Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bitrex bitrex is offline

Default vision enhancement for close work

On 12/15/2018 09:40 PM, mike wrote:
On 12/15/2018 5:30 PM, bitrex wrote:
On 12/14/2018 08:08 PM, Tim R wrote:
On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 7:57:29 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

I just avoid any PCBs with SMDs! Surface mount stuff is way beyond
me I'm
afraid. Fortunately I'm only a hobbyist so it matters very little.

I started SMD around 64 and am 67 now.Â* With the microscopeÂ* similar to
what every one uses, the SMD is really very easy to work with.Â* Once
the
trouble is found or a modification is desired, I would rather work with
that than the through hole or even the old tube circuits.Â* I only do
the
board work as a hobby.Â* Takes about $ 300 to $ 400 to get the tools to
work with and the microscope is over half that.

Thanks.Â* Are we talking an optical microscope, or something digital?
Any recommendation?

I've tried binoculars since the surgery, and they work very well,
much better than before.

Modern smartphone with the rear camera and LED turned on, "magnifying
glass" app, gripped in a pair of QuadHands is an expedient "low tech"
solution that's not half bad at all!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4b2on7yy1n9u14/Photo%20Dec%2008%2C%202%2019%2007%20PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.amazon.com/QuadHands-Helping-Hands-Third-Soldering/dp/B00GIKVP5K

How long did it take for your brain to fixup the hand-eye coordination?
I tried a similar solution and could never get my hands to go where my
vision wanted them to go.

Hi, sorry for the delay in my reply. Probably related to my experience
in Missile Command, After Burner 2, Outrun, Sonic The Hedgehog, Super
Mario Brothers, etc. 1983 - 1995