SwankyGirl

Default AIWA NSX SZ-20 CD PLAYER problem

Hi group,

My AIWA mini Hi Fi system model NSX SZ- 20(3cd changer,FM/SW/MW radio,
2deck)is giving problem suddenly.It is 3 yrs old.

Till the other day it plyed very well all my Imation audio CD R s
burnt with Nero ver 6.0 in Samsung cd writer.

Now when I put the same CD Rs the spindle tries to rotate the cd with
"CLICK" "CLICK" sound(atleast 3 times this sound comes and spindle
halts 3 times before picking up speed),finally the cd spins but no
track information or music and the system doesn't recognise the cd and
asks for a CD.

But Occassionally it plays the CDR.

If I use other audio CDs that came from recording companies,the
spindle has no problem spinning them without click click sound and any
halts in between.And the system plays these CDs well.So it seems my
system is apparently OK.

So where the problem is?
In the CDR s which were once plyed well and now occassionally played
too?Or in the Spindle? Do I have to clean up the Lens etc?

Any help is highly appreciated

Ken G.

Take the top off the stereo and clean the CD lense with a slightly damp
with windex ( do NOT use alcohal ) coton swab then buff the lense with
the dry end of the swab .

Jerry G.

On some lens units, but not all, the alcohol may cloud the lens. You can use
just a little dampening of water. Do not get any water or any kind of liquid
on the electronics.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"b" wrote in message
om...
(Ken G.) wrote in message
Take the top off the stereo and clean the CD lense with a slightly damp
with windex ( do NOT use alcohal ) coton swab then buff the lense with
the dry end of the swab .

whay can't you use alcohol?

Ken G.

In my 35 years of electronic servicing i have found alcohol a poor
choice of cleaner and useless .Use windex to clean lenses .

SwankyGirl

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the advice.
Yesterday evening my system played all the CDRs it refused to play in
the morning.But today morning it again refused to play them.
I think the relatively low night temperature(around 26 C)is affeting
my system strangely after so many years of music.Cant believe it.
It seems it is a humidity problem.
Anyway I want to clean up the Lens.

In this AIWA NSX SZ-20 model how to access the lens?
Can I clean the lens with Tape Head cleaner solution?\

Thanks in advance
Swanky

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message ...
Needs cleaning. Not a cleaning disc - a "real" cleaning.

Should help for a while, these units are dust magnets.

Mark Z.

Mark D. Zacharias

"SwankyGirl" wrote in message
m...
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the advice.
Yesterday evening my system played all the CDRs it refused to play in
the morning.But today morning it again refused to play them.
I think the relatively low night temperature(around 26 C)is affeting
my system strangely after so many years of music.Cant believe it.
It seems it is a humidity problem.
Anyway I want to clean up the Lens.

In this AIWA NSX SZ-20 model how to access the lens?
Can I clean the lens with Tape Head cleaner solution?\

Thanks in advance
Swanky

Not familiar with this exact model. The lens is cleaned using a cotton swab
moistened but not dripping with window cleaner or Everclear-grade alcohol.
Clean the lens GENTLY with a circular rolling motion, follow immediately
with a dry one to get any residue. There's other maintenance type issues on
CD players but your immediate problem seems to involve only the laser lens.

You should be able to find the laser lens with a visual inspection. It's
very near the little disc turntable. A few Aiwa models do rather bury the
whole CD ass'y under a bunch of stuff at the bottom of the unit. Most mount
the cd section up high - it is this type that you can probably clean
yourself. If the CD section is down low, probably best get it to a shop.

Mark Z.

SwankyGirl

Thank you again Mark.

Presently my system doesnt have severe problems though I never cleaned
any inside part of it in the past three years.

It has this occassional difficulty (since the past few days)in reading
the track info from my Imation CDR s.When it does read
occassionally,some type of "scratching sound" comes initially while
reading the track info.Then ofcorse,it plays very well.This has been
happening for the past 3/4 days.It has no problem reading audio cds
from audio companies.

The cd assembly in my unit is on the top only.Will try to clean it up.
Just afraid that I might cause more damage and render it completely
useles.

Here I found people suggesting "WINDEX" ,window cleaner (what is this
anyway?)
isopryl alchol or Evercleargrade alcohol.I really dont have any idea
as to which one to choose.Ultimately it depends on which one is
available in my locality.

Thanks and regards
Swanky.

Not familiar with this exact model. The lens is cleaned using a cotton swab
moistened but not dripping with window cleaner or Everclear-grade alcohol.
Clean the lens GENTLY with a circular rolling motion, follow immediately
with a dry one to get any residue. There's other maintenance type issues on
CD players but your immediate problem seems to involve only the laser lens.

You should be able to find the laser lens with a visual inspection. It's
very near the little disc turntable. A few Aiwa models do rather bury the
whole CD ass'y under a bunch of stuff at the bottom of the unit. Most mount
the cd section up high - it is this type that you can probably clean
yourself. If the CD section is down low, probably best get it to a shop.

Mark Z.

Mark D. Zacharias

[...]

I think I'd just stick with any "blue" window cleaner. High-grade alcohol is
often used by engineers on expensive equipment, but if there's any chance of
clouding or fogging the plastic lens, why take that chance?

Mark Z.

Sam Goldwasser

I've yet to hear of any confirmed reports of isopropyl alcohol (pure, 99%,
medicinal or even rubbing alcohol if it doesn't have added ingredients)
hurting a CD player lens. That's what I use.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.
NSM

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
| I've yet to hear of any confirmed reports of isopropyl alcohol (pure, 99%,
| medicinal or even rubbing alcohol if it doesn't have added ingredients)
| hurting a CD player lens. That's what I use.

Most plastics are inert to most reasonable solvents, except that
polycarbonate will craze if certain solvents (such as acetone) are applied.
Don't clean your CDs with those!

Also, in some countries (Australia) all rubbing alcohol contains oily
additives. Avoid.

NM

Sam Goldwasser

"NSM" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
| I've yet to hear of any confirmed reports of isopropyl alcohol (pure, 99%,
| medicinal or even rubbing alcohol if it doesn't have added ingredients)
| hurting a CD player lens. That's what I use.

Most plastics are inert to most reasonable solvents, except that
polycarbonate will craze if certain solvents (such as acetone) are applied.
Don't clean your CDs with those!

Also, in some countries (Australia) all rubbing alcohol contains oily
additives. Avoid.

Yes, that should be avoided but around here, rubbing alcohol is quite pure
side from water. There is also 91 percent and 99 percent readialy available
and inexpensive in grocery stores.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.
NSM

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
| "NSM" writes:

| Yes, that should be avoided but around here, rubbing alcohol is quite pure
| side from water. There is also 91 percent and 99 percent readialy
available
| and inexpensive in grocery stores.

I looked for some down-under to clean a cassette head. All I found contained
emollient and perfumes!

NM

Sam Goldwasser

"NSM" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
| "NSM" writes:

| Yes, that should be avoided but around here, rubbing alcohol is quite pure
| side from water. There is also 91 percent and 99 percent readialy
available
| and inexpensive in grocery stores.

I looked for some down-under to clean a cassette head. All I found contained
emollient and perfumes!

Well, you'd have a nice smelling cassette deck.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Ken G.

I have never understood this alcohol thing .. there are many things that
work far better . When i used to work on alot of tape decks i tried the
alcohal and it did nothing to remove any dirt from anything just like
using water .
I have heard alcohal works good to wash big screen coolant oil from
circuit boards though .

Asimov

"Sam Goldwasser" bravely wrote to "All" (11 Nov 04 19:58:23)
--- on the heady topic of " AIWA NSX SZ-20 CD PLAYER problem"

SG From: Sam Goldwasser
SG "NSM" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
| "NSM" writes:

| Yes, that should be avoided but around here, rubbing alcohol is quite pure
| side from water. There is also 91 percent and 99 percent readialy
available
| and inexpensive in grocery stores.

I looked for some down-under to clean a cassette head. All I found contained
emollient and perfumes!

SG Well, you'd have a nice smelling cassette deck.

I heard tell that anything over 180 proof is also a good substitute.
Cheers!

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well.

SwankyGirl

Hi Mark,

Coming back to my original post,I noticed the the following symptoms
in my system.

I).Its spindle spins the CDs without any halts and playes them
perfectly if I use rlatively unused/new CDs from audio companies(ie
not CD R s).It is not able to play old/heavily used CDs though they
are from audio companies.

So I am not able to suspect the lense /dust problem.

II).If I use Imation CDRs burnt on my PC ,the spindle slowly starts to
spin with 3 halts as if the CD is too heavy to rotate.
Due to these "initial halts" the Cd info is not read and the system
gives no cd message.

Nevertheless it sometimes plays some of these Imation CDRs.
It doesnt play heavily used CDRs.

It seems there is a problem with spindle/reading heavily used
CDs/CDRs.

Any comments?

Regards
Swanky

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message ...

I think I'd just stick with any "blue" window cleaner. High-grade alcohol is
often used by engineers on expensive equipment, but if there's any chance of
clouding or fogging the plastic lens, why take that chance?

Mark Z.

Mark D. Zacharias

[...]

Still sounds like a cleaning issue or a deteriorated laser pickup to me.
VERY common set of symptoms.

Mark Z.

Asimov

"SwankyGirl" bravely wrote to "All" (12 Nov 04 22:21:45)
--- on the heady topic of " AIWA NSX SZ-20 CD PLAYER problem"

Your heavily used vs new cd's theory may just be a coincidence.
Perhaps the spindle motor has internal shorts. Try and test the
resistance as the spindle is slowly rotated, it should be about 50 to
100 ohms, and if less than 10 it would clinch the diagnosis.

Sw From: (SwankyGirl)

Sw Hi Mark,

Sw Coming back to my original post,I noticed the the following symptoms
Sw in my system.

Sw I).Its spindle spins the CDs without any halts and playes them
Sw perfectly if I use rlatively unused/new CDs from audio companies(ie
Sw not CD R s).It is not able to play old/heavily used CDs though they
Sw are from audio companies.

Sw So I am not able to suspect the lense /dust problem.

Sw II).If I use Imation CDRs burnt on my PC ,the spindle slowly starts to
Sw spin with 3 halts as if the CD is too heavy to rotate.
Sw Due to these "initial halts" the Cd info is not read and the system
Sw gives no cd message.

Sw Nevertheless it sometimes plays some of these Imation CDRs.
Sw It doesnt play heavily used CDRs.

Sw It seems there is a problem with spindle/reading heavily used
Sw CDs/CDRs.

Sw Any comments?

Sw Regards
Sw Swanky

Sw "Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
Sw ...

I think I'd just stick with any "blue" window cleaner. High-grade alcohol is
often used by engineers on expensive equipment, but if there's any chance of
clouding or fogging the plastic lens, why take that chance?

Mark Z.

.... If all else fails, hurl it across the room a few times!