Asimov

"SwankyGirl" bravely wrote to "All" (12 Nov 04 22:21:45)
--- on the heady topic of " AIWA NSX SZ-20 CD PLAYER problem"

Your heavily used vs new cd's theory may just be a coincidence.
Perhaps the spindle motor has internal shorts. Try and test the
resistance as the spindle is slowly rotated, it should be about 50 to
100 ohms, and if less than 10 it would clinch the diagnosis.

Sw From: (SwankyGirl)

Sw Hi Mark,

Sw Coming back to my original post,I noticed the the following symptoms
Sw in my system.

Sw I).Its spindle spins the CDs without any halts and playes them
Sw perfectly if I use rlatively unused/new CDs from audio companies(ie
Sw not CD R s).It is not able to play old/heavily used CDs though they
Sw are from audio companies.

Sw So I am not able to suspect the lense /dust problem.

Sw II).If I use Imation CDRs burnt on my PC ,the spindle slowly starts to
Sw spin with 3 halts as if the CD is too heavy to rotate.
Sw Due to these "initial halts" the Cd info is not read and the system
Sw gives no cd message.

Sw Nevertheless it sometimes plays some of these Imation CDRs.
Sw It doesnt play heavily used CDRs.

Sw It seems there is a problem with spindle/reading heavily used
Sw CDs/CDRs.

Sw Any comments?

Sw Regards
Sw Swanky

Sw "Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
Sw ...

I think I'd just stick with any "blue" window cleaner. High-grade alcohol is
often used by engineers on expensive equipment, but if there's any chance of
clouding or fogging the plastic lens, why take that chance?

Mark Z.

.... If all else fails, hurl it across the room a few times!