Steve

Default Looking for replacement clock LCD

I'm trying to find a replacement LCD for a Toro Vision 2 irrigation
controller. I tried to purchase one through Toro, but they won't sell it
to me.

It appears to be a fairly generic clock display. It has 4 full digits w/
colon in the middle, AM and PM to the right of the digits, and along the
bottom are the days. It has legs attached to it, 12 along the top and 12
along the bottom at 0.1 inch separation. It appears that the first, 6th,
7th, and 12th pins in each row serve no electrical function, as they're
cut shorter than the others and do not contact the PCB. The only writing
on this LCD is the number 2391 on the back.

Here's an attempt to draw the display (it looks reasonably correct if
all the characters are the same width):

o o o o o o o o o o o o
-------------------------------
| |
| #### #### #### #### |
| # # # # # # # # # AM |
| #### #### #### #### |
| # # # # # # # # # PM |
| #### #### #### #### |
| |
| SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT |
-------------------------------
o o o o o o o o o o o o

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

James Sweet

"Steve" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

It's probably a custom made part, but you could probably adapt a generic
surplus LCD panel to work. What's wrong with the existing one, is it
physically cracked?

BOB URZ

Steve wrote:

[...]

Check out Jamco and Digikey.

Bob

Steve

James Sweet wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

The one I have has some segments that quit working. Makes it difficult
to tell a 7 from a 1, etc. I swapped the display from a good unit to
verify that it was the display that was at fault as opposed to the
driving circtuitry. I also suspect that it might be a proprietary part,
but I'm hoping to find that I'm wrong!

James Sweet

"Steve" wrote in message
ink.net...

James Sweet wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

Any chance it uses the little conductive rubber strips to connect the
display panel itself to the board? Those occasionally get contaminated or
misaligned and cause dead segments. It's pretty rare for the display panel
itself to fail unless the driver put out DC and caused electrolosis damage,
could happen though.

Steve

James Sweet wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
link.net...

James Sweet wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
thlink.net...

[...]

No, it just has all the pins attached along the edges of the panel.
They're sort of crimped on, then covered with a clear layer of what
appears to be some type of hard conformal coating. I've noticed that
sometimes I can get a bad segment to come on by tweaking the display a
little, but only while applying some force. It appears to be bad
connections, probably where the pins connect to the panel. The pins are
soldered into the PCB, so I know the problem's not there.

Steve

BOB URZ wrote:

Steve wrote:

[...]

I tried DigiKey with no luck, but I haven't tried Jamco yet. Thanks for
the suggestion.

James Sweet

No, it just has all the pins attached along the edges of the panel.
They're sort of crimped on, then covered with a clear layer of what
appears to be some type of hard conformal coating. I've noticed that
sometimes I can get a bad segment to come on by tweaking the display a
little, but only while applying some force. It appears to be bad
connections, probably where the pins connect to the panel. The pins are
soldered into the PCB, so I know the problem's not there.

Bummer, sounds like your initial diagnosis of a bad display is definitly
correct, it'd be worth checking surplus places like All Electronics, HSC,
Alltronics, and a number of similar places.

Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:15:30 GMT, Steve
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'm trying to find a replacement LCD for a Toro Vision 2 irrigation
controller. I tried to purchase one through Toro, but they won't sell it
to me.

Have you tried Toro's PartsViewer?
https://lookup2.toro.com/partdex/default.cfm

If so, is the clock module considered to be a serviceable part, or do
Toro expect you to replace the entire PCB?

- Franc Zabkar
Steve

Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:15:30 GMT, Steve
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'm trying to find a replacement LCD for a Toro Vision 2 irrigation
controller. I tried to purchase one through Toro, but they won't sell it
to me.

Have you tried Toro's PartsViewer?
https://lookup2.toro.com/partdex/default.cfm

If so, is the clock module considered to be a serviceable part, or do
Toro expect you to replace the entire PCB?

- Franc Zabkar

The controller's model number doesn't come up in the Toro PartsViewer. I
imagine this model is obsolete. The guy at the irrigation supply shop I
went to looked up the controller in an older parts book, and the display
was a serviceable part early on (Toro part #35-9488). When he tried to
order one for me, he was told that it was no longer available. But he
started checking around and found out that some of the current Toro
controllers are still using the same display, according to the newer
parts breakdowns. So it seems like Toro should be able to sell one. I
think they would rather I bought a whole new controller instead!

Steve

James Sweet wrote:

No, it just has all the pins attached along the edges of the panel.
They're sort of crimped on, then covered with a clear layer of what
appears to be some type of hard conformal coating. I've noticed that
sometimes I can get a bad segment to come on by tweaking the display a
little, but only while applying some force. It appears to be bad
connections, probably where the pins connect to the panel. The pins are
soldered into the PCB, so I know the problem's not there.

Bummer, sounds like your initial diagnosis of a bad display is definitly
correct, it'd be worth checking surplus places like All Electronics, HSC,
Alltronics, and a number of similar places.

Yeah, I'll keep checking around and see what I can find. If the display
didn't need to have the days on it, I would probably be able to adapt a
genereic display without too much difficulty. However, those days are
very important to the operation of the controller, at least to get it to
water when it should!

Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:04:17 GMT, Steve

Franc Zabkar wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that's probably it. I'll run your part number past the local
distributor and see what they say.

- Franc Zabkar
Steve

[...]

Thanks, I sincerely appreciate it!

Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:21:33 GMT, Steve
put finger to keyboard and composed:

The controller's model number doesn't come up in the Toro PartsViewer. I
imagine this model is obsolete. The guy at the irrigation supply shop I
went to looked up the controller in an older parts book, and the display
was a serviceable part early on (Toro part #35-9488). When he tried to
order one for me, he was told that it was no longer available. But he
started checking around and found out that some of the current Toro
controllers are still using the same display, according to the newer
parts breakdowns. So it seems like Toro should be able to sell one. I
think they would rather I bought a whole new controller instead!

Yeah, that's probably it. I'll run your part number past the local
distributor and see what they say.

- Franc Zabkar

Thanks, I sincerely appreciate it!

It's available for about AU$25 + tax, ex-stock Sydney, Australia.

- Franc Zabkar