Bob Parker

Default Ready-built ESR meter- I need *your* opinion on price.

G'day Mate!
Yeah, that is a concern. These kinds of things are always a
compromise... put in better protection and then it won't fit in the
nice small case.
The (re)designer of the meter into this form decided that
compactness outweighed the simplicity of the protection circuitry. If
a cap is damaged by a massive discharge current pulse, at least the
ESR meter should show that it needs to be replaced after the
accident....

Cheers,
Bob

PS- I haven't forgotten about you know what. This internet is the
worst distractor from getting anything done which has ever been
invented.

John Bachman wrote:

The only problem I have with it is that there is nothing to limit the
discharge current through the diodes. Exceed the dv/dt rating of the
capacitor under test and it might be damaged.

The meter is supposed to find bad caps, not create them.

JMHO

John

Hate spam? Go to http://www.bluebottle.com (It's free)