Jerry G.

The scratch in theory should not be a problem. But, I would not take the
chance to say that it is safe, just in case something happens that you did
not think can happen.

I would suggest that the tube may be safe if it used this way, but since it
is a scratch in the glass surface, it cannot be officially considered to be
safe.

It is possible to polish out a scratch in glass. The proper high speed
buffer, and the proper polishing compounds would be required. This can take
a long time to do. Considering that the glass is part of a CRT that contains
a high vacuum, makes me consider that this may not be something that I would
be wanting to do. In the case of the CRT, if there is an antiglare coating,
buffing it will take out part of this coating in the area that is being
buffed..

The bottom line I would use, is that the set may be usable the way it is,
but since there is a scratch in the glass, you do not want the
responsibility to officially approve this as being safe.

The proper solution would be to change the tube, or change the set. In this
set, the CRT replacement including the labour, may cost as much as the set,
or maybe a bit more..

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"Lenny" wrote in message
om...
I made a service call yesterday at the request of a moving company.
They put a small (about 2") scratch in the upper left hand corner of
this customers 39" TV moving it. They wanted me to see if I could
"buff" it out. I told them probably not but they still wanted me to
look at it. It is hardly noticable and not at all with the set on. I
told the customer it wasn't dangerous as it is only surface and that I
would have the movers contact them, I would suspect to buy them off.
But then I got to wondering. Am I sticking my neck out passing
judgement on this? I really don't see how this could be a hazzard but
could it be? Are there guidelines on his sort of thing? Does anyone
have any further insight on this? Thanks. Lenny Stein, Barlen
Electronics