Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Samsung S5 earphonr jack

the S5 female was bent out by the dealer. Is there an insert or DIY fix for too large females ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

https://goo.gl/kDK0d3

There's a group of 'schematics'

Serious work fir 2 channels but mono's OK ...not sure if S5 delivers mono.

There is the problem of a silicone sheath ground 'wire' in there ? If so heating the tip burns off the Si prob crimped in...is this correct ?

How about an AL or copper rectangle placed into the female n secured via a bend n run on the case ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 23:40:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

https://goo.gl/kDK0d3
There's a group of 'schematics'

Try one of these pin diagrams instead:
https://www.google.com/search?q=samsung+headset+connector+wiring&tbm=isch
This looks right:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/invinciblegod/TRRSConnector3-1.png
It's a TRRS (Tip-Ring1-Ring2-Sleeve) connector.

Serious work fir 2 channels but mono's OK ...not sure if S5 delivers mono.

Nope. It's stereo on the Tip (right channel) and Ring1 (left
channel).

There is the problem of a silicone sheath ground 'wire' in there ?
If so heating the tip burns off the Si prob crimped in...is this correct ?

That would destroy the connector. Soldering to the contacts works
better than burning up the insulators with the soldering iron.

How about an AL or copper rectangle placed into the female n
secured via a bend n run on the case ?

You'll never get it into the hole in the jack unless you have a
microscope and are very good with a micro-manipulator. It also won't
stay in place as any glue used to hold the copper in place will get
hot, melt the glue, and cause the copper to fall off. You could
take apart the S5 and fix the jack, but that's difficult because it's
too well sealed.

You can buy a replacement headset connector for about $10.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Headset-Jack-Audio-Port-Connector-Verizon-G900V-AT-T-G900A-/301713329596
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/Galaxy-S5-Headphone-Jack/IF236-012-1
I think this would be your best option. Disassembly instructions:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Samsung_Galaxy_S5
Try really hard not to screw up the phone.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The female is too wide. Before posting I expected an AL foil fix n your post traveled into a shim ...

Why, had you soldered n not tried a shim
?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 23:40:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

https://goo.gl/kDK0d3
There's a group of 'schematics'

Try one of these pin diagrams instead:
https://www.google.com/search?q=samsung+headset+connector+wiring&tbm=isch
This looks right:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/invinciblegod/TRRSConnector3-1.png
It's a TRRS (Tip-Ring1-Ring2-Sleeve) connector.

Serious work fir 2 channels but mono's OK ...not sure if S5 delivers mono.

Nope. It's stereo on the Tip (right channel) and Ring1 (left
channel).

When I read that, my memory started yelling RED! RIGHT! RING!.

So I checked: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 20:12:07 -0700, isw wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 23:40:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

https://goo.gl/kDK0d3
There's a group of 'schematics'

Try one of these pin diagrams instead:
https://www.google.com/search?q=samsung+headset+connector+wiring&tbm=isch
This looks right:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/invinciblegod/TRRSConnector3-1.png
It's a TRRS (Tip-Ring1-Ring2-Sleeve) connector.

Serious work fir 2 channels but mono's OK ...not sure if S5 delivers mono.

Nope. It's stereo on the Tip (right channel) and Ring1 (left
channel).

When I read that, my memory started yelling RED! RIGHT! RING!.
So I checked: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)
Isaac

Yeah, something like that. Red is right and Green is left are
somewhat consistent among the headset, earphone, and microphone
connections. However, everything else, including ground, is insane.
http://www.circuitbasics.com/how-to-hack-a-headphone-jack/
I find myself using an ohms-guesser to check the connections just in
case someone decided to be creative.

Standards are a good thing. Every company should have one.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tried further enlargement of the female allowing an effective connection fit with the shim ?

Held one of the female units ? How does the metal expand in the casing ? Or how was that done ?

Looking for a mechanical solution.

Your soldering skills are beyond what I can forsee ....

Tho if mono works language ...no music...

Then on the ground area is the necessary connection M-F

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

[...]

I have found a number of (cheap, imported) cables that connect red to
tip -- the wiring is proper, just the colors are not.

Isaac

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigational_aid

Hey Jack! Leon[_7_] Woodworking 3 April 17th 12 06:03 PM
Looking to trade my Samsung 46" LED HDTV for a Samsung 40" LEDHDTV. Keith D. Lee[_2_] Electronics Repair 0 July 29th 11 11:45 PM
Adding a phone jack ..Jack.. [email protected] Home Repair 10 June 22nd 08 08:14 PM
Samsung part BN41-00001A for Samsung 520TFT Syncmaster monitor [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 February 5th 08 05:01 PM
new tel jack with dsl Barry Home Repair 12 November 8th 04 12:53 AM