Ian.2

Default AA battery clock conundrum

To be honest, I'm not really expecting this to get working again, but mostly
it's just baffling me. So if anyone can offer any light onto what might be
going on here... I'm posting from the UK, in case any of the wording seems
a bit odd to you

Some years ago I bought a radio-controlled analogue clock module from
Maplin, and used it to replace the standard clock module in a cheap and
cheerful wooden wall clock I'd bought from Argos. The clock synchronises
itself with the Rugby radio time signal, so always keeps exact time - even
adjusting between BST/GMT. It's fun to listen to the radio time pips and
see the second hand of my clock in perfect syhnchronisation with them.
Well, there's so much tat on telly these days, what else would I look at?

I noticed the other day that the clock was about 10 seconds behind the hour
countdown on BBC News 24, but assumed that, being digital, there was a delay
with the TV signal. Then today I realised that my clock was in fact slow,
as it was behind the pips I could hear from the radio in the kitchen. Time
for battery replacement, I assumed.

Indeed it was, as the alkaline AA battery in there barely gave a flicker on
my meter. I put in a new Ever Ready one. Nothing. Every Ready battery is
fine on meter. Try an almost-new Rayovac. Nothing. Put original "dead"
battery in the clock. Clock starts ticking.

Despite fidgeting the batteries in the battery case, cleaning contacts with
emery paper, and trying several other brands in case it was some bizarre
physical contact thing, the only battery that will make my clock tick is the
practically dead Sanyo one I took out of it. None of the new or semi-used
batteries will make it work!

Any suggestions before I throw the clock module away and seek a new one?

Ian

Sam Goldwasser

"Ian.2" writes:

[...]

Get a truly new Alkaline battery and try it. I don't know what sort of
meter you are using but unless the battery is tested under load, a
voltage reading may not mean much.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Bob Parker

G'day Ian,
Are you quite sure that it's not what you first suspected- some
kind of physical contact thing?
A long time ago and I can't remember where, I encountered some item
of equipment which needed the AA cells to have unusually protruding
positive terminals. Most cells wouldn't make contact because their
"shoulders" were bumping into the plastic around the equipment's
positive contacts. It's gotta be something like this causing your
problem.... I think!

Cheers,
Bob

"Ian.2" wrote:

[...]

Sofie

Ian 2:
Any radio clock that I have seen needs more voltage than a single AA (1.5
Volt) battery can deliver...... are you certain that it is indeed a single
cell 1.5 Volt AA battery and not a similar size 6 volt or 12 volt battery
similar to those found in cameras and smoke detectors??? Make certain that
you observe the correct polarity.... it can be confusing at times.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Ian.2" wrote in message
[...]

Jerry Greenberg

Check for the voltage of your battery. Some are not 1.5 Volts, but can
be 3.6 , or 4.5 , or 6.3 , or 9.0 , or 12 Volts, in the same size
format.

You are most likely not using the correct battery.

Jerry Greenberg
http://www.zoom-one.com

--

"Ian.2" wrote in message ...
[...]

jakdedert

I'm inclined to agree more with Bob on this one. I've seen devices which
won't work with certain AA/AAA batteries because the + terminal is too
deeply recessed, as well. If there was a second battery needed, the clock
wouldn't work (however badly) with the original reinstalled.

I'd look *ver* closely at the positive terminal of the unit with a different
battery installed; and closely compare the + terminal of the original
battery with the replacement(s). If all else fails, it's time to get ou the
voltmeter. It may be necessary to partially disassemble the clock to
determine if--in fact--voltage is actually getting to the works. If not, it
should be possible to modify either the terminal, or the recess into which
it's placed, in order to enable contact. One might be able to find a
battery which has a slightly taller + terminal as well.

jak

"Ian.2" wrote in message
[...]

James Sweet

"Sofie" wrote in message
Ian 2:
Any radio clock that I have seen needs more voltage than a single AA (1.5
Volt) battery can deliver...... are you certain that it is indeed a

single
cell 1.5 Volt AA battery and not a similar size 6 volt or 12 volt battery
similar to those found in cameras and smoke detectors??? Make certain

that
you observe the correct polarity.... it can be confusing at times.
--

I have an analog radio clock that works just fine off a single AA battery, I
installed a Quartex movement in it, so they do exist.

Ian.2

Thanks for all your replies!

The clock module has always had a 1.5v battery in it - the one I took out
says "AA/LR6/1.5V" and I've replaced it with the same type (always
Alkaline). The first battery I tried was brand-new out of it's packaging,
so was another battery I tried, before resorting to other part-used
batteries in frustration. Only the original nearly-dead battery got any
ticks out of the second hand of the clock.

The meter I use is a Philips thing designed purely for battery and lamp
testing, and it's been a reliable indicator of battery condition in the
past. My new batteries give a strong meter reading, the part-used ones less
so, the dead one from the clock gives barely a flicker on the meter.

I'm wondering if it's a physical contact thing, although it *looks* ok. I
will try a test meter across the PCB end of the contacts later just to
confirm that there is proper contact with the battery.

I'll let yu know the result!

Ian

Sofie

James Sweet:

By "analog radio clock"...... do you mean one that receives WWV or other
time signals as the original post described? I have a wall model that
takes Qty 4, AAA batteries and I have a portable/travel model that takes
a 9 volt battery.

snipped original post by "Ian.2":

"James Sweet" wrote in message

I have an analog radio clock that works just fine off a single AA battery,

installed a Quartex movement in it, so they do exist.

Sofie

Ian.2:
If it is indeed a 1.5 volt battery then somehow proper contact is not being
made...... try another brand of battery..... sometimes, as others have
stated, the positive and negative contacts on the battery can be too wide,
too narrow, too shallow, etc..... as compared to other batteries.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Ian.2" wrote in message
[...]

Andre

"Ian.2" wrote in message
[...]

Puzzling. I'd have put a very small solder blob on the positive pip on
the battery, just in case.

-A

Any suggestions before I throw the clock module away and seek a new one?

Ian

jakdedert

"Andre" wrote in message
om...
snip

Puzzling. I'd have put a very small solder blob on the positive pip on
the battery, just in case.

Better to wedge in a small piece of metal bent in two. Soldering batteries
is a good way to destroy them.

jak

-A

Any suggestions before I throw the clock module away and seek a new

one?

Ian

James Sweet

"Ian.2" wrote in message
[...]

Could be a cracked solder joint on the PCB, so the new battery may not be
stressing it quite the same way and not making contact.

James Sweet

"Sofie" wrote in message
James Sweet:

By "analog radio clock"...... do you mean one that receives WWV or other
time signals as the original post described? I have a wall model that
takes Qty 4, AAA batteries and I have a portable/travel model that

takes
a 9 volt battery.

Yes, it's an analog wall clock movement that recieves the WWVB time signal
and synchronizes, it runs off a single 1.5v AA battery. They're used in the
Atomix brand wall clocks as well.

Ian.2

Well, having now got around to putting a meter across the battery contacts
(at the PCB end of things) while a battery was fitted, I find that no volts
were getting through. Which, as far as it goes, is a nice easy solution and
a slap on the wrist for me for not doing this earlier.

Jamming a bit of foil between the +battery contact and the battery itself
makes the clock tick with any battery.

But I'm still puzzled, because

-All the batteries I've tried are a nice snug fit, so contact should be good
anyway
-I've cleaned and recleaned the contacts with emery paper even though there
was no visible sign of corrosion.
-The design of the battery contact, while not perfect, ought to be making
good electrical contact with any of the batteries I've tried. It's
certainly pressing against the battery
-The original battery always worked when put back in, even though it's
contact profile is near-on identical to the other brands of battery I tried
in the clock

Bizarre, but I suppose that's the way with battery contacts.

Still, at least it shows the module is working. I'll probably blob some
solder on the battery contact if I can't work out any other way of improving
it's (already seemingly good) physical contact with the battery.

Thanks for all your suggestions though!

Ian