John Bachman

Default Ready-built ESR meter- I need *your* opinion on price.

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 00:33:43 +1000, Bob Parker
wrote:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

But I thought yours was perfect.

Whatever made you think that? If I'd known back in 1995 that it
would become well-known, I'd have put more effort into refining it a
bit more. I thought it would be just another obscure unpopular
magazine project which would be forgotten in 6 months.

What's different besides the much cooler case and better test leads?

Big protection diodes to stop large charged caps with lots of volts
from damaging the circuitry i.e. blowing up the microcontroller.
Better displays, longer auto switch-off time, high quality components
and construction. Otherwise it's essentially the same as the existing
meter....

The only problem I have with it is that there is nothing to limit the
discharge current through the diodes. Exceed the dv/dt rating of the
capacitor under test and it might be damaged.

The meter is supposed to find bad caps, not create them.

JMHO

John