Posted to misc.consumers.house
Gary Slusser Gary Slusser is offline

Default Cost of water filter & softner system

tryz wrote:
My wife and I just built a house in the Orlando, FL area. We have a
well (that we never had before) and the water has a rotten-egg smell.

We had an independant water guy come out and he said for a chlorinator,
tank, charchole filter, water softner, and under-sink reverse-osmosis
filter we'd need to pay $3,500. Does this seem right?

Thanks

That's quite high for a local dealer and way high compared to an
internet dealer.

There are a number of types of equipment to remove H2S, but most will
not disinfect the water if there is bacteria in the water. Bacteria
like IRB/SRB or MRB can cause your odor and can not be identified with
a Coliform bacteria test.

I don't like using a solution feeder and retention tank for H2S due to
the ongoing baby sitting they require but they do oxidize and
disinfect. I use an erosion pellet chlorinator and special mixing tank
that is much smaller than a normal retention tank. The chlorinator and
mixing tank has no moving parts. Then I use a special carbon in a
backwashed filter. That removes H2S iron, manganese and any odor or
taste in the water.

I see no reason for the RO. I suggest you wait until after you
experience the water after getting rid of the odor, hardness and any
iron and/or bacteria etc..

Disposable cartridge type "whole house" filters are not the right
choice for your problem. H2S is very common in well water, especially
in FL, so there is nothing wrong with your well.

Gary
Quality Water Associates