Posted to misc.consumers.house
Dottie Dottie is offline

Default Cost of water filter & softner system

Be sure and check out all your options. I don't have well water but
the water here in FL is very hard and has lots of calcium and other
minerals that causes water spots and shortens the life of appliances
that use water.

We have a water softener that we bought at Home Depot. I don't know
what the initial cost of installing one of these is because there was
already one here when we bought the house. We replaced it recently and
my husband was able to do that himself. The water softener cost a
little under one thousand. It won't solve the rotten egg smell problem
,caused I've been told, by sulfur. Our neighbors with wells for lawn
irrigation also get rust problems .... it's in the water, too, It
causes rusty looking spots on the concrete sidewalks.

We have been mostly buying drinking water since moving to FL. Softened
water is fine for showers and laundry.