Jerry G.

Default Is my freezer too warm?

The temperature of an average true freezer with the door closed for 24 hours
should average about -15 to about -17 deg Cels. The peak high and low
should reach to about -12 to about -22 on the average. The best stability is
with the door closed for over 48 hours. Some models may be a bit colder.
There are some industrial deep freezers that can work down to the -30's Cels
and even colder.

These figures will vary depending mainly on the manufactures
specificications, ventilation around the freezer, and the room temperature
where the freezer is located.

For test measurements, it is best to install a remote temperature sensing
unit with the probe located in the unit in a manner where there is no thermo
leakage, and the readings can be taken without opening the door. It is
possible to install a temperature reading kit in to most any fridge or
freezer. These are handy for monitoring their performance. Locate the
probe in a manner where it will not have any interference, and will take an
average reading of the area where it is located. The sensitive part of the
sensing probe itself must not rest on any elements, walls, or grills.

Having more mass in the freezer, such as a lot of frozen meats, frozen water
(containers of solid ice), or even some heavy freezer gel packs will add to
the stability and a better temperature averaging.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
After getting some help here in October, I defrosted my Hotpoint 8571,
combination fridge freezer (messy business) and all seemed well.
Temperature of the freezer section was -25C.

I noticed over weekend that it seemed less cold. Ice cream no longer
took hammer and chisel to extract. Measured today as -17C. Is that
unacceptably high please?

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK