Baz

Interesting comment about the glass cutter. Some years ago I was breaking
up a 53cm trinitron to dump into my garbage tin. I was using a glass cutter
(scorer) and a short piece of water pipe for the percussive tool. Naturally
I stared with the gun and the neck and worked down from there. When I got
to the screen, with it face up, pounding on it with the pipe did nothing.
One score (I guess about 12" long) across the front changed all that. The
glass, about 20-25mm thick broke first tap (a rather hard one!) right along
the line. I was surprised just how much difference the score made.

I have also been on a guided tour of a tube re-build plant some 20 years
ago, and one of the things they did to a picture tube was to polish out any
small scratches on the screen just after "letting the vacuum out". The
guide stressed that it was only minor scratches they could do this with.

Regards
Barry

"Sofie" wrote in message
Lenny,
You are most likely correct regarding your diagnosis and prognosis......

and
if were my television I would have accepted that.....
HOWEVER, in this out of control law suit crazy society we live in, since

it
is no skin off of your back to report to them that the only way to
"properly" fix it is to replace the CRT and/or replace the television....

think that I may have done this instead of saying that there is no

problem.
Who knows, you might get the CRT replacement business on this one.
Remember that the glass is very thick in the front of the CRT, especially
near the corners.... so again I don't "think" there is any possible danger
of implosion or cracking...... the other thought that comes to me is that

glass cutter only has to score the glass in order to break it

cleanly.......
food for thought.
--
Best Regards,