Lenny

Default CRT scratch

I made a service call yesterday at the request of a moving company.
They put a small (about 2") scratch in the upper left hand corner of
this customers 39" TV moving it. They wanted me to see if I could
"buff" it out. I told them probably not but they still wanted me to
look at it. It is hardly noticable and not at all with the set on. I
told the customer it wasn't dangerous as it is only surface and that I
would have the movers contact them, I would suspect to buy them off.
But then I got to wondering. Am I sticking my neck out passing
judgement on this? I really don't see how this could be a hazzard but
could it be? Are there guidelines on his sort of thing? Does anyone
have any further insight on this? Thanks. Lenny Stein, Barlen
Electronics
Sofie

Lenny,
You are most likely correct regarding your diagnosis and prognosis...... and
if were my television I would have accepted that.....
HOWEVER, in this out of control law suit crazy society we live in, since it
is no skin off of your back to report to them that the only way to
"properly" fix it is to replace the CRT and/or replace the television.... I
think that I may have done this instead of saying that there is no problem.
Who knows, you might get the CRT replacement business on this one.
Remember that the glass is very thick in the front of the CRT, especially
near the corners.... so again I don't "think" there is any possible danger
of implosion or cracking...... the other thought that comes to me is that a
glass cutter only has to score the glass in order to break it cleanly.......
food for thought.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Lenny" wrote in message
om...
I made a service call yesterday at the request of a moving company.
They put a small (about 2") scratch in the upper left hand corner of
this customers 39" TV moving it. They wanted me to see if I could
"buff" it out. I told them probably not but they still wanted me to
look at it. It is hardly noticable and not at all with the set on. I
told the customer it wasn't dangerous as it is only surface and that I
would have the movers contact them, I would suspect to buy them off.
But then I got to wondering. Am I sticking my neck out passing
judgement on this? I really don't see how this could be a hazzard but
could it be? Are there guidelines on his sort of thing? Does anyone
have any further insight on this? Thanks. Lenny Stein, Barlen
Electronics

Baz

Interesting comment about the glass cutter. Some years ago I was breaking
up a 53cm trinitron to dump into my garbage tin. I was using a glass cutter
(scorer) and a short piece of water pipe for the percussive tool. Naturally
I stared with the gun and the neck and worked down from there. When I got
to the screen, with it face up, pounding on it with the pipe did nothing.
One score (I guess about 12" long) across the front changed all that. The
glass, about 20-25mm thick broke first tap (a rather hard one!) right along
the line. I was surprised just how much difference the score made.

I have also been on a guided tour of a tube re-build plant some 20 years
ago, and one of the things they did to a picture tube was to polish out any
small scratches on the screen just after "letting the vacuum out". The
guide stressed that it was only minor scratches they could do this with.

Regards
Barry

"Sofie" wrote in message
[...]

Art

I agree with Sofie. The customer will hear only what they want to hear and
interpret it to their benefit. God Forbid but if anything happened as a
result, even if something were thrown at the set later, they would recall
instantly your comment about it not being a problem. instantly they may
consider making you a liable party. It is totally amazing, that even when we
give a customer something in written form how they can attempt to
misinterpret or misconstrue the meaning only to the chagrin of the original
script writer. Policy I have used is yes it has been damaged, this is the
procedure that should be followed, and leave it at that. If they want a
written estimate consider all the probabilities. Sad to say but we all must
cover our respective postiers now days, if a customer or their solicitor
smells cash you know who they will try to squeeze.
om.au...

"Sofie" wrote in message
[...]

James Sweet

"Sofie" wrote in message
[...]

I'd bet anything that the scratch will never cause a problem directly, but
as you say, it could cause a problem if something else causes the tube to
implode and the scratch gets the blame.

Michael A. Covington

The CRT manufacturer would know for sure, and would almost certainly say to
replace it. Given that it involves both danger and liability, 99% safe
isn't safe enough.

"Sofie" wrote in message
[...]

"Lenny" wrote in message
om...
I made a service call yesterday at the request of a moving company.
They put a small (about 2") scratch in the upper left hand corner of
this customers 39" TV moving it. They wanted me to see if I could
"buff" it out. I told them probably not but they still wanted me to
look at it. It is hardly noticable and not at all with the set on. I
told the customer it wasn't dangerous as it is only surface and that I
would have the movers contact them, I would suspect to buy them off.
But then I got to wondering. Am I sticking my neck out passing
judgement on this? I really don't see how this could be a hazzard but
could it be? Are there guidelines on his sort of thing? Does anyone
have any further insight on this? Thanks. Lenny Stein, Barlen
Electronics

Jerry G.

The scratch in theory should not be a problem. But, I would not take the
chance to say that it is safe, just in case something happens that you did
not think can happen.

I would suggest that the tube may be safe if it used this way, but since it
is a scratch in the glass surface, it cannot be officially considered to be
safe.

It is possible to polish out a scratch in glass. The proper high speed
buffer, and the proper polishing compounds would be required. This can take
a long time to do. Considering that the glass is part of a CRT that contains
a high vacuum, makes me consider that this may not be something that I would
be wanting to do. In the case of the CRT, if there is an antiglare coating,
buffing it will take out part of this coating in the area that is being
buffed..

The bottom line I would use, is that the set may be usable the way it is,
but since there is a scratch in the glass, you do not want the
responsibility to officially approve this as being safe.

The proper solution would be to change the tube, or change the set. In this
set, the CRT replacement including the labour, may cost as much as the set,
or maybe a bit more..

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"Lenny" wrote in message
om...
I made a service call yesterday at the request of a moving company.
They put a small (about 2") scratch in the upper left hand corner of
this customers 39" TV moving it. They wanted me to see if I could
"buff" it out. I told them probably not but they still wanted me to
look at it. It is hardly noticable and not at all with the set on. I
told the customer it wasn't dangerous as it is only surface and that I
would have the movers contact them, I would suspect to buy them off.
But then I got to wondering. Am I sticking my neck out passing
judgement on this? I really don't see how this could be a hazzard but
could it be? Are there guidelines on his sort of thing? Does anyone
have any further insight on this? Thanks. Lenny Stein, Barlen
Electronics

Mr TUBEAMPS

scrached a large b&w tube once
luky it was outside the house
over night it imploaded, glass on the roof
and in next doors yard.
i would not take the chance keeping
the old tube.

"Lenny" wrote in message
om...
I made a service call yesterday at the request of a moving company.
They put a small (about 2") scratch in the upper left hand corner of
this customers 39" TV moving it. They wanted me to see if I could
"buff" it out. I told them probably not but they still wanted me to
look at it. It is hardly noticable and not at all with the set on. I
told the customer it wasn't dangerous as it is only surface and that I
would have the movers contact them, I would suspect to buy them off.
But then I got to wondering. Am I sticking my neck out passing
judgement on this? I really don't see how this could be a hazzard but
could it be? Are there guidelines on his sort of thing? Does anyone
have any further insight on this? Thanks. Lenny Stein, Barlen
Electronics

Lenny

Thanks very much to everyone for all your responses. I will definitly
not expose my backside any more on this one than I have to. I'll now
recommend that it may not be safe. I'm sure they'll just replace the
set for the customer, but I would do the tube if they want me to.
"Mr TUBEAMPS" youfinedout@thomuusnonsence wrote in message . au...
scrached a large b&w tube once
luky it was outside the house
over night it imploaded, glass on the roof
and in next doors yard.
i would not take the chance keeping
the old tube.

om...