Old December 14th 18, 11:55 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default vision enhancement for close work

I've just entered the "post cataract surgery" world.

Results were good for distance vision. I can't bring anything close to see anymore, focusing just doesn't work.

I don't do a lot of precision work like you all do, but right now threading a needle would be impossible. Reading glasses and a large monitor let me type, but I can't get smaller yet.

Before I had it done I was researching digital microscopes, but now I realize it doesn't matter how big something is on a screen if I can't focus on the screen.

How have you solved this? Some of you must be up around my age, perhaps even past it g

Old December 15th 18, 12:33 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 14:55:03 -0800, Tim R wrote:

How have you solved this? Some of you must be up around my age, perhaps
even past it g

I just avoid any PCBs with SMDs! Surface mount stuff is way beyond me I'm
afraid. Fortunately I'm only a hobbyist so it matters very little.

Old December 15th 18, 01:05 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

You can get reading glasses to +3.5 diopters at your favorite drug store or dollar store. If that is not strong enough, you can get clip-on readers from Daiso (US$1.50 from the store or about US5 from eBay). This will get you to +7 diopters, which should be strong enough.

I have seen +5.0 available at Daiso stores outside the US.

Of course, you can get prescription lasses from your optician. These can be exactly matched to your pupillary distance and any abnormalities you need to have corrected. My optician charges extra for lenses stronger than +3.0.
Old December 15th 18, 01:30 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 5:55:05 PM UTC-5, Tim R wrote:
I've just entered the "post cataract surgery" world.

Results were good for distance vision. I can't bring anything close to see anymore, focusing just doesn't work.

I don't do a lot of precision work like you all do, but right now threading a needle would be impossible. Reading glasses and a large monitor let me type, but I can't get smaller yet.

Before I had it done I was researching digital microscopes, but now I realize it doesn't matter how big something is on a screen if I can't focus on the screen.

How have you solved this? Some of you must be up around my age, perhaps even past it g

Not an answer but I thought modern cataract surgery implanted a corrective lens. My 80 year old mom didn't even need glasses anymore (except for reading) when she had hers done.
Old December 15th 18, 01:53 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/14/2018 7:30 PM, John-Del wrote:
On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 5:55:05 PM UTC-5, Tim R wrote:
I've just entered the "post cataract surgery" world.

Results were good for distance vision. I can't bring anything close to see anymore, focusing just doesn't work.

I don't do a lot of precision work like you all do, but right now threading a needle would be impossible. Reading glasses and a large monitor let me type, but I can't get smaller yet.

Before I had it done I was researching digital microscopes, but now I realize it doesn't matter how big something is on a screen if I can't focus on the screen.

How have you solved this? Some of you must be up around my age, perhaps even past it g

Not an answer but I thought modern cataract surgery implanted a corrective lens. My 80 year old mom didn't even need glasses anymore (except for reading) when she had hers done.

Had the surgery about two years ago. Don't need glasses anymore even to
read. ( Except for medicine bottles and lawyer print.)

Old December 15th 18, 01:56 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/14/18 6:30 PM, John-Del wrote:
Not an answer but I thought modern cataract surgery implanted
a corrective lens.

That's exactly what they do.

My 80 year old mom didn't even need glasses anymore (except
for reading) when she had hers done.

That's because it's fixed lens.
Typically, you get 20/20 vision for everything from 24" away
from your face outward.
But because it's a fixed lens, you need reading glasses for
anything closer than 24"

I had cataract surgery in my right eye last August. All I can
say about that is "Oh **** me, I can see again." But I need to
wear reading glasses for the computer and, well, reading. This
Includes working on the bench.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Old December 15th 18, 02:54 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

I started SMD around 64 and am 67 now. With the microscope similar to
what every one uses, the SMD is really very easy to work with. Once the
trouble is found or a modification is desired, I would rather work with
that than the through hole or even the old tube circuits. I only do the
board work as a hobby. Takes about $ 300 to $ 400 to get the tools to
work with and the microscope is over half that.

Thanks. Are we talking an optical microscope, or something digital? Any recommendation?

I've tried binoculars since the surgery, and they work very well, much better than before.

This seems to be the best for the money. It is what I bought. It is
an optical stereo microscope. The bottom lense is about 8 to 10 inches
above the work.

https://www.amscope.com/10x-20x-led-...croscope-boom-
arm-with-gooseneck-light.html

Look around the internet for the best price. If you can stand his
mouth, look on Youtube for Louis Rossman and some of his talks about
this scope and other tools.

You can get an inexpensive hor air rework station for around $ 60. Has
a fine tip soldering iron and hot air waund. Not the best quality,but
for the pirce and hobby work it is acceptable. Good one are around $
300 and up. Learn how to use the hot air tool and you will be glad you
did. Good for many things besides the SMD. Say like a 10 pin daughter
board soldered to the motherboard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/862D-2in1-S...ot-Air-Rework-
Station-Desoldering-Repair-110V/382665136314?epid=12025882815
&hash=item59189e98ba:g:PvgAAOSw64ha87EG

Forget all the inexpensive digital crap. I have not tried the high end
ones like a Mantis, so can not comment on those, but can not afford one
either.

Old December 15th 18, 04:33 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/14/18 5:55 PM, Tim R wrote:
I've just entered the "post cataract surgery" world.

Results were good for distance vision. I can't bring anything close to see anymore, focusing just doesn't work.

I don't do a lot of precision work like you all do, but right now threading a needle would be impossible. Reading glasses and a large monitor let me type, but I can't get smaller yet.

Before I had it done I was researching digital microscopes, but now I realize it doesn't matter how big something is on a screen if I can't focus on the screen.

How have you solved this? Some of you must be up around my age, perhaps even past it g

Bifocals from Zenni Optical. Super cheap, and IME good quality.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs