John Bachman

Default Ready-built ESR meter- I need *your* opinion on price.

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 01:52:06 GMT, (Jason D.) wrote:

Site works fine here if with (gasp!) java turned off.

BTW, how large a charged cap do you figure those diodes will survive?

Maybe they should be replaceable like a fuse. :-)

Sam,

Well, here's this one to consider.

Snap!

One dead micro and had to order two micros along another ESR meter kit
for home, so ESR meter can stay at work, kept micro as spare for
either of my two Bob Parker's ESR meters. This happened on a modest
decent cap, guessing 220uF 50V.

Oh, Diodes did work channeling most of jolts, didn't die but the surge
still escaped, knocking out that micro. When I saw spark then I
looked down at meter display was blank. DANG! Good thing both ICs
are socketed.

Try our DSESRSavr. It is a small circuit board that protects the
circuitry including the micro from damage from charged caps. Lets the
meter work fine, controls the cap discharge current and protects the
ESR all at once. It will fit inside the DS meter - a little snug but
it fits.

We developed it for the Capacitor Wizard which is not as rugged as the
DS meter and then created one for the DS meter also.

See it at
www.anatekcorp.com/testequipment/dsesrsavr.htm

John