DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   stun gun acquisition and testing (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/641770-stun-gun-acquisition-testing.html)

TheExperimenter November 7th 19 12:33 AM

stun gun acquisition and testing

Ok, this post is for all the people making a big fuss when I asked about
stun gun components. I got ahold of one this week called VIPERTEK
VTS-881, a small red unit with a claimed "35 billion" volts. This
design comes in many forms and is marketed by different firms with
Vipertek being only one.

First tests were spark gap distance. Just under 1/2". Spark gap is
adjustable and discharges really slow down/ stop at 1/2" or more. So,
what does that tell you about voltage? For one thing, no where near the
volts advertised.

Next tests were one me. Now keep in mind before you shout, if you are
in a country where they are illegal, then don't read the post and
certainly don't reply. If I get any heat from this report, you go into
the kill file immediately so I won't see any further posts. Where I am
in the US, they are LEGAL.

I first adjusted the spark gap for maximum distance, then tested myself
in six different spots: right arm, stomach, upper leg, side, foot, and
finally shoulder. Each spot was energized with electrodes pressed
against the skin for 2-4 seconds (there's no way this thing is going to
penetrate through most clothing, by the way). It took four tries before
I even began to feel much other than a tingle. Finally, pain increased
a bit in arm and shoulder. If I were to scale it, I would say 5/10 at
most. Would it have stopped me from attacking someone who used it one
me? No.

I don't know what all the fuss was about. It's clear that these are
being falsely marketed from the start and giving people a false sense of
security. I'd be more concerned over this then my irrelevant request
for substitute parts. Now, that being said, keep in mind that I am 6'
1" tall and 215 lbs and healthy. You still wouldn't want to use this on
the elderly or anyone with heart issues or a pacemaker, nor is everyone
else going to respond to the shocks the way I did. However, after the
apparent rukus I made with my prior post, I felt it was time to see just
how much relevancy there was behind it. Now it should be clear. Bye.

Rheilly Phoull[_2_] November 7th 19 12:39 AM

On 7/11/2019 7:33 am, TheExperimenter wrote:
Ok, this post is for all the people making a big fuss when I asked about
stun gun components.Â* I got ahold of one this week called VIPERTEK
VTS-881, a small red unit with a claimed "35 billion" volts.Â* This
design comes in many forms and is marketed by different firms with
Vipertek being only one.

First tests were spark gap distance.Â* Just under 1/2".Â* Spark gap is
adjustable and discharges really slow down/ stop at 1/2" or more.Â* So,
what does that tell you about voltage?Â* For one thing, no where near the
volts advertised.

Next tests were one me.Â* Now keep in mind before you shout, if you are
in a country where they are illegal, then don't read the post and
certainly don't reply.Â* If I get any heat from this report, you go into
the kill file immediately so I won't see any further posts.Â* Where I am
in the US, they are LEGAL.

I first adjusted the spark gap for maximum distance, then tested myself
in six different spots: right arm, stomach, upper leg, side, foot, and
finally shoulder.Â* Each spot was energized with electrodes pressed
against the skin for 2-4 seconds (there's no way this thing is going to
penetrate through most clothing, by the way).Â* It took four tries before
I even began to feel much other than a tingle.Â* Finally, pain increased
a bit in arm and shoulder.Â* If I were to scale it, I would say 5/10 at
most.Â* Would it have stopped me from attacking someone who used it one
me?Â* No.

I don't know what all the fuss was about.Â* It's clear that these are
being falsely marketed from the start and giving people a false sense of
security.Â* I'd be more concerned over this then my irrelevant request
for substitute parts.Â* Now, that being said, keep in mind that I am 6'
1" tall and 215 lbs and healthy.Â* You still wouldn't want to use this on
the elderly or anyone with heart issues or a pacemaker, nor is everyone
else going to respond to the shocks the way I did.Â* However, after the
apparent rukus I made with my prior post, I felt it was time to see just
how much relevancy there was behind it.Â* Now it should be clear.Â* Bye.

Well there ya go !! feel better now?

TheExperimenter November 7th 19 12:41 AM

On 11/6/19 6:39 PM, Rheilly Phoull wrote:
On 7/11/2019 7:33 am, TheExperimenter wrote:
Ok, this post is for all the people making a big fuss when I asked
about stun gun components.Â* I got ahold of one this week called
VIPERTEK VTS-881, a small red unit with a claimed "35 billion" volts.
This design comes in many forms and is marketed by different firms
with Vipertek being only one.

First tests were spark gap distance.Â* Just under 1/2".Â* Spark gap is
adjustable and discharges really slow down/ stop at 1/2" or more.Â* So,
what does that tell you about voltage?Â* For one thing, no where near
the volts advertised.

Next tests were one me.Â* Now keep in mind before you shout, if you are
in a country where they are illegal, then don't read the post and
certainly don't reply.Â* If I get any heat from this report, you go
into the kill file immediately so I won't see any further posts.
Where I am in the US, they are LEGAL.

I first adjusted the spark gap for maximum distance, then tested
myself in six different spots: right arm, stomach, upper leg, side,
foot, and finally shoulder.Â* Each spot was energized with electrodes
pressed against the skin for 2-4 seconds (there's no way this thing is
going to penetrate through most clothing, by the way).Â* It took four
tries before I even began to feel much other than a tingle.Â* Finally,
pain increased a bit in arm and shoulder.Â* If I were to scale it, I
would say 5/10 at most.Â* Would it have stopped me from attacking
someone who used it one me?Â* No.

I don't know what all the fuss was about.Â* It's clear that these are
being falsely marketed from the start and giving people a false sense
of security.Â* I'd be more concerned over this then my irrelevant
request for substitute parts.Â* Now, that being said, keep in mind that
I am 6' 1" tall and 215 lbs and healthy.Â* You still wouldn't want to
use this on the elderly or anyone with heart issues or a pacemaker,
nor is everyone else going to respond to the shocks the way I did.
However, after the apparent rukus I made with my prior post, I felt it
was time to see just how much relevancy there was behind it.Â* Now it
should be clear.Â* Bye.

Well there ya go !! feel better now?

It just goes to show irrelevancy at its finest and how easy it often is
to defeat.

bitrex November 7th 19 03:13 AM

On 11/6/19 6:33 PM, TheExperimenter wrote:
[...]

Yo you ever tried dating girls or something to get a thrill? It's a
hobby less hazardous to your health...sometimes cheaper, too

TheExperimenter November 7th 19 03:16 AM

On 11/6/19 9:13 PM, bitrex wrote:
[...]

Yes to the above, but it was necessary to make a point on unwarranted
behavior first.

Ralph Mowery November 7th 19 05:19 AM

stun gun acquisition and testing

In article , says...

Ok, this post is for all the people making a big fuss when I asked about
stun gun components. I got ahold of one this week called VIPERTEK
VTS-881, a small red unit with a claimed "35 billion" volts. This
design comes in many forms and is marketed by different firms with
Vipertek being only one.

That 35 billion volts should be a tipoff the thing is a toy.

The 35 billion volts would probably throw an arc miles long.

Lightning is reported ot have from 100 million to 1 billion volts.

Tasers are only around 50,000 volts

Jasen Betts[_2_] November 7th 19 05:50 AM

On 2019-11-06, TheExperimenter wrote:
Ok, this post is for all the people making a big fuss when I asked about
stun gun components. I got ahold of one this week called VIPERTEK
VTS-881, a small red unit with a claimed "35 billion" volts. This
design comes in many forms and is marketed by different firms with
Vipertek being only one.

First tests were spark gap distance. Just under 1/2". Spark gap is
adjustable and discharges really slow down/ stop at 1/2" or more. So,
what does that tell you about voltage? For one thing, no where near the
volts advertised.

It's about 3000V/mm so ballpark 35kV

35GV would produce gamma rays.

bitrex November 7th 19 06:14 AM

On 2019-11-06, TheExperimenter wrote:
Ok, this post is for all the people making a big fuss when I asked about
stun gun components. I got ahold of one this week called VIPERTEK
VTS-881, a small red unit with a claimed "35 billion" volts. This
design comes in many forms and is marketed by different firms with
Vipertek being only one.

First tests were spark gap distance. Just under 1/2". Spark gap is
adjustable and discharges really slow down/ stop at 1/2" or more. So,
what does that tell you about voltage? For one thing, no where near the
volts advertised.

It's about 3000V/mm so ballpark 35kV

35GV would produce gamma rays.

The OP didn't have to tell us he was American it's entirely natural
process for an American to not at all believe what some engineers say
about it and have to shock themselves multiple times with a stun gun to
figure out that it doesn't actually produce 35 billion volts, and write
an angry letter to the mfgr that it didn't at all blast them straight
thru a wall when it was turned on. what a rip off.

I have some understanding of the psychology of my compatriots. /shrug

TheExperimenter November 7th 19 08:55 AM

On 2019-11-06, TheExperimenter wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, such an angry letter would do no good since *many*
venders are selling these identical units under many different brand
names and models.

Well, before I tested it, I did some research. Information is available
online as to its true voltage and current, both of which were the
determining factors to test or not.

I have some understanding of the psychology of my compatriots. /shrug

Martin Brown[_2_] November 7th 19 10:07 AM

On 06/11/2019 23:33, TheExperimenter wrote:
Ok, this post is for all the people making a big fuss when I asked about
stun gun components.Â* I got ahold of one this week called VIPERTEK
VTS-881, a small red unit with a claimed "35 billion" volts.Â* This
design comes in many forms and is marketed by different firms with
Vipertek being only one.

First tests were spark gap distance.Â* Just under 1/2".Â* Spark gap is
adjustable and discharges really slow down/ stop at 1/2" or more.Â* So,
what does that tell you about voltage?Â* For one thing, no where near the
volts advertised.

Depends a bit on air pressure and a lot on humidity but probably
somewhere between 10kV and 30kV if it will only jump half an inch.

http://highvoltageconnection.com/art...hen-curve.html

Could even be less if the electrodes are sharp and pointed.

These are real sparks and real men inside the chain mail suits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FpjcOWwiI4

(skip the first minute of dross)

This would stop your attacker but it isn't very portable.

[...]

Darwin award candidate.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

[email protected] November 7th 19 03:11 PM

stun gun acquisition and testing

Vos non potestis figere stultus.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Fox's Mercantile November 7th 19 03:37 PM

On 11/7/19 8:11 AM, wrote:
Vos non potestis figere stultus

Or as they say around here, "You can't fix stupid."

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Tim R[_2_] November 7th 19 04:47 PM

On Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 4:07:27 AM UTC-5, Martin Brown wrote:

These are real sparks and real men inside the chain mail suits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FpjcOWwiI4

(skip the first minute of dross)

This would stop your attacker but it isn't very portable.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed that video.

Why test on yourself? Just go on youtube and watch hundreds of videos of police tasering people. Most of the time they are not incapacitated, they just keep screaming "stop tasering me."

TheExperimenter November 7th 19 05:16 PM

On 11/7/19 10:47 AM, Tim R wrote:
On Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 4:07:27 AM UTC-5, Martin Brown wrote:

These are real sparks and real men inside the chain mail suits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FpjcOWwiI4

(skip the first minute of dross)

This would stop your attacker but it isn't very portable.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed that video.

Why test on yourself? Just go on youtube and watch hundreds of videos of police tasering people. Most of the time they are not incapacitated, they just keep screaming "stop tasering me."

2 reasons:

1) To prove that the devices being marketed to the public are *not* the
same devices the police are using (aka false advertising) and

2) To address all those here with unwarranted concern. There is
concern, but is not the concern that should have been addressed.

TheExperimenter November 7th 19 06:08 PM

On 11/7/19 4:07 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

I agree, it would. I've built Tesla coils in the past, nothing like the
ones they used there, but typical NST driven units. Nothing beyond 5"
sparks, but it was fun.

TheExperimenter November 7th 19 06:42 PM

On 2019-11-06, TheExperimenter wrote:
Ok, this post is for all the people making a big fuss when I asked about
stun gun components. I got ahold of one this week called VIPERTEK
VTS-881, a small red unit with a claimed "35 billion" volts. This
design comes in many forms and is marketed by different firms with
Vipertek being only one.

First tests were spark gap distance. Just under 1/2". Spark gap is
adjustable and discharges really slow down/ stop at 1/2" or more. So,
what does that tell you about voltage? For one thing, no where near the
volts advertised.

It's about 3000V/mm so ballpark 35kV

35GV would produce gamma rays.

Well, I think I stand corrected here because I didn't give the device
enough credit (thinking it was only about 20 kV). However, after
rechecking the spark gap distance and using the fomula (kV) = 76.2 x
spark length (in inches) with the spark gap being 3/8", that comes out
to 28.5 kV. From the tingles I experienced, I suspect the resistance of
the body greatly reduces that which is why the device isn't effective.

TheExperimenter November 7th 19 07:21 PM

stun gun acquisition and testing

On 11/6/19 11:19 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

Ok, this post is for all the people making a big fuss when I asked about
stun gun components. I got ahold of one this week called VIPERTEK
VTS-881, a small red unit with a claimed "35 billion" volts. This
design comes in many forms and is marketed by different firms with
Vipertek being only one.

That 35 billion volts should be a tipoff the thing is a toy.

The 35 billion volts would probably throw an arc miles long.

Lightning is reported ot have from 100 million to 1 billion volts.

Tasers are only around 50,000 volts

All of this is very true. I'm surprised they can get away with such
false advertising for years, but no one seems willing to do anything
about the dysfunctional phone system in the US either.

bitrex November 7th 19 08:02 PM

[...]

Put the thing in a different enclosure and it's a bedroom "toy" for the
"open minded" couple.

TheExperimenter November 7th 19 08:14 PM

http://tiny.cc/t8nwfz

John Doe[_4_] November 9th 19 05:38 AM

stun gun acquisition and testing

I agree, stun guns are silly.
You may as well carry a 9 V battery and ask them to stick out their
tongue.

Besides a real gun, I carry a Mace Pepper Gun. They say people who are
of a certain mental state can handle pepper spray. That may be true, but
most people cannot fight unless they can breath. Pepper spray is NASTY
stuff.