Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
bitrex bitrex is offline

Default stun gun acquisition and testing

On 11/6/19 6:33 PM, TheExperimenter wrote:
Ok, this post is for all the people making a big fuss when I asked about
stun gun components.Â* I got ahold of one this week called VIPERTEK
VTS-881, a small red unit with a claimed "35 billion" volts.Â* This
design comes in many forms and is marketed by different firms with
Vipertek being only one.

First tests were spark gap distance.Â* Just under 1/2".Â* Spark gap is
adjustable and discharges really slow down/ stop at 1/2" or more.Â* So,
what does that tell you about voltage?Â* For one thing, no where near the
volts advertised.

Next tests were one me.Â* Now keep in mind before you shout, if you are
in a country where they are illegal, then don't read the post and
certainly don't reply.Â* If I get any heat from this report, you go into
the kill file immediately so I won't see any further posts.Â* Where I am
in the US, they are LEGAL.

I first adjusted the spark gap for maximum distance, then tested myself
in six different spots: right arm, stomach, upper leg, side, foot, and
finally shoulder.Â* Each spot was energized with electrodes pressed
against the skin for 2-4 seconds (there's no way this thing is going to
penetrate through most clothing, by the way).Â* It took four tries before
I even began to feel much other than a tingle.Â* Finally, pain increased
a bit in arm and shoulder.Â* If I were to scale it, I would say 5/10 at
most.Â* Would it have stopped me from attacking someone who used it one
me?Â* No.

I don't know what all the fuss was about.Â* It's clear that these are
being falsely marketed from the start and giving people a false sense of
security.Â* I'd be more concerned over this then my irrelevant request
for substitute parts.Â* Now, that being said, keep in mind that I am 6'
1" tall and 215 lbs and healthy.Â* You still wouldn't want to use this on
the elderly or anyone with heart issues or a pacemaker, nor is everyone
else going to respond to the shocks the way I did.Â* However, after the
apparent rukus I made with my prior post, I felt it was time to see just
how much relevancy there was behind it.Â* Now it should be clear.Â* Bye.

Yo you ever tried dating girls or something to get a thrill? It's a
hobby less hazardous to your health...sometimes cheaper, too