Don Lancaster

Default What parts to salvage/sell from a UPS?

Ignoramus18142 wrote:
I have three UPSes:

1. Clary OnGuard 3 phase 5 kVa UPS, no batteries
2. Clary OnGuard 1 phase 5 kVa UPS, no batteries
3. Ferrups 3.0 kVa inline model UPS (no outlets), no batteries

All are working.

I would like to demolish these UPSes, take out what I can sell and
auction these parts on ebay. I recently demolished an even bigger Data
General UPS (about 8 kW) and sold the capacitors from it for $75. The
rest is a big pile of unidentifiable parts. Some look like huge diodes
and transistors. I am afraid that some of those parts have value that
I would have hard times capturing (maybe I took apart a large and
usable rectifier, for example), so, I do not want to make the same
mistake again.

I would like to know which parts of those UPSes are really desirable.

Capacitors?

Rectifiers?

Anything else?

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. I will use this as an
opportunity to learn about electronics.

Thanks!

I have not seen much demand for older and heavier UPS gear.

I charge another eBay seller $200 per month to haul it away.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
Rita Ä Berkowitz

"Ignoramus18142" wrote in message

I have three UPSes:

1. Clary OnGuard 3 phase 5 kVa UPS, no batteries
2. Clary OnGuard 1 phase 5 kVa UPS, no batteries
3. Ferrups 3.0 kVa inline model UPS (no outlets), no batteries

All are working.

That generally won't make any difference with these dogs. You probably have
late 80s early 90s vintage units. Plus, these are low-end units that have
no customer appeal.

I would like to demolish these UPSes, take out what I can sell and
auction these parts on ebay. I recently demolished an even bigger Data
General UPS (about 8 kW) and sold the capacitors from it for $75. The
rest is a big pile of unidentifiable parts. Some look like huge diodes
and transistors. I am afraid that some of those parts have value that
I would have hard times capturing (maybe I took apart a large and
usable rectifier, for example), so, I do not want to make the same
mistake again.

The capacitors are probably appealing to the ghetto-blaster-car-audio-crowd.
Other than a few relays and some MOVs there really isn't anything worth
popping the hood for.

I would like to know which parts of those UPSes are really desirable.

Capacitors?

Rectifiers?

Anything else?

Some have Anderson connectors that you can get about $1.50 each.

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. I will use this as an
opportunity to learn about electronics.

Strip them for the fun of it, but don't expect to find any gold nuggets in
them. Good luck and have fun.

Rita
--
http://212.68.147.44/Zehava-ben/

Rita Ä Berkowitz

"Ignoramus18142" wrote in message

Clarys are $10,000 high end units. Not that it matter, now that no one
wants them.

I had dozens of them new on the skid and couldn't give them away. Yes, they
were very expensive when new. This is due to the uneducated people in the
government's purchasing department.

Never handle any UPS unless it's an APC unit of 2200VA and above. And you
should never handle any three phase units made by anyone else but APC or
Liebert.

I will probably convert the cabinet from the Ferrups unit into a meat
smoker (smokehouse).

Now that is a great idea. I wish I had thought of that. You might want to
list one on eBay.

Maybe, but those were high voltage kind.

Some of the older units used either a 12 or 24 VDC configuration and had
these larger caps. The newer 48 VDC and above units don't have anything
worthwhile in them.

I need to take them apart to take them to a dumpster anyway...

I forgot to ad that you do have some heavy-duty transformers in these things
that you can use as a crude welder if you don't already own one. Save the
rectifiers for this purpose as well.

What a hassle, I made $320 profit on this lot (on other pieces), but I
hate every moment of owning it. Well, I got some useful parts out of
those UPSes, but still I would not do the deal if I knew what Iknow.

It's not even worth it with a forklift. Just be careful that you don't drop
a nut screwing with these things.

What about the rectifiers.

See above. There is probably little eBay value in them unless you do some
creative writing.

Thanks. If I get $50 out of each, and some parts good for myself, I
will be happy. Maybe I can get my retired FIL to do some disassembly
in exchange for "profit sharing".

I really like your smoker idea! Have fun and good luck.

Rita
--
http://212.68.147.44/Zehava-ben/

EF in FLA

I had dozens of them new on the skid and couldn't give them away. Yes,
they
were very expensive when new. This is due to the uneducated people in the
government's purchasing department.

Never handle any UPS unless it's an APC unit of 2200VA and above. And you
should never handle any three phase units made by anyone else but APC or
Liebert.

Wow look at Rita showing off her considerable knowledge of three phase UPS
units!

ef

anybody can google xxxxxxxx and be an expert parrot in no time.

fq

Rita Ä Berkowitz

"Ignoramus18142" wrote in message

I made about $2,500 to $2,800 on APC 1,400 VA units, 2 years
ago. Bought 2 skids with 28 of them, all with shot batteries, replaced
batteries with help of a friend, and sold the UPSes on ebay.

That's not bad. The 1400s fall well bellow our acceptable price per pound
ratio and we don't screw with them. In today's market the 1400s are
worthless. Even the Matrix 5000 is in the dirt. The Symmetras do extremely
well off eBay.

I discussed this on rec.crafts.metalworking, and concluded that i do
not want to make welders. I could sell the rectifiers, if you think
that they are worth something.

I would try writing a creative description and a title that has creative
uses for them and list them on eBay with a $50 starting bid. I find listing
an item's alternative use instead of name and model number work great for
items that don't sell.

Rita
--
http://212.68.147.44/Zehava-ben/

Angrie.Woman

"EF in FLA" wrote in message
I had dozens of them new on the skid and couldn't give them away. Yes,

they
were very expensive when new. This is due to the uneducated people in

the
government's purchasing department.

Never handle any UPS unless it's an APC unit of 2200VA and above. And

you
should never handle any three phase units made by anyone else but APC or
Liebert.

Wow look at Rita showing off her considerable knowledge of three phase UPS
units!

Like I said, sometimes I wonder just how feminine she actually is. She also
hates gay men with a passion I've only ever seen in men.

Rita Ä Berkowitz

"Angrie.Woman" wrote in message

Like I said, sometimes I wonder just how feminine she actually is. She

also
hates gay men with a passion I've only ever seen in men.

LOL! Maybe you're questioning your gender? Maybe I should be selling
Beanie Babies instead of what I sell to be feminine? And no, I don't "hate
gay men with a passion". I don't know what gave you that idea? You need to
get your head out of your ass and see what women are doing in the world
today.

Rita
--
http://212.68.147.44/Zehava-ben/

Jon Elson

Ignoramus18142 wrote:

[...]

There ought to be some big power transistors or SCRs. The SCRs, and
maybe even
the transistors, might look like "hockey pucks" between two large heatsinks,
with bolts and springs compressing them between the sinks. Big transistors
may also look like plastic blocks bolted to the heatsinks. You might just
list these on eBay as separate items. The only people interested in
these might
be people fooling with electric vehicles.

And, you NEVER know what an item on eBay will bring. Some stuff I just
couldn't quite bear to throw away, so I listed them on eBay, brought amazing
bids. I sold a 1938 or so Bijur 35 mm movie camera that had been
modified into
a flight data recording camera by McDonnel-Douglas, maybe in the 40's or
50's,
for $264! I STILL can't get over that one! You just NEVER can predict who
is willing to pay how much for something.

Jon

Lumpy

Jon Elson wrote:
There ought to be some big
power transistors or SCRs...

And, you NEVER know what an
item on eBay will bring...

I've got an old capacitor that leaked oil
and shrunk, kind of like those shrunken
apple dolls.

Now it looks like Tom Poston on acid.

Lumpy
--
In Your Ears for 40 Years
http://www.lumpymusic.com

jakdedert

Ignoramus18142 wrote:

snip
And, you NEVER know what an item on eBay will bring. Some stuff I
just couldn't quite bear to throw away, so I listed them on eBay,
brought amazing bids. I sold a 1938 or so Bijur 35 mm movie camera
that had been
modified into
a flight data recording camera by McDonnel-Douglas, maybe in the
40's or 50's,
for $264! I STILL can't get over that one! You just NEVER can
predict who is willing to pay how much for something.

I sold something called a 3M Secretary transparency maker for $270. It
seems that they are used in tattoo parlors. I couldn't even figure out what
it was supposed to do...make overhead transparencies, I guess.

jak

Jon

great!!!

BrotherBart

Now it looks like Tom Poston on acid.

God! What a mental image. Now I have to go get my brain dry-cleaned again.

James Sweet

[...]

Chances are the whole units are worth more than the sum of their parts. They
make good power inverters.

Don Lancaster

James Sweet wrote:

Chances are the whole units are worth more than the sum of their parts. They
make good power inverters.

Removing the batteries and calling them inverters might work quite well.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Don Lancaster wrote:

Removing the batteries and calling them inverters might work quite
well.

Only if the units he has are able to do a "cold start". Some older UPS
units don't have this option. I don't recall if his models will.

Rita
--
http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/

R. Totale

On 5 Feb 2005 20:45:34 GMT, Ignoramus30020
wrote:

I will take off power cords and other valuable stuff and take the rest
to the dumpster. Power cords are quite awesome, 8 gauge flexible range
plug with the cable that is like 6 foot long.

Cut the plugs off both ends and solder on terminal lugs, and market
them to hi-fi nuts as the latest miracle speaker cable for $100
apiece. Be sure to talk about how they provided an awesome soundstage
and removed all veiling, and you're selling them only because they're
too revealing of the other flaws in your rig.

Don Lancaster

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Don Lancaster wrote:

Removing the batteries and calling them inverters might work quite
well.

Only if the units he has are able to do a "cold start". Some older UPS
units don't have this option. I don't recall if his models will.

Rita

The key question is whether the unit is or can be reworked for twelve
volt input.

Sometimes simply renaming things works quite well.

Pen plotter motors would not sell at any price but laser lightshow
galvos flew on out of here.

To convert a pen plotter motor to a laser lightshow galvo, you remove
anything extra that is bent or broke.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
Don Lancaster

wrote:

I will take off power cords and other valuable stuff and take the rest
to the dumpster. Power cords are quite awesome, 8 gauge flexible range
plug with the cable that is like 6 foot long.

Cut the plugs off both ends and solder on terminal lugs, and market
them to hi-fi nuts as the latest miracle speaker cable for $100
apiece. Be sure to talk about how they provided an awesome soundstage
and removed all veiling, and you're selling them only because they're
too revealing of the other flaws in your rig.

By far the best speaker cable you can buy is four point barbed wire.

See http://www.tinaja.com/glib/marcia.pdf for a detailed analysis.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
BOB URZ

wrote:

I will take off power cords and other valuable stuff and take the rest
to the dumpster. Power cords are quite awesome, 8 gauge flexible range
plug with the cable that is like 6 foot long.

Cut the plugs off both ends and solder on terminal lugs, and market
them to hi-fi nuts as the latest miracle speaker cable for $100
apiece. Be sure to talk about how they provided an awesome soundstage
and removed all veiling, and you're selling them only because they're
too revealing of the other flaws in your rig.

Hahaha. You forgot that I should mention "improved believability of
sound". Seriously speaking, I should salvage plenty of 6 gauge wires
with terminals, and various electrical thingys. I will keep a lot of
that stuff.

You can ebay them: you just need to be creative.
Now keep in mind its winter....

Ebay:
For sale: UPS ( Universal Propulsion for Snow)

Put this UPS in the truck of your RWD car or truck and watch
your vehicle cut through those drifts! The UPS has a patented system
to shift the electronic weight over the rear wheels thus increasing traction!
You will be able to head out into weather you never thought possible
without the UPS! Get yours now before you get stuck!

Buy it now for $99.95!

Caution: no normal shipping. will ship on pallet by truck only for actual cost.

Bob

Ken Weitzel

wrote:

[...]

Delivery may be delayed due to weather conditions... particularly
if the roads are snow covered.

BrotherBart

Put this UPS in the truck of your RWD car or truck and watch
your vehicle cut through those drifts! The UPS has a patented system
to shift the electronic weight over the rear wheels thus increasing

traction!
You will be able to head out into weather you never thought possible
without the UPS! Get yours now before you get stuck!

When I was a teenager our neighbor put a tombstone that the engraver had
screwed up in the trunk of his full size Pontiac in winter for traction.

Asimov

"BrotherBart" bravely wrote to "All" (05 Feb 05 23:38:41)
--- on the heady topic of " What parts to salvage/sell from a UPS?"

Br From: "BrotherBart"
Br Xref: aeinews rec.crafts.metalworking:21102

Br alt.marketing.online.ebay:20090 sci.electronics.repair:9571
Put this UPS in the truck of your RWD car or truck and watch
your vehicle cut through those drifts! The UPS has a patented system
to shift the electronic weight over the rear wheels thus increasing

Br traction!
You will be able to head out into weather you never thought possible
without the UPS! Get yours now before you get stuck!

Br When I was a teenager our neighbor put a tombstone that the engraver
Br had screwed up in the trunk of his full size Pontiac in winter for
Br traction.

I recall the headstone carving people had a bit of a problem with Y2K.
Turned out they had a bunch of family stones installed with the dates
precarved 19xx-19 i.e. date of death last 2 digits blank but with the
prospective occupants still walking about upright. It is hard to erase
a mistake when carved out of massive granite!

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... First Church of Binary Science (The Digitarians)

LPV

BrotherBart wrote:

When I was a teenager our neighbor put a tombstone that the engraver had
screwed up in the trunk of his full size Pontiac in winter for traction.

Was it the dead of winter?

Loren

On 4 Feb 2005 20:26:48 GMT, Ignoramus18142
wrote:

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 15:18:43 -0500, Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
"Ignoramus18142" wrote in message

I made about $2,500 to $2,800 on APC 1,400 VA units, 2 years
ago. Bought 2 skids with 28 of them, all with shot batteries, replaced
batteries with help of a friend, and sold the UPSes on ebay.

That's not bad. The 1400s fall well bellow our acceptable price per pound
ratio and we don't screw with them. In today's market the 1400s are
worthless. Even the Matrix 5000 is in the dirt. The Symmetras do extremely
well off eBay.

Yes, it seems times are changing. Even 2-3 years ago, Ferrups UPSes
were selling relatively well.

Since good line in teractive and dual conversion true sine wave u its
have become reasonable, the Ferrups market has all but dried up - and
that's getting well over 10 years now.
I discussed this on rec.crafts.metalworking, and concluded that i do
not want to make welders. I could sell the rectifiers, if you think
that they are worth something.

I would try writing a creative description and a title that has creative
uses for them and list them on eBay with a $50 starting bid. I find listing
an item's alternative use instead of name and model number work great for
items that don't sell.

I will give it a shot. I have a monster transformer that weighs
300 pounds.

B.B.

In article ,
Ignoramus18142 wrote:

[...]

I would try writing a creative description and a title that has creative
uses for them and list them on eBay with a $50 starting bid. I find listing
an item's alternative use instead of name and model number work great for
items that don't sell.

I will give it a shot. I have a monster transformer that weighs
300 pounds.

Advertise it as "Catapult ballast." Or perhaps "Tokamak LEGO set."

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

Flog the heavy semiconductors, especially the SCR/FETpack/IGBT's (the
ones on the big heatsinks with more than 2 connexions each). Many of
these are becoming obsolete by the day and are really sought by shops
which do commercial gear.
Alex

NSM

"BrotherBart" wrote in message
Put this UPS in the truck of your RWD car or truck and watch
your vehicle cut through those drifts! The UPS has a patented system
to shift the electronic weight over the rear wheels thus increasing

traction!
You will be able to head out into weather you never thought possible
without the UPS! Get yours now before you get stuck!

When I was a teenager our neighbor put a tombstone that the engraver had
screwed up in the trunk of his full size Pontiac in winter for traction.

Add a hook to the door handle and you're all set!