Old December 15th 18, 05:22 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default vision enhancement for close work

"That's because it's fixed lens. "

No, it is not. It is as elastic as it can be without falling out and will respond to your muscles, although not as well. If the lens were fixed you would have zero depth of focus in all but the brightest light when the iris is closed.

The lens is usually "pasted" to the inner surface of the lens capsule and sill respond but like that of course not as well. there have been a few improved designs tried with limited success. some have like a spring portion to enhance the effect of you muscles by moving the lens itself closer of farther away from the retina. My ophthalmologist(s) told me that these designs have been mostly abandoned now due to unreliability. What's more they can do nothing about presbyopia, "old eyes". this is when the muscles themselves have gone a bit stiff and are not as limber as they once were. In that case it owuld take some serious medical engineering to fix, and I would not o**** on it lasting. Cataract surgery is not an absolute.It is much better than it was when my Great Aunt died on the table having the procedure, but it can still result in an inoperable condition, or one which might result in blindness if corrective surgery is attempted.

My best recommendation is to get progressive lenses. They are used for normal people who become hyperopic due to presbyopia. Cataract operation or no cataract operation most have this condition. Even if the lens was a perfect replacement they would still have this problem.

Many insurance plans will pay for ONE pair of glasses after such surgery. Use it wisely. First of all buy a bunch of reading glasses at the store and use them, figure out which ones work and work them for about a year, or a bit less if you have a time window. They might not pay after two years. During that time figure out your needs and when you get them paid for by insurance get the progressives.

Personally I have 20/20 now for distance, but can't see the hand in front of my face. So I need progressives from zero to about +4.00 diopters. Right now I am getting by on a pair of beat up maybe 2.25s, I GUESS, and 3.25s. I will be buying a pair of +1.00s soon. I will wait until I get to that store where they are a buck. Hell if I need three of them I am not really hep to paying big bucks for them.

That comes when the progressives come.

Anyway, personally I am a bit reluctant to even get the progressives because I need two vitrectomies. What the hell happens to my vision (if any) then ? And that doesn't even address my retinal problems with dark and light. I thought the cataract was causing it, and now I think maybe the vitreous is is causing it but now I know of people, my Mother actually, who have actual retinal problems that simply are not going to respond to anything. If that is hereditary I am totally ****ed in maybe ten years.

So I have looked into it. If you can get a pair of glasses every year go get them now. If not, well how long has it been ? After six months your results should be good enough, but the longer you await the better. If you get them free every year who cares ?
Old December 15th 18, 12:00 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 14/12/2018 22:55, Tim R wrote:
I've just entered the "post cataract surgery" world.

Results were good for distance vision. I can't bring anything close to see anymore, focusing just doesn't work.

I don't do a lot of precision work like you all do, but right now threading a needle would be impossible. Reading glasses and a large monitor let me type, but I can't get smaller yet.

Before I had it done I was researching digital microscopes, but now I realize it doesn't matter how big something is on a screen if I can't focus on the screen.

How have you solved this? Some of you must be up around my age, perhaps even past it g

Could you use a video projector to project the USB microscope image on a
distant screen with 100 inch diagonal or whatever is optimal
Old December 15th 18, 03:05 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/14/2018 4:55 PM, Tim R wrote:
I've just entered the "post cataract surgery" world.

Results were good for distance vision. I can't bring anything close to see anymore, focusing just doesn't work.

I don't do a lot of precision work like you all do, but right now threading a needle would be impossible. Reading glasses and a large monitor let me type, but I can't get smaller yet.

Before I had it done I was researching digital microscopes, but now I realize it doesn't matter how big something is on a screen if I can't focus on the screen.

How have you solved this? Some of you must be up around my age, perhaps even past it g

I have bifocals. The main lens has almost no correction,
(the surgeon got the new lens almost right.) but
the bifocal part is set right for reading. Then I have several
pairs of drug store reading glasses for other uses. Since my
computer screen is further than reading distance I have a pair
for that. I have large personal library and find that I can
see better when scanning the shelves with still another pair.

For close work I have a pair of 10X binocular magnifiers.
That is good for checking fine print.

Bill
Old December 15th 18, 03:25 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

Of course, you can get prescription lasses from your optician.

I wish I had known about that when I was in there a few days ago.
Whether I could cope with such a lass is a different matter...

Mike.

Old December 15th 18, 04:41 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 6:25:17 AM UTC-8, Mike Coon wrote:
I wish I had known about that when I was in there a few days ago.
Whether I could cope with such a lass is a different matter...

Mike.

Most neerds suffer from lassiephobia, and benefit from the assistance of a trained professional.
Old December 15th 18, 06:16 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks. Wow, Mr. Rossman seems knowledgeable, but it takes him a VERY long time to get to the point of anything.
Old December 15th 18, 07:06 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 14:55:03 -0800 (PST), Tim R
wrote:

I've just entered the "post cataract surgery" world.
Results were good for distance vision. I can't bring anything
close to see anymore, focusing just doesn't work.

So it is written, so it seems to be:

"Will I Need Glasses After Cataract Surgery?"
https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/faq-cataract-glasses-after-surgery.htm
If you choose standard cataract surgery with intraocular
lens (IOL) implantation, it's likely you will need reading
glasses and possibly computer glasses or other special-purpose
eyewear afterward, depending on your visual needs.

Offhand, it appears that you had both eyes adjusted for distance
vision, which I suspect is responsible for the current problem:

"Should I choose distance vision in both eyes, monovision, EDOFs or
multifocals?"
https://www.healio.com/ophthalmology/optics/news/print/ocular-surgery-news/%7B92ba3ce8-179f-447e-ab48-ee7729d0db76%7D/should-i-choose-distance-vision-in-both-eyes-monovision-edofs-or-multifocals

I don't do a lot of precision work like you all do, but
right now threading a needle would be impossible. Reading
glasses and a large monitor let me type, but I can't get
smaller yet.

Methinks you should see an optometrist and have your eyes tested. Once
you have a prescription, order a pair of the cheapest glasses you can
find from Zenni Optical:
https://www.zennioptical.com
They will probably help, but the real questions is whether you can
live with single vision glasses for reading and close in work, or if
you'll need bifocal, trifocal, or progressive lenses. There is also a
question whether conventional plastic lenses will work, or if you'll
need high index of refraction lenses.
https://www.eyeglasses.com/high-index-lenses.html

Before I had it done I was researching digital microscopes, but now
I realize it doesn't matter how big something is on a screen if I
can't focus on the screen.

Yep. A big blurrr is just as difficult to read as a small blurrrrr.

How have you solved this? Some of you must be up around my age,
perhaps even past it g

I'm 70 years old and seem to have progressive astigmatism, which means
my prescription changes sufficiently to require new glasses every
year. Right now, I see double without correction. I did some trial
and error testing using cheap glasses from Zenni Optical, which proved
to be far better and cheaper than trial an error at the opticians
store.

At this time, I have some trouble seeing clearly through binocular
microscope eyepieces with or without glasses. I can make it work, but
there's some eyestrain after about 10 mins. What works best for me is
a microscope camera and LCD display screen using my "computer glasses"
at a fixed distance. I suspect that you'll find that the big blurrr
will look much better with corrective glasses.

Good luck, and do some experimenting.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old December 15th 18, 08:32 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

You could try a frontal binocular for instance :
https://www.loupeboutique.fr/Loupes-...es----DEL.html
..
It magic, I have one.

Or a desktop viewer (I have one too) like :
http://www.moineau-instruments.com/l...-2810-2ve.html

These are French products ; you surely can find equivalent nearby.

Tim R a √©crit¬*:

Old December 15th 18, 08:44 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/14/2018 12:55 PM, Tim R wrote:
I've just entered the "post cataract surgery" world.

Results were good for distance vision. I can't bring anything close to see anymore, focusing just doesn't work.

I don't do a lot of precision work like you all do, but right now threading a needle would be impossible. Reading glasses and a large monitor let me type, but I can't get smaller yet.

Before I had it done I was researching digital microscopes, but now I realize it doesn't matter how big something is on a screen if I can't focus on the screen.

How have you solved this? Some of you must be up around my age, perhaps even past it g

I agree that Zenni is a good choice.
The mistake many people make is not taking the time to select the
properly sized frame online. If you have a comfortable pair of glasses,
note all the measurements carefully [frame width, lens size, temple arm,
bridge] and be sure that what you order online closely approximates each
of those measurements.

---