Old November 7th 19, 12:33 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default stun gun acquisition and testing

Ok, this post is for all the people making a big fuss when I asked about
stun gun components. I got ahold of one this week called VIPERTEK
VTS-881, a small red unit with a claimed "35 billion" volts. This
design comes in many forms and is marketed by different firms with
Vipertek being only one.

First tests were spark gap distance. Just under 1/2". Spark gap is
adjustable and discharges really slow down/ stop at 1/2" or more. So,
what does that tell you about voltage? For one thing, no where near the
volts advertised.

Next tests were one me. Now keep in mind before you shout, if you are
in a country where they are illegal, then don't read the post and
certainly don't reply. If I get any heat from this report, you go into
the kill file immediately so I won't see any further posts. Where I am
in the US, they are LEGAL.

I first adjusted the spark gap for maximum distance, then tested myself
in six different spots: right arm, stomach, upper leg, side, foot, and
finally shoulder. Each spot was energized with electrodes pressed
against the skin for 2-4 seconds (there's no way this thing is going to
penetrate through most clothing, by the way). It took four tries before
I even began to feel much other than a tingle. Finally, pain increased
a bit in arm and shoulder. If I were to scale it, I would say 5/10 at
most. Would it have stopped me from attacking someone who used it one
me? No.

I don't know what all the fuss was about. It's clear that these are
being falsely marketed from the start and giving people a false sense of
security. I'd be more concerned over this then my irrelevant request
for substitute parts. Now, that being said, keep in mind that I am 6'
1" tall and 215 lbs and healthy. You still wouldn't want to use this on
the elderly or anyone with heart issues or a pacemaker, nor is everyone
else going to respond to the shocks the way I did. However, after the
apparent rukus I made with my prior post, I felt it was time to see just
how much relevancy there was behind it. Now it should be clear. Bye.

Old November 7th 19, 12:39 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 7/11/2019 7:33 am, TheExperimenter wrote:
[...]

Well there ya go !! feel better now?
Old November 7th 19, 12:41 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 11/6/19 6:39 PM, Rheilly Phoull wrote:
[...]

It just goes to show irrelevancy at its finest and how easy it often is
to defeat.

Old November 7th 19, 03:13 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 11/6/19 6:33 PM, TheExperimenter wrote:
[...]

Yo you ever tried dating girls or something to get a thrill? It's a
hobby less hazardous to your health...sometimes cheaper, too

Old November 7th 19, 03:16 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 11/6/19 9:13 PM, bitrex wrote:
[...]

Yes to the above, but it was necessary to make a point on unwarranted
behavior first.

Old November 7th 19, 05:50 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 2019-11-06, TheExperimenter wrote:
Ok, this post is for all the people making a big fuss when I asked about
stun gun components. I got ahold of one this week called VIPERTEK
VTS-881, a small red unit with a claimed "35 billion" volts. This
design comes in many forms and is marketed by different firms with
Vipertek being only one.

First tests were spark gap distance. Just under 1/2". Spark gap is
adjustable and discharges really slow down/ stop at 1/2" or more. So,
what does that tell you about voltage? For one thing, no where near the
volts advertised.

It's about 3000V/mm so ballpark 35kV

35GV would produce gamma rays.

Old November 7th 19, 06:14 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 2019-11-06, TheExperimenter wrote:
Ok, this post is for all the people making a big fuss when I asked about
stun gun components. I got ahold of one this week called VIPERTEK
VTS-881, a small red unit with a claimed "35 billion" volts. This
design comes in many forms and is marketed by different firms with
Vipertek being only one.

First tests were spark gap distance. Just under 1/2". Spark gap is
adjustable and discharges really slow down/ stop at 1/2" or more. So,
what does that tell you about voltage? For one thing, no where near the
volts advertised.

It's about 3000V/mm so ballpark 35kV

35GV would produce gamma rays.

The OP didn't have to tell us he was American it's entirely natural
process for an American to not at all believe what some engineers say
about it and have to shock themselves multiple times with a stun gun to
figure out that it doesn't actually produce 35 billion volts, and write
an angry letter to the mfgr that it didn't at all blast them straight
thru a wall when it was turned on. what a rip off.

I have some understanding of the psychology of my compatriots. /shrug

Old November 7th 19, 08:55 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 2019-11-06, TheExperimenter wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, such an angry letter would do no good since *many*
venders are selling these identical units under many different brand
names and models.

Well, before I tested it, I did some research. Information is available
online as to its true voltage and current, both of which were the
determining factors to test or not.

I have some understanding of the psychology of my compatriots. /shrug