James Sweet

"Steve" wrote in message
ink.net...

James Sweet wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
link.net...

I'm trying to find a replacement LCD for a Toro Vision 2 irrigation
controller. I tried to purchase one through Toro, but they won't sell it
to me.

It appears to be a fairly generic clock display. It has 4 full digits w/
colon in the middle, AM and PM to the right of the digits, and along the
bottom are the days. It has legs attached to it, 12 along the top and 12
along the bottom at 0.1 inch separation. It appears that the first, 6th,
7th, and 12th pins in each row serve no electrical function, as they're
cut shorter than the others and do not contact the PCB. The only writing
on this LCD is the number 2391 on the back.

Here's an attempt to draw the display (it looks reasonably correct if
all the characters are the same width):

o o o o o o o o o o o o
-------------------------------
| |
| #### #### #### #### |
| # # # # # # # # # AM |
| #### #### #### #### |
| # # # # # # # # # PM |
| #### #### #### #### |
| |
| SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT |
-------------------------------
o o o o o o o o o o o o

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It's probably a custom made part, but you could probably adapt a generic
surplus LCD panel to work. What's wrong with the existing one, is it
physically cracked?

The one I have has some segments that quit working. Makes it difficult
to tell a 7 from a 1, etc. I swapped the display from a good unit to
verify that it was the display that was at fault as opposed to the
driving circtuitry. I also suspect that it might be a proprietary part,
but I'm hoping to find that I'm wrong!

Any chance it uses the little conductive rubber strips to connect the
display panel itself to the board? Those occasionally get contaminated or
misaligned and cause dead segments. It's pretty rare for the display panel
itself to fail unless the driver put out DC and caused electrolosis damage,
could happen though.