Bob Parker

Default Ready-built ESR meter- I need *your* opinion on price.

G'day,
A good friend of mine in Europe is planning to manufacture and sell
an improved version of the ESR meter I designed. Problem is, he's not
sure how much it should sell for.
I've got a photo, some details of it and what I think is a good
price at http://bob.parker.web1000.com/euroesr.htm
Could you please take a look and give me your valuable comments?
Thanks! :-)

Cheers,
Bob

Hate spam? Go to http://www.bluebottle.com (It's free)
Sam Goldwasser

Bob Parker writes:

G'day,
A good friend of mine in Europe is planning to manufacture and sell
an improved version of the ESR meter I designed. Problem is, he's not
sure how much it should sell for.
I've got a photo, some details of it and what I think is a good
price at http://bob.parker.web1000.com/euroesr.htm
Could you please take a look and give me your valuable comments?
Thanks! :-)

But I thought yours was perfect.

What's different besides the much cooler case and better test leads?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Tweetldee

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Bob Parker writes:

G'day,
A good friend of mine in Europe is planning to manufacture and sell
an improved version of the ESR meter I designed. Problem is, he's not
sure how much it should sell for.
I've got a photo, some details of it and what I think is a good
price at http://bob.parker.web1000.com/euroesr.htm
Could you please take a look and give me your valuable comments?
Thanks! :-)

But I thought yours was perfect.

What's different besides the much cooler case and better test leads?

Hi Bob,
I think your suggested price , BUILT and CALIBRATED!!! of $80 USD is
fantastic. Considering that the best price that I have seen for the current
built and tested version of the DS ESR meter is around $99 USD. And it
doesn't have the input protection and the nice test leads!!
If I didn't already have one of the current version, I'd certainly buy one.
That is, unless the new version were to be offered in kit form too.

Cheers,
--
Tweetldee
Tweetldee at att dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in the

Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.

BJohnson

I have both the Capacitor Wizard and the CapAnalyzer 88A and paid $180
for each..... Based on that, I would say you price is very
reasonable.... Good Luck...... Bill

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:03:43 +1000, Bob Parker
wrote:

G'day,
A good friend of mine in Europe is planning to manufacture and sell
an improved version of the ESR meter I designed. Problem is, he's not
sure how much it should sell for.
I've got a photo, some details of it and what I think is a good
price at http://bob.parker.web1000.com/euroesr.htm
Could you please take a look and give me your valuable comments?
Thanks! :-)

Cheers,
Bob

Hate spam? Go to http://www.bluebottle.com (It's free)

Eric

Have you got a chart for battery internal resistance?

"Bob Parker" wrote in message
news : G'day,
: A good friend of mine in Europe is planning to manufacture and sell
: an improved version of the ESR meter I designed. Problem is, he's not
: sure how much it should sell for.
: I've got a photo, some details of it and what I think is a good
: price at http://bob.parker.web1000.com/euroesr.htm
: Could you please take a look and give me your valuable comments?
: Thanks! :-)
:
: Cheers,
: Bob
:
: Hate spam? Go to http://www.bluebottle.com (It's free)

Bob Parker

I've got an "under the hood" photo of the innards of that ESR meter
on that web page now, so you can see how well it's constructed. Hit
Ctrl/refresh if you can't see it.

Bob

Hate spam? Go to http://www.bluebottle.com (It's free)
John Bachman

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 00:33:43 +1000, Bob Parker
wrote:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

But I thought yours was perfect.

Whatever made you think that? If I'd known back in 1995 that it
would become well-known, I'd have put more effort into refining it a
bit more. I thought it would be just another obscure unpopular
magazine project which would be forgotten in 6 months.

What's different besides the much cooler case and better test leads?

Big protection diodes to stop large charged caps with lots of volts
from damaging the circuitry i.e. blowing up the microcontroller.
Better displays, longer auto switch-off time, high quality components
and construction. Otherwise it's essentially the same as the existing
meter....

The only problem I have with it is that there is nothing to limit the
discharge current through the diodes. Exceed the dv/dt rating of the
capacitor under test and it might be damaged.

The meter is supposed to find bad caps, not create them.

JMHO

John

Bob Parker

G'day Mate!
Yeah, that is a concern. These kinds of things are always a
compromise... put in better protection and then it won't fit in the
nice small case.
The (re)designer of the meter into this form decided that
compactness outweighed the simplicity of the protection circuitry. If
a cap is damaged by a massive discharge current pulse, at least the
ESR meter should show that it needs to be replaced after the
accident....

Cheers,
Bob

PS- I haven't forgotten about you know what. This internet is the
worst distractor from getting anything done which has ever been
invented.

John Bachman wrote:

The only problem I have with it is that there is nothing to limit the
discharge current through the diodes. Exceed the dv/dt rating of the
capacitor under test and it might be damaged.

The meter is supposed to find bad caps, not create them.

JMHO

John

Hate spam? Go to http://www.bluebottle.com (It's free)
JURB6006

I'll take one, maybe two.

JURB

Geo

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 04:41:29 +1000, Bob Parker wrote:

I've got an "under the hood" photo of the innards of that ESR meter
on that web page now, so you can see how well it's constructed. Hit
Ctrl/refresh if you can't see it.

I cant see anything :-((
http://bob.parker.web1000.com/euroesr.htm

just keeps bringing up http://www.web1000.com/ main page

help?

Geo
Bob Parker

Hi Geo,
I dunno what the problem would be. That site's in the USA and I'm
able to access it OK from all the way down here in Australia.
Is anyone else having trouble seeing it?

Bob

Geo wrote:

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 04:41:29 +1000, Bob Parker wrote:

I've got an "under the hood" photo of the innards of that ESR meter
on that web page now, so you can see how well it's constructed. Hit
Ctrl/refresh if you can't see it.

I cant see anything :-((
http://bob.parker.web1000.com/euroesr.htm

just keeps bringing up http://www.web1000.com/ main page

help?

Geo

Hate spam? Go to http://www.bluebottle.com (It's free)
Sam Goldwasser

Bob Parker writes:

Hi Geo,
I dunno what the problem would be. That site's in the USA and I'm
able to access it OK from all the way down here in Australia.
Is anyone else having trouble seeing it?

Site works fine here if with (gasp!) java turned off.

BTW, how large a charged cap do you figure those diodes will survive?

Maybe they should be replaceable like a fuse. :-)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Laurence Dishman

Hi again Bob: I'll give you just 3 guesses which ESR meter can and
has checked the ESR of fully charged batteries in ? ;-)

Bob Parker wrote in message . ..
"Eric" wrote:

Have you got a chart for battery internal resistance?

Hmmm,
If you look closely at the photo, it says "ESR/Low Ohms Meter" on
it. I never even thought about it being used for checking batteries
until a certain Phil Allison discovered that use for it.
No, I don't have a chart of battery internal resistances, but you
can see Phil's one at http://www.flippers.com/esrkthnt.html#battery
This European meter can't check batteries anyway because the
protection diodes are connected directly across the test leads.

Hate spam? Go to http://www.bluebottle.com (It's free)

Bob Parker

For the information of anyone still watching this old thread, that ESR
meter is now being sold. Full details and user manual are available at
http://clientes.netvisao.pt/greenpal/

Bob

Hate spam? Go to http://www.bluebottle.com (It's free)

Tweetldee

"Bob Parker" wrote in message
For the information of anyone still watching this old thread, that ESR
meter is now being sold. Full details and user manual are available at
http://clientes.netvisao.pt/greenpal/

Bob

Bob, are we to understand that this version is not available outside the
countries listed on the order page (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland,
France, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland)?

--
Tweetldee
Tweetldee at att dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.

John Robertson

We sell assembled kits here in Canada...but ours is the original DS
kit... Looks much the same AFAIKS, except for case - and he has added
the two high current diodes across the inputs to protect the meter
from charged capacitors

http://www.flippers.com/esrkthnt.html

His box looks much nicer than the DS one though...

John :-#)#

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:46:45 GMT, "Tweetldee"
wrote:

"Bob Parker" wrote in message
.. .
For the information of anyone still watching this old thread, that ESR
meter is now being sold. Full details and user manual are available at
http://clientes.netvisao.pt/greenpal/

Bob

Bob, are we to understand that this version is not available outside the
countries listed on the order page (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland,
France, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland)?

(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)
www.flippers.com

Bob Parker

Bob, are we to understand that this version is not available outside the
countries listed on the order page (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland,
France, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland)?

G'day,
As far as I know, he's selling them to anyone anywhere who wants
one. That list of countries only applies to one particular method of
payment. I've told him that what he's written is confusing people and
to please change it. This is his first attempt at doing a website,
plus his English isn't perfect. :-)

Cheers,
Bob