Michael A. Covington

The CRT manufacturer would know for sure, and would almost certainly say to
replace it. Given that it involves both danger and liability, 99% safe
isn't safe enough.

"Sofie" wrote in message
Lenny,
You are most likely correct regarding your diagnosis and prognosis......
and
if were my television I would have accepted that.....
HOWEVER, in this out of control law suit crazy society we live in, since
it
is no skin off of your back to report to them that the only way to
"properly" fix it is to replace the CRT and/or replace the television....
think that I may have done this instead of saying that there is no
problem.
Who knows, you might get the CRT replacement business on this one.
Remember that the glass is very thick in the front of the CRT, especially
near the corners.... so again I don't "think" there is any possible danger
of implosion or cracking...... the other thought that comes to me is that
glass cutter only has to score the glass in order to break it
cleanly.......
food for thought.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Lenny" wrote in message
om...
I made a service call yesterday at the request of a moving company.
They put a small (about 2") scratch in the upper left hand corner of
this customers 39" TV moving it. They wanted me to see if I could
"buff" it out. I told them probably not but they still wanted me to
look at it. It is hardly noticable and not at all with the set on. I
told the customer it wasn't dangerous as it is only surface and that I
would have the movers contact them, I would suspect to buy them off.
But then I got to wondering. Am I sticking my neck out passing
judgement on this? I really don't see how this could be a hazzard but
could it be? Are there guidelines on his sort of thing? Does anyone
have any further insight on this? Thanks. Lenny Stein, Barlen
Electronics