Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default vision enhancement for close work

"That's because it's fixed lens. "

No, it is not. It is as elastic as it can be without falling out and will respond to your muscles, although not as well. If the lens were fixed you would have zero depth of focus in all but the brightest light when the iris is closed.

The lens is usually "pasted" to the inner surface of the lens capsule and sill respond but like that of course not as well. there have been a few improved designs tried with limited success. some have like a spring portion to enhance the effect of you muscles by moving the lens itself closer of farther away from the retina. My ophthalmologist(s) told me that these designs have been mostly abandoned now due to unreliability. What's more they can do nothing about presbyopia, "old eyes". this is when the muscles themselves have gone a bit stiff and are not as limber as they once were. In that case it owuld take some serious medical engineering to fix, and I would not o**** on it lasting. Cataract surgery is not an absolute.It is much better than it was when my Great Aunt died on the table having the procedure, but it can still result in an inoperable condition, or one which might result in blindness if corrective surgery is attempted.

My best recommendation is to get progressive lenses. They are used for normal people who become hyperopic due to presbyopia. Cataract operation or no cataract operation most have this condition. Even if the lens was a perfect replacement they would still have this problem.

Many insurance plans will pay for ONE pair of glasses after such surgery. Use it wisely. First of all buy a bunch of reading glasses at the store and use them, figure out which ones work and work them for about a year, or a bit less if you have a time window. They might not pay after two years. During that time figure out your needs and when you get them paid for by insurance get the progressives.

Personally I have 20/20 now for distance, but can't see the hand in front of my face. So I need progressives from zero to about +4.00 diopters. Right now I am getting by on a pair of beat up maybe 2.25s, I GUESS, and 3.25s. I will be buying a pair of +1.00s soon. I will wait until I get to that store where they are a buck. Hell if I need three of them I am not really hep to paying big bucks for them.

That comes when the progressives come.

Anyway, personally I am a bit reluctant to even get the progressives because I need two vitrectomies. What the hell happens to my vision (if any) then ? And that doesn't even address my retinal problems with dark and light. I thought the cataract was causing it, and now I think maybe the vitreous is is causing it but now I know of people, my Mother actually, who have actual retinal problems that simply are not going to respond to anything. If that is hereditary I am totally ****ed in maybe ten years.

So I have looked into it. If you can get a pair of glasses every year go get them now. If not, well how long has it been ? After six months your results should be good enough, but the longer you await the better. If you get them free every year who cares ?