Electronics Repair (sci.electronics.repair) Discussion of repairing electronic equipment. Topics include requests for assistance, where to obtain servicing information and parts, techniques for diagnosis and repair, and annecdotes about success, failures and problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 7th 21, 01:38 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2021
Posts: 8
Default Eneloop D adapter help

I've switched some of my devices to Eneloop AA's in Eneloop D adapter
cells. The problem I'm having is that sometimes the cells don't seem to
be making good contact with the device battery terminals. It's not
corrosion, the positive terminal on the Eneloop D is quite small and I
believe is the culprit causing intermittent if not positioned correctly.
Is there anything I can do to improve the positive Eneloop D adapter
contact with the device positive terminals?

  #2   Report Post  
Old March 7th 21, 03:00 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 398
Default Eneloop D adapter help

In Hem Jung writes:

I've switched some of my devices to Eneloop AA's in Eneloop D adapter
cells. The problem I'm having is that sometimes the cells don't seem to
be making good contact with the device battery terminals. It's not
corrosion, the positive terminal on the Eneloop D is quite small and I
believe is the culprit causing intermittent if not positioned correctly.
Is there anything I can do to improve the positive Eneloop D adapter
contact with the device positive terminals?


You're going to laugh at me but... seriously, consider
crumpling up a bit of aluminium foil.

I've done this in a similar situation where the tip of
a cell didn't reliably reach the contact.

--
__________________________________________________ ___
Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key

[to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]
  #3   Report Post  
Old March 7th 21, 03:28 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2021
Posts: 8
Default Eneloop D adapter help

On 3/6/21 10:00 PM, danny burstein wrote:
In Hem Jung writes:

I've switched some of my devices to Eneloop AA's in Eneloop D adapter
cells. The problem I'm having is that sometimes the cells don't seem to
be making good contact with the device battery terminals. It's not
corrosion, the positive terminal on the Eneloop D is quite small and I
believe is the culprit causing intermittent if not positioned correctly.
Is there anything I can do to improve the positive Eneloop D adapter
contact with the device positive terminals?


You're going to laugh at me but... seriously, consider
crumpling up a bit of aluminium foil.


No, that's actually what I did, but I have shorting concerns. Some of
the electronics are moved around so there is the possibility of foil
shorting.


I've done this in a similar situation where the tip of
a cell didn't reliably reach the contact.


I'm not real happy about the positive side of these cell adapters.
Seems it's tiny and almost recessed.


  #4   Report Post  
Old March 7th 21, 04:52 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2020
Posts: 151
Default Eneloop D adapter help

Ummmmm.....

I do not understand! An adaptor in this application is by its very nature a kluge. Use the right tool for the job. If you need D batteries, purchase D batteries. If you need rechargeable D batteries, then purchase those - along with the appropriate peripherals, of course. Similarly for 9-volt, A, AA, AAA, C & N batteries. Even lantern batteries, comes to it. They are all 'out there'.

I would not undertake to cut down a tree with a scalpel, nor would I wish to do surgery with an ax. That is the level of discussion applicable here.

Of course, you will get all sorts of advice and offered all sorts of solutions with the full understanding that this venue exist to give bad advice and bad solutions to simple problems, then discuss those same bad solutions across dozens of posts.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
  #5   Report Post  
Old March 7th 21, 06:37 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2021
Posts: 16
Default Eneloop D adapter help

On 07/03/2021 16:52, Peter W. wrote:
Ummmmm.....

I do not understand! An adaptor in this application is by its very nature a kluge. Use the right tool for the job. If you need D batteries, purchase D batteries. If you need rechargeable D batteries, then purchase those - along with the appropriate peripherals, of course. Similarly for 9-volt, A, AA, AAA, C & N batteries. Even lantern batteries, comes to it. They are all 'out there'.

I would not undertake to cut down a tree with a scalpel, nor would I wish to do surgery with an ax. That is the level of discussion applicable here.

Of course, you will get all sorts of advice and offered all sorts of solutions with the full understanding that this venue exist to give bad advice and bad solutions to simple problems, then discuss those same bad solutions across dozens of posts.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA


"Or how about just shelling out on a proper rechargeable D cell ?"


  #6   Report Post  
Old March 9th 21, 02:08 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2021
Posts: 8
Default Eneloop D adapter help

On 3/6/21 8:38 PM, Hem Jung wrote:
I've switched some of my devices to Eneloop AA's in Eneloop D adapter
cells.* The problem I'm having is that sometimes the cells don't seem to
be making good contact with the device battery terminals.* It's not
corrosion, the positive terminal on the Eneloop D is quite small and I
believe is the culprit causing intermittent if not positioned correctly.
*Is there anything I can do to improve the positive Eneloop D adapter
contact with the device positive terminals?


My solution turned out to be modifying the actual D cell holder itself
and not touching the battery adapters. I simply screwed in a couple of
bolts with head sizes larger in area that the original positive
terminals. Then, cut off the thread part of the bolt ends and sealed
off with liquid electrical tape to offset any short possibility.
Problem solved.

By the way, some suggested using the right battery for the right job.
To my knowledge, Eneloop doesn't make a D cell. Others do, but I only
trust Eneloop. They do have multi AA to D adapters, but for the small
amount of current drawn, I went with a single AA to D this time around.

  #7   Report Post  
Old March 9th 21, 03:04 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2020
Posts: 151
Default Eneloop D adapter help

By the way, some suggested using the right battery for the right job.
To my knowledge, Eneloop doesn't make a D cell. Others do, but I only
trust Eneloop. They do have multi AA to D adapters, but for the small
amount of current drawn, I went with a single AA to D this time around.


That is your choice, of course. But there are many manufacturers as reliable and established as Panasonic that do not require you to indulge in a questionable exercise to adapt to the basic inadequacies of their designs. In addition, one does wonder what Panasonic would do in the case of a spectacular failure within the warranty period - would they perform, or not? After all, your adaptation did alter their design - under very nearly any scenario, that voids any warranty, expressed or implied.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...ble-batteries/
https://reactual.com/portable-electr...batteries.html
https://www.ign.com/articles/best-re...able-batteries

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
  #8   Report Post  
Old March 9th 21, 05:09 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2021
Posts: 8
Default Eneloop D adapter help

On 3/9/21 10:04 AM, Peter W. wrote:
By the way, some suggested using the right battery for the right job.
To my knowledge, Eneloop doesn't make a D cell. Others do, but I only
trust Eneloop. They do have multi AA to D adapters, but for the small
amount of current drawn, I went with a single AA to D this time around.


That is your choice, of course. But there are many manufacturers as reliable and established as Panasonic that do not require you to indulge in a questionable exercise to adapt to the basic inadequacies of their designs. In addition, one does wonder what Panasonic would do in the case of a spectacular failure within the warranty period - would they perform, or not? After all, your adaptation did alter their design - under very nearly any scenario, that voids any warranty, expressed or implied.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...ble-batteries/
https://reactual.com/portable-electr...batteries.html
https://www.ign.com/articles/best-re...able-batteries

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA


The thing is, these are being used in equipment that is seldom used,
maybe occasionally (half a dozen times) a year and even then for brief
periods. What attracted me to Eneloop a decade ago is that I still have
electronics with the original Eneloops that have not been recharged for
nine years and they still come on and work properly after all that time.
Plus, I can leave them in the equipment and not be concerned with
leakage, something I often encountered with regular batteries.
  #9   Report Post  
Old March 10th 21, 12:09 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2020
Posts: 96
Default Eneloop D adapter help

On Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 12:09:55 PM UTC-5, Hem Jung wrote:
On 3/9/21 10:04 AM, Peter W. wrote:
By the way, some suggested using the right battery for the right job.
To my knowledge, Eneloop doesn't make a D cell. Others do, but I only
trust Eneloop. They do have multi AA to D adapters, but for the small
amount of current drawn, I went with a single AA to D this time around..


That is your choice, of course. But there are many manufacturers as reliable and established as Panasonic that do not require you to indulge in a questionable exercise to adapt to the basic inadequacies of their designs. In addition, one does wonder what Panasonic would do in the case of a spectacular failure within the warranty period - would they perform, or not? After all, your adaptation did alter their design - under very nearly any scenario, that voids any warranty, expressed or implied.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...ble-batteries/
https://reactual.com/portable-electr...atteries..html
https://www.ign.com/articles/best-re...able-batteries

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

The thing is, these are being used in equipment that is seldom used,
maybe occasionally (half a dozen times) a year and even then for brief
periods. What attracted me to Eneloop a decade ago is that I still have
electronics with the original Eneloops that have not been recharged for
nine years and they still come on and work properly after all that time.
Plus, I can leave them in the equipment and not be concerned with
leakage, something I often encountered with regular batteries.



I've had the same experience. I remember misplacing a set of the original AAA Eneloops, and later found them in a remote control in a box with other remotes in my shop. Damned things were still charged after four years of being AWOL and they were already about 5 years old when I lost them. They also don't leak.



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EneLoop NiMh Batteries: Precharged ?? (PeteCresswell) Home Repair 7 December 17th 16 03:51 AM
Eneloop cells; offer PeterC UK diy 3 April 25th 11 04:24 PM
Whatever happened to Sanyo's eneloop batteries? Timothy Murphy[_2_] UK diy 6 April 11th 11 10:17 PM
Sanyo Eneloop batteries and charger: Work for Texas Instruments 84 calc? [email protected] Electronics Repair 27 August 27th 08 06:40 PM
Sell:Brass Male Adapter,Swivel Female Adapter,Flare Adapter,Tee,Connector,Barbed Tee,Elbow, valvetom Home Repair 0 November 27th 06 05:50 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017