are not tested or certified in any way do
anything that they are portrayed to do by whomever is printing whatever
they like on a label in some third world country and shipping them to
the US to be sold by "water treatement experts" with no credentials and
no certifications themselves.

That a filter says "5 micron" on it only matters if someone has tested
it to do so and then certifies those testing results. That you say the
generic filter does so is your unsubstantiated opinion UNLESS you have
untaken testing these filters and can provide the results of those
tests by an independent testing facility or failing that ... NSF
cetification, but that gets us back to the meat of the thread.

While you may accept less than expected performance from generic
filters and generic drugs I prefer them to do as advertised ...
especially my generic drugs.

There isn't anything in the marketplace that someone won't sell you a
similar product cheaper and that's OK as long as it does the same job
as the more expensive tested and certified competing product OR you are
aware that it doesn't. That YOU say it does the same job without hard
data or testing to back your opinion up is well ... just the spiel of a
salesperson..

Five micron.... I seriously doubt that any cartridge filter
manufacturer has any sediment cartridge filter certified by the NSF or
any other test center; there are 2-3 others.

So we aren't talking about sediment filters, we are talking about THMs,
arsenic, lead, copper, MTBE etc., IOWs, health related contaminates. So
I suggest that the best certification test is done at a local lab by
the owner/user/consumer for whatever the filter is supposed to
remove/reduce from their drinking water.

That's a novel idea and yet many independent thinking people do just
that. Doing so will cost them next to nothing and that certification
will be done in real time on their water and they will spend much less
money on the filter if they don't buy the much more expensive NSF or
other certified filter which is tested on spiked water in a pristine
lab setting but... you seem to skip over the government regulations all
filters and their manufacturers must meet. That is a certification done
by the NSF and it is called Standard 61 which applies to all products
that come in contact with "potable" water. It is not a serviceability
certification but it does prevent someone selling junk as you allude
to. And if you think about it, no one selling or manufacturing a health
related filter could survive the liability if the filter didn't do as
'advertised'.

So, how about you showing where any non-certified filter anywhere in
the US has been shown to not do as advertised. I pay specific attention
to these things and for may years have received daily email on any
mention of anything to do with drinking water issues and the water
treatment industry, and I've never heard of what you are afraid of ever
having happened. And I doubt that you have you either, so in effect, we
are talking about a test facility selling/marketing their services that
end up costing the consumer much more money than they would have to
spend while having a very limited number of certified products to
choose from.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

So, it is up to the consumer to pay for testing to sustain that the
product does as it is advertised to do?

Not for this consumer. Consumers in the US have the right to expect
that the product, any product, does the job or meets the purpose for
which it is intended and offered for sale by a manufacturer or retailer
AND it is not the responsibility of the consumer to do or pay for
testing the product to see that it does.

Now you, selling uncertified and untested product, may get away with
telling that to your customers and they may believe you, but I will
continue to buy product(s) that are certified and tested by independent
organizations or government agencies where applicable rather than
blindly believe the self-serving statements of salespeople.

Thank you for your opinion.

Anyone relying on a water filter to remediate health related
contaminates in their water that then does not test the water
(periodically) to ensure proper removal or adequate reduction of those
contaminates, is a fool. So are those people that tell them that
testing is not needed due to the filter being "certified".

As to me being a self serving salesman... I've helped untold thousands
of people in these newsgroups for many years with my free no obligation
advice, which happens to be accurate, and logical.

IMO, you (while being an anonymous poster) sound like an anti
saleperson anti business, agenda driven supporter of testing facilities
that SELL water testing services and the government agencies that make
many people dumber, dependent and unable to think for themselves.

Gary
Quality Water Associates