Terry Pinnell

Default Is my freezer too warm?

After getting some help here in October, I defrosted my Hotpoint 8571,
combination fridge freezer (messy business) and all seemed well.
Temperature of the freezer section was -25C.

I noticed over weekend that it seemed less cold. Ice cream no longer
took hammer and chisel to extract. Measured today as -17C. Is that
unacceptably high please?

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

John Popelish

Terry Pinnell wrote:

After getting some help here in October, I defrosted my Hotpoint 8571,
combination fridge freezer (messy business) and all seemed well.
Temperature of the freezer section was -25C.

I noticed over weekend that it seemed less cold. Ice cream no longer
took hammer and chisel to extract. Measured today as -17C. Is that
unacceptably high please?

Not by much.
http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/Environmental...dards/fsp1.pdf
http://www.wvu.edu/~exten/infores/pu...ubs/136.wl.pdf
--
John Popelish
Jerry G.

The temperature of an average true freezer with the door closed for 24 hours
should average about -15 to about -17 deg Cels. The peak high and low
should reach to about -12 to about -22 on the average. The best stability is
with the door closed for over 48 hours. Some models may be a bit colder.
There are some industrial deep freezers that can work down to the -30's Cels
and even colder.

These figures will vary depending mainly on the manufactures
specificications, ventilation around the freezer, and the room temperature
where the freezer is located.

For test measurements, it is best to install a remote temperature sensing
unit with the probe located in the unit in a manner where there is no thermo
leakage, and the readings can be taken without opening the door. It is
possible to install a temperature reading kit in to most any fridge or
freezer. These are handy for monitoring their performance. Locate the
probe in a manner where it will not have any interference, and will take an
average reading of the area where it is located. The sensitive part of the
sensing probe itself must not rest on any elements, walls, or grills.

Having more mass in the freezer, such as a lot of frozen meats, frozen water
(containers of solid ice), or even some heavy freezer gel packs will add to
the stability and a better temperature averaging.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
After getting some help here in October, I defrosted my Hotpoint 8571,
combination fridge freezer (messy business) and all seemed well.
Temperature of the freezer section was -25C.

I noticed over weekend that it seemed less cold. Ice cream no longer
took hammer and chisel to extract. Measured today as -17C. Is that
unacceptably high please?

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Terry Pinnell

John Popelish wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

After getting some help here in October, I defrosted my Hotpoint 8571,
combination fridge freezer (messy business) and all seemed well.
Temperature of the freezer section was -25C.

I noticed over weekend that it seemed less cold. Ice cream no longer
took hammer and chisel to extract. Measured today as -17C. Is that
unacceptably high please?

Not by much.
http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/Environmental...dards/fsp1.pdf
http://www.wvu.edu/~exten/infores/pu...ubs/136.wl.pdf

Thanks both. Looks like I have no worries on that score then.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Sofie

Terry Pinnell:
It sounds to me that your freezer is just fine and is working OK.......
....according to my GE troubleshooting manual...... freezer temperatures
between (-)13 C and (-) 23 C are to be expected...... and may vary outside
that range during the entire thermostat and refrigeration cycle. Anything
below. Your (-)17C measurement sounds just about right for an average
temperature.
(-) 23 C may be difficult to achieve with some freezers. If you want your
ice cream harder, put it near one of the bottom shelves toward the back.
Be certain to check the magnetic door seals for wear and damage and keep
them clean and also keep the area clean where they mate on the cabinet when
the door is closed.
Usually (-) 17.75 C or Zero F is the arbitrary standard for stand-alone
freezers...... refrigerator/freezer combination units may perform better or
worse than the above numbers depending on a lot of factors.
In your effort to make the freezer section colder be very careful that the
refrigerator section does not get too cold during the entire refrigeration
thermostat cycle.... usually never below 1.0 to 1.5 C or 33 to 35 F.....
remember, the bottom shelves may get colder than the top shelves. You don't
want to freeze your vegetables in the bottom bin.
Again.... it sounds like your freezer is operating OK..... if it is not
broken, don't fix it.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
After getting some help here in October, I defrosted my Hotpoint 8571,
combination fridge freezer (messy business) and all seemed well.
Temperature of the freezer section was -25C.

I noticed over weekend that it seemed less cold. Ice cream no longer
took hammer and chisel to extract. Measured today as -17C. Is that
unacceptably high please?

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Terry Pinnell

"Sofie" wrote:

[...]

Many thanks, Daniel.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Terry Pinnell wrote:

After getting some help here in October, I defrosted my Hotpoint 8571,
combination fridge freezer (messy business) and all seemed well.
Temperature of the freezer section was -25C.

I noticed over weekend that it seemed less cold. Ice cream no longer
took hammer and chisel to extract. Measured today as -17C. Is that
unacceptably high please?

As some others have stated, -17C is within a normal range. I'd worry
more about why it was reading -25C to begin with.

--
Paul Hovnanian
note to spammers: a Washington State resident
Asimov

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." bravely wrote to "All" (22 Jan 04 15:05:06)
--- on the heady topic of " Is my freezer too warm?"

PHP From: "Paul Hovnanian P.E."

PHP As some others have stated, -17C is within a normal range. I'd worry
PHP more about why it was reading -25C to begin with.

It could be the difference between taking the temperature reading with
a fully loaded freezer and a completely empty one. It would take a lot
of time to get a large mass to -25C (if ever) rather than empty air.
A tip is to arrange the items around the walls so that there is an air
space in the center of the freezer. This helps make it even colder.

.... Over a hundred billion electrons were used in crafting this tagline.

Asimov

"Jerry G." bravely wrote to "All" (22 Jan 04 09:54:56)
--- on the heady topic of " Is my freezer too warm?"

JG From: "Jerry G."
JG The temperature of an average true freezer with the door closed for 24
JG hours should average about -15 to about -17 deg Cels. The peak high
JG and low should reach to about -12 to about -22 on the average. The best
JG stability is with the door closed for over 48 hours. Some models may be
JG a bit colder. There are some industrial deep freezers that can work
JG down to the -30's Cels and even colder.

When I was in high school I worked weekends in a large food store and
they stored their frozen turkeys at -55F. When stock had to be rotated
we were to have a 2 person team, one to stay outside and the other
inside. We weren't allowed to stay in longer than 5 minutes, to avoid
frostbite, basically it hurt just to breathe. So we bundled up extra
cozy with 2 overcoats, hat gloves, etc... Just imagine some crazy kid
might go in there to blow a joint, the door getting stuck, and them
coming out a stone cold block of ice. I think only the South Pole was
colder than this.

.... Over a hundred billion electrons were used in crafting this tagline.