Default Replacement Clock Lamp

I am in the process of repairing a 1970's clock radio:

Panasonic RC-7462

The radio plays perfectly, and I was able to repair the clock. All
that it needs now is to have the clock lamp replaced. This is a
strange lamp in that it is a tube which is 3 1/4" inches long and
5/16" in diameter, and is soldered direct to its wires (which are both
on one end of the tube). It appears to be a neon or fluorescent type of tube.
It is supplied with 230 volts AC to operate it. I have taken the following numbers
off of the tube (which I hope are correct, since these numbers are almost
microscopic, and I have MUCH trouble seeing them, but here goes...):

NL 60T8-B

Can some one please tell me:

A) What type of lamp this is? -and-

B) Where can I obtain a replacement?

All replies, with the exception of the smart-alecky "throw the POS away
and get a new radio" types, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

Bob Archambault

Frank Adam

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 13:25:22 GMT, wrote:

NL 60T8-B

Can some one please tell me:

A) What type of lamp this is? -and-

Something like this ?
http://tinyurl.com/4ydfg

B) Where can I obtain a replacement?

Any electronics warehouse should stock those. If the size is not the
same it won't be a big issue. Just place the light centered to where
the old one was.
Note the above requires an inline resistor to use at 240V and is an
orangish colour, but i'm sure the sales guys can help you there with
other types and the specs.
At that price you can even afford to blow a few.

--

Regards, Frank
NSM

wrote in message
| I am in the process of repairing a 1970's clock radio:

| NL 60T8-B
|
| Can some one please tell me:
|
| A) What type of lamp this is? -and-
|
| B) Where can I obtain a replacement?

Does it have a white coating like a fluorescent lamp?

Bob Archambault

Frank Adam wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 13:25:22 GMT, wrote:

NL 60T8-B

Can some one please tell me:

A) What type of lamp this is? -and-

Something like this ?
http://tinyurl.com/4ydfg

Actually, no. What you are showing me is just a basic neon
bulb. That wouldn't have nearly enough brightness to
adequately illuminate the display. My lamp is over
three inches long (3 1/4") and has an internal coating
somewhat similar to a fluorescent tube.

Thanks...

Bob

Bob Archambault

"NSM" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
| I am in the process of repairing a 1970's clock radio:

| NL 60T8-B
|
| Can some one please tell me:
|
| A) What type of lamp this is? -and-
|
| B) Where can I obtain a replacement?

Does it have a white coating like a fluorescent lamp?

Yes, it does.

Bob

NSM

"Bob Archambault" wrote in message
| "NSM" wrote:
|

| wrote in message
| .. .
| | I am in the process of repairing a 1970's clock radio:
|
| | NL 60T8-B
| |
| | Can some one please tell me:
| |
| | A) What type of lamp this is? -and-
| |
| | B) Where can I obtain a replacement?
|
| Does it have a white coating like a fluorescent lamp?
|
| Yes, it does.

There's a 60T8 ( 60T8/N/120V $3.99 60W T8 INTER 120V LAMP BULB )

http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/eca...0T8.N.120V.htm

which is a regular lamp. Unless the coating is a diffuser only, it must be a
fluo lamp (with UV output), but if it's 2 wire I can't see how it starts.

Eric Jorgensen

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:47:40 GMT
"NSM" wrote:

There's a 60T8 ( 60T8/N/120V $3.99 60W T8 INTER 120V LAMP BULB )

http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/eca...0T8.N.120V.htm

which is a regular lamp. Unless the coating is a diffuser only, it must
be a fluo lamp (with UV output), but if it's 2 wire I can't see how it
starts.

If his volt meter says it's powered by 230VAC it's got to be neon or
cold-cathode fluorescent or gas discharge or something because an
incandescent would just be powered off the 110v from mains power.

I've seen long skinny neon bulbs with wire leads like this, american
science& surplus used to sell them (said they were originally intended to
illuminate the keypads of telephones), but i haven't seen one recently.
John S.

Try these guys: http://www.topbulb.com/

You might find something on this page:
http://www.topbulb.com/find/prod_lis...10_A_REF_E_130

They have a wide range of bulbs and an 866 number. You probably won't
find an exact replacement, but as long as it fits that's all that's
needed.

I understand your attraction to fixing an old clock radio rather than
buying new. The old ones are unique.

Bob Archambault

"NSM" wrote:

"Bob Archambault" wrote in message
| "NSM" wrote:
|

| wrote in message
| .. .
| | I am in the process of repairing a 1970's clock radio:
|
| | NL 60T8-B
| |
| | Can some one please tell me:
| |
| | A) What type of lamp this is? -and-
| |
| | B) Where can I obtain a replacement?
|
| Does it have a white coating like a fluorescent lamp?
|
| Yes, it does.

There's a 60T8 ( 60T8/N/120V $3.99 60W T8 INTER 120V LAMP BULB )

http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/eca...0T8.N.120V.htm

Which is absolutely nothing like what I have, unfortunately.

which is a regular lamp. Unless the coating is a diffuser only, it must be a
fluo lamp (with UV output), but if it's 2 wire I can't see how it starts.

I think you may be right. See my next message in the thread...

Bob
Bob Archambault

Eric Jorgensen wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:47:40 GMT
"NSM" wrote:

There's a 60T8 ( 60T8/N/120V $3.99 60W T8 INTER 120V LAMP BULB )

http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/eca...0T8.N.120V.htm

which is a regular lamp. Unless the coating is a diffuser only, it must
be a fluo lamp (with UV output), but if it's 2 wire I can't see how it
starts.

If his volt meter says it's powered by 230VAC it's got to be neon or
cold-cathode fluorescent or gas discharge or something because an
incandescent would just be powered off the 110v from mains power.

I believe that both above statements are true, and that this is probably
a fluorescent lamp - UV output. I base this on two different things.

1) As you say, it is powered by 230 VAC.

2) I've found some references which say that there were some clock
radios that used a UV lamp to illuminate numbers that were painted
with a phosphorescent paint that would glow in UV light.

I've seen long skinny neon bulbs with wire leads like this, american
science& surplus used to sell them (said they were originally intended to
illuminate the keypads of telephones), but i haven't seen one recently.

I will look them up and give it a shot. Any other ideas?

Thanks...

Bob

Bob Archambault

"John S." wrote:

Try these guys: http://www.topbulb.com/

You might find something on this page:
http://www.topbulb.com/find/prod_lis...10_A_REF_E_130

They have a wide range of bulbs and an 866 number. You probably won't
find an exact replacement, but as long as it fits that's all that's
needed.

Unfortunately, there is nothing suitable there.

I understand your attraction to fixing an old clock radio rather than
buying new. The old ones are unique.

Thanks! I found this one in an antique store that I frequent and found
it very appealing to me. When I plugged it in and found that the radio
worked fine and that the clock that needed attention, I figured,
"Why not?"

Also, anybody else, feel free to jump in - PARTICULARLY if you have
first-hand knowledge or experience with this unit (or similar unit).

Thanks again...

Bob

Eric Jorgensen

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:28:44 GMT
(Bob Archambault) wrote:

2) I've found some references which say that there were some clock
radios that used a UV lamp to illuminate numbers that were painted
with a phosphorescent paint that would glow in UV light.

If it's UV you need, you might just put a row of UV LEDs off to the
sides, if you've got a low voltage DC supply somewhere you can tap. It
should be relatively easy to determine if the dial is UV fluorescent.

I've seen long skinny neon bulbs with wire leads like this, american
science& surplus used to sell them (said they were originally intended
to illuminate the keypads of telephones), but i haven't seen one
recently.

I will look them up and give it a shot. Any other ideas?

If you're sure it's UV, I believe sciplus.com (AS&S) has a battery
powered "money tester" for a few dollars which includes about a 2.5" long
UV fluorescent tube, but i believe the tube might have a slightly larger
diameter than your original.

FWIW, all the fluorescent UV tubes I've seen were dark purple in color
when switched off, almost black. Would be a dead giveaway. The neon bulbs i
referred to above were clear, and produced green light.

Unfortunately for you the market has really gone to electroluminescent
and now organic electroluminescent strips, which though they have similar
power supply requirements to the neon bulbs, draw so few amps that they
actually consume less power than LEDs to illuminate the same area. They
even come in a variety of colors, including some really warm reds and
some really crisp whites - not just the old blue and green.

Add to that the fact that modern EL and OEL materials are flexible and
can be literally printed onto surfaces, and there's no reason for a long
skinny low-watt neon lamp to exist anymore.

Other electronic dealers that might have this old stuff around include
www.mpja.com, www.allelectronics.com.
NSM

"Eric Jorgensen" wrote in message

| If you're sure it's UV, I believe sciplus.com (AS&S) has a battery
| powered "money tester" for a few dollars which includes about a 2.5" long
| UV fluorescent tube, but i believe the tube might have a slightly larger
| diameter than your original.

See

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...h&item=BF-3100

and similar items.

Eric Jorgensen

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 00:17:27 GMT
"NSM" wrote:

"Eric Jorgensen" wrote in message

| If you're sure it's UV, I believe sciplus.com (AS&S) has a battery
| powered "money tester" for a few dollars which includes about a 2.5"
long| UV fluorescent tube, but i believe the tube might have a slightly
larger| diameter than your original.

See

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...h&item=BF-3100

and similar items.

Right, that's a white light, cold cathode fluorescent, as used for
backlighting. the'black' lights I've seen are just that, black.
James Sweet

Frank Adam wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 13:25:22 GMT, wrote:

NL 60T8-B

Can some one please tell me:

A) What type of lamp this is? -and-

Something like this ?
http://tinyurl.com/4ydfg

Actually, no. What you are showing me is just a basic neon
bulb. That wouldn't have nearly enough brightness to
adequately illuminate the display. My lamp is over
three inches long (3 1/4") and has an internal coating
somewhat similar to a fluorescent tube.

Thanks...

Bob

Can you post a picture? What color was the light?

James Sweet

(Bob Archambault) wrote:

[...]

Either way he could replace it with a cold cathode fluorescent tube. There's
probably room in there for an inverter to drive it, they're available in
white, UV, and most colors in between.

James Sweet

Right, that's a white light, cold cathode fluorescent, as used for
backlighting. the'black' lights I've seen are just that, black.

They're made of Woods glass and have a phosphor that emits a broad spectrum
with peaks in the UV. CCFL tubes are available in filtered blacklight, JKL
makes them. They sell them at Fry's amoung other places.

Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:25:47 GMT, (Bob
Archambault) put finger to keyboard and composed:

Frank Adam wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 13:25:22 GMT,
wrote:

NL 60T8-B

Can some one please tell me:

A) What type of lamp this is? -and-

Something like this ?
http://tinyurl.com/4ydfg

Actually, no. What you are showing me is just a basic neon
bulb. That wouldn't have nearly enough brightness to
adequately illuminate the display. My lamp is over
three inches long (3 1/4") and has an internal coating
somewhat similar to a fluorescent tube.

Could it be a white neon lamp?
http://members.misty.com/don/oddbulb.html#ne2g

"These resemble neon lamps, but have a white phosphor coated onto the
inside surface of the bulb. This phosphor glows green, blue, white or
some kind of 'warm white'."

Here is my WAG at the meaning of the part number:

NL = neon lamp
60 = 60VAC striking voltage
T8 = 8mm dia = 5/16"

Can you see a resistor in series with the lamp supply? Is the 230VAC
generated by an inverter? Can you measure the frequency of the supply?

- Franc Zabkar
Bob Archambault

Frank Adam wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 13:25:22 GMT, wrote:

NL 60T8-B

Can some one please tell me:

A) What type of lamp this is? -and-

Something like this ?
http://tinyurl.com/4ydfg

Actually, no. What you are showing me is just a basic neon
bulb. That wouldn't have nearly enough brightness to
adequately illuminate the display. My lamp is over
three inches long (3 1/4") and has an internal coating
somewhat similar to a fluorescent tube.

Thanks...

Bob

Unfortunately, I'm going to bat 1.000 he

Can you post a picture?

Nope, I don't have any way to do that.

What color was the light?

I don't know, since the lamp was already burned out when
I bought this unit.

Bob

Bob Archambault

Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:25:47 GMT, (Bob
Archambault) put finger to keyboard and composed:

Frank Adam wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 13:25:22 GMT,
wrote:

NL 60T8-B

Can some one please tell me:

A) What type of lamp this is? -and-

Something like this ?
http://tinyurl.com/4ydfg

Actually, no. What you are showing me is just a basic neon
bulb. That wouldn't have nearly enough brightness to
adequately illuminate the display. My lamp is over
three inches long (3 1/4") and has an internal coating
somewhat similar to a fluorescent tube.

Could it be a white neon lamp?
http://members.misty.com/don/oddbulb.html#ne2g

"These resemble neon lamps, but have a white phosphor coated onto the
inside surface of the bulb. This phosphor glows green, blue, white or
some kind of 'warm white'."

Y'know...I found that website last night as I was searching for more
answers, and I believe that my bulb is probably this type. I also found
a picture of it at:

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/glow2.htm

With the exception of the fact that my bulb is several times longer, these
colored neon lamps look exactly like mine.

Here is my WAG at the meaning of the part number:

NL = neon lamp
60 = 60VAC striking voltage
T8 = 8mm dia = 5/16"

Probably so, particularly the "T8", as my bulb measures exactly
8mm in diameter.

Can you see a resistor in series with the lamp supply? Is the 230VAC
generated by an inverter? Can you measure the frequency of the supply?

The 230V is derived from the main power transformer. It supplies 230V for
the lamp and 120V for the clock motor. Now, these three wires (230V CT) go
to a small circuit board containing 1 resistor and 2 very small coils (air core).
Power goes from this to both the lamp and clock motor. Since the traces are
underneath the board, and I did not remove it (because lamp had voltage
applied), I don't know if said resistor is in series with the lamp. It is closed up
and running now, so I can't look at it at the moment.

Since I do believe in trying the most convienient methods first, I think that I
will try using the green neon bulb from Radio Shack (272-708) as listed
on Don's web site. It might work just fine.

Thanks...

Bob

Art

Panasonic used the "Green-Neon" lamps in many of their products, seems that
they were made to specifications for that application. I've not seen them
used in any other manufacturer's product excepting the "National Brand"
which also was made by Panasonic's parent company.
"John S." wrote:

[...]

Bob Archambault

[...]

OK, folks...

I just want to end this thread and let everyone know how I made out.
I used the green neon bulb from Radio Shack (# 272-708) and cut the
plastic housing away from the bulb with my Dremel tool. While it is
certainly not original, it works just fine and looks pretty good as well.

As far as the original bulb - the NL 60T8-B, I did some experimentation
and determined that it is absolutely a colored neon bulb that gives off
a light purplish-blue color. I found this out by using a microwave to exite
the phosphor coating, thereby letting it show its true colors g. My feelings
about the bulb number are pretty much:

NL = Neon Lamp
T8 = Tubular, 8mm diameter
B = Blue

Now as far as the "60" goes, I'm not really sure. Franc suggested the
possibility of it being the striking voltage. I tend to think not, as it would
seem that you wouldn't need 230 V to run a tube that only needs 60 V to
start. I don't think it's a wattage rating, as this certainly seems more powerful
than 60 mW, but is less than 6.0 W. I did notice that the phosphor coating
(which corresponds exactly to the lighted area) is precisely 60mm long,
so that's a possibility. But, again, I really don't know.

In any case, I want to thank all of you who contributed thoughts and
suggestions. I learned a little, and most importantly, repaired the
item satisfactorily.

A final thought - I am still not averse to restoring this to its original
condition, so if someone, at some later time, ambles across this
thread and has first-hand knowledge of where I might actually find
a good NL60T8-B, please e-mail me at:

Thanks very much...

Bob Archambault

James Sweet

As far as the original bulb - the NL 60T8-B, I did some experimentation
and determined that it is absolutely a colored neon bulb that gives off
a light purplish-blue color. I found this out by using a microwave to

exite
the phosphor coating, thereby letting it show its true colors g. My

feelings
about the bulb number are pretty much:

NL = Neon Lamp
T8 = Tubular, 8mm diameter
B = Blue

Now as far as the "60" goes, I'm not really sure.

As you suggest later, this is almost certainly the length, nothing else
would really make sense, particularly since the phosphor area is 60mm long.

A final thought - I am still not averse to restoring this to its original
condition, so if someone, at some later time, ambles across this
thread and has first-hand knowledge of where I might actually find
a good NL60T8-B, please e-mail me at:

As a collector of unusual lightbulbs I'd be very interested in seeing one of
these lamps if you ever find a way to get a picture of it. It would also be
interesting to take an X-ray of it to see what the internal construction is
like. Blue "neon" bulbs are available and may work better than the green
ones from radio shack, another option would be SMD LED's in a small piece of
translucent tubing using a capacitor as a ballast.

Franc Zabkar

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 01:34:38 GMT, (Bob
Archambault) put finger to keyboard and composed:

I just want to end this thread and let everyone know how I made out.
I used the green neon bulb from Radio Shack (# 272-708) and cut the
plastic housing away from the bulb with my Dremel tool. While it is
certainly not original, it works just fine and looks pretty good as well.

As far as the original bulb - the NL 60T8-B, I did some experimentation
and determined that it is absolutely a colored neon bulb that gives off
a light purplish-blue color. I found this out by using a microwave to exite
the phosphor coating, thereby letting it show its true colors g.

Very clever!

My feelings
about the bulb number are pretty much:

NL = Neon Lamp
T8 = Tubular, 8mm diameter
B = Blue

Now as far as the "60" goes, I'm not really sure. Franc suggested the
possibility of it being the striking voltage. I tend to think not, as it would
seem that you wouldn't need 230 V to run a tube that only needs 60 V to
start. I don't think it's a wattage rating, as this certainly seems more powerful
than 60 mW, but is less than 6.0 W. I did notice that the phosphor coating
(which corresponds exactly to the lighted area) is precisely 60mm long,
so that's a possibility. But, again, I really don't know.

Look at this "blue crystal neon lamp" as used for PC case modding:
http://www.gmb-online.nl/main.asp?mode=item&N=2934

It operates from 12VDC via an inverter. In my previous post I was
thinking that your "special" lamp may have failed as a result of a
faulty inverter, or that the inverter's unloaded voltage may have been
a lot higher than its normal operating voltage.

- Franc Zabkar
James Sweet

[...]

That's a cold-cathode fluorescent tube, it's exactly what I was suggesting a
while ago.

Franc Zabkar

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 07:11:46 GMT, "James Sweet"
[...]

Hmmm, then look at these:
http://www.gmb-online.nl/main.asp?mode=subgroup&N=182

- Franc Zabkar
James Sweet

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
[...]

They're pretty neat, you can get them locally at Fry's amoung other places.

Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 04:29:35 GMT, "James Sweet"
[...]

Actually, I wanted you to compare the CCFTs at the top of the page
with the "crystal neon lamps" at the bottom.

This site has CCFL tubes (eg cat # Z8040) which it describes as being
"80% brighter than standard sized automotive neons":
http://dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront

Look at these 12V neon wall clocks:
http://www.bbqguys.com/neon-sports-clocks.asp
http://www.bbqguys.com/neon-logo-clocks.asp