Ger

Default Dell P991 Monitor Problem - seeking help

Hi Group,
My PC Monitor is a DELL Multiscan P991. About 2/3 years old. Just about
useable in its present condition.
It suffers from the following symptoms:

1. Screen is overly bright even after using brightness controls. Contrast is
poor.
2. Icons are just a bit fuzzy
3. The 'flyback' lines are visible always

I have some electronics experience so taking the back off the monitor is no
big problem. I know about the hi voltages etc etc.
I am hoping that the above symptoms will be instantly recognisable by an
expert as either some internal adjustment I can make or some component
starting to fail and needing replacement.
Any comments or advice would be very welcome please.

Ger

Jerry G.

This sounds like problems in the CRT bias circuits, or in the HV multiplier.
The multiplier on most monitors is located on the side of the HV transformer
(flyback).

You must first check the biases to the CRT, and verify if they are in specs.
This may be difficult to determine without the service manual. The G2
(screen bias) to the CRT, and also the high voltage are important to verify.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Ger" wrote in message
Hi Group,
My PC Monitor is a DELL Multiscan P991. About 2/3 years old. Just about
useable in its present condition.
It suffers from the following symptoms:

1. Screen is overly bright even after using brightness controls. Contrast
is poor.
2. Icons are just a bit fuzzy
3. The 'flyback' lines are visible always

I have some electronics experience so taking the back off the monitor is
no big problem. I know about the hi voltages etc etc.
I am hoping that the above symptoms will be instantly recognisable by an
expert as either some internal adjustment I can make or some component
starting to fail and needing replacement.
Any comments or advice would be very welcome please.

Ger

Andy Cuffe

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:01:40 -0000, "Ger"
wrote:

Hi Group,
My PC Monitor is a DELL Multiscan P991. About 2/3 years old. Just about
useable in its present condition.
It suffers from the following symptoms:

1. Screen is overly bright even after using brightness controls. Contrast is
poor.
2. Icons are just a bit fuzzy
3. The 'flyback' lines are visible always

I have some electronics experience so taking the back off the monitor is no
big problem. I know about the hi voltages etc etc.
I am hoping that the above symptoms will be instantly recognisable by an
expert as either some internal adjustment I can make or some component
starting to fail and needing replacement.
Any comments or advice would be very welcome please.

Ger

Did you run the "color restore" function in the menu? It usually
fixes this problem.
Andy Cuffe

BubbaJim

Andy Cuffe wrote in
:

1. Screen is overly bright even after using brightness controls.
Contrast is poor.
2. Icons are just a bit fuzzy
3. The 'flyback' lines are visible always

As long as the back is open (I presume it is) look toward the rear, left
or right, for a large transformer with two adjustment screws on it facing
the rear. USING A PLASTIC TIP, turn the LOWER (screen) adjustment CCW and
the thin lines will hopefully disappear. The upper adjustment is for
focus. Hope this takes care of your problem.
BubbaJim

Ger

Folks, many thanks for all the advice - off now to see if I can fix the
problem.
Will report back.
Ger

"BubbaJim" wrote in message
66...
Andy Cuffe wrote in
:

1. Screen is overly bright even after using brightness controls.
Contrast is poor.
2. Icons are just a bit fuzzy
3. The 'flyback' lines are visible always

As long as the back is open (I presume it is) look toward the rear, left
or right, for a large transformer with two adjustment screws on it facing
the rear. USING A PLASTIC TIP, turn the LOWER (screen) adjustment CCW and
the thin lines will hopefully disappear. The upper adjustment is for
focus. Hope this takes care of your problem.
BubbaJim

Ger

wrote:

[...]

Andy Cuffe wins the biscuit - COLOUR RESTORE fixed the problem (after a
WARM UP of about 35 minutes).
But well worth the wait :-)))

Thanks again to everyone

Ger

Andy Cuffe

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:10:26 GMT, BubbaJim
wrote:

Andy Cuffe wrote in
:

1. Screen is overly bright even after using brightness controls.
Contrast is poor.
2. Icons are just a bit fuzzy
3. The 'flyback' lines are visible always

As long as the back is open (I presume it is) look toward the rear, left
or right, for a large transformer with two adjustment screws on it facing
the rear. USING A PLASTIC TIP, turn the LOWER (screen) adjustment CCW and
the thin lines will hopefully disappear. The upper adjustment is for
focus. Hope this takes care of your problem.
BubbaJim

This monitor has no screen adjustment pot. It can only be adjusted
through the service software. Both controls on the flyback of this
monitor are for focus.
Andy Cuffe

BubbaJim

Andy Cuffe wrote in
:

This monitor has no screen adjustment pot. It can only be adjusted
through the service software. Both controls on the flyback of this
monitor are for focus.
Andy Cuffe

Good call, Andy...If a day goes by and ya don't learn something, it's a bad
day!!
BubbaJim