Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default vision enhancement for close work

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 14:55:03 -0800 (PST), Tim R
wrote:

I've just entered the "post cataract surgery" world.
Results were good for distance vision. I can't bring anything
close to see anymore, focusing just doesn't work.

So it is written, so it seems to be:

"Will I Need Glasses After Cataract Surgery?"
https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/faq-cataract-glasses-after-surgery.htm
If you choose standard cataract surgery with intraocular
lens (IOL) implantation, it's likely you will need reading
glasses and possibly computer glasses or other special-purpose
eyewear afterward, depending on your visual needs.

Offhand, it appears that you had both eyes adjusted for distance
vision, which I suspect is responsible for the current problem:

"Should I choose distance vision in both eyes, monovision, EDOFs or
multifocals?"
https://www.healio.com/ophthalmology/optics/news/print/ocular-surgery-news/%7B92ba3ce8-179f-447e-ab48-ee7729d0db76%7D/should-i-choose-distance-vision-in-both-eyes-monovision-edofs-or-multifocals

I don't do a lot of precision work like you all do, but
right now threading a needle would be impossible. Reading
glasses and a large monitor let me type, but I can't get
smaller yet.

Methinks you should see an optometrist and have your eyes tested. Once
you have a prescription, order a pair of the cheapest glasses you can
find from Zenni Optical:
https://www.zennioptical.com
They will probably help, but the real questions is whether you can
live with single vision glasses for reading and close in work, or if
you'll need bifocal, trifocal, or progressive lenses. There is also a
question whether conventional plastic lenses will work, or if you'll
need high index of refraction lenses.
https://www.eyeglasses.com/high-index-lenses.html

Before I had it done I was researching digital microscopes, but now
I realize it doesn't matter how big something is on a screen if I
can't focus on the screen.

Yep. A big blurrr is just as difficult to read as a small blurrrrr.

How have you solved this? Some of you must be up around my age,
perhaps even past it g

I'm 70 years old and seem to have progressive astigmatism, which means
my prescription changes sufficiently to require new glasses every
year. Right now, I see double without correction. I did some trial
and error testing using cheap glasses from Zenni Optical, which proved
to be far better and cheaper than trial an error at the opticians
store.

At this time, I have some trouble seeing clearly through binocular
microscope eyepieces with or without glasses. I can make it work, but
there's some eyestrain after about 10 mins. What works best for me is
a microscope camera and LCD display screen using my "computer glasses"
at a fixed distance. I suspect that you'll find that the big blurrr
will look much better with corrective glasses.

Good luck, and do some experimenting.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D